scaling/moderating marks? (1 Viewer)

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
do our marka get scaled or moderated like for the hsc? or do we just receive the marks we got?
because l probably got like 20 raw in my physics exam which seems to be not very far from the average mark.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
do our marka get scaled or moderated like for the hsc? or do we just receive the marks we got?
because l probably got like 20 raw in my physics exam which seems to be not very far from the average mark.
ur just like me your gonna get 20 for ur wam. BAD LUCK THATS LIFE

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
yo lance, im pretty sure you get scaled depending on how everyone else did

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
you can only be scaled up not down. If everybody did shit they'll scale everybody up because it's the fault of the faculty/exam rather than the students.

HSC
N/A
you can only be scaled up not down. If everybody did shit they'll scale everybody up because it's the fault of the faculty/exam rather than the students.
No, they will scale down. In Maths they'll scale you down if you do very well in an ordinary level subject when there was a corresponding higher one running (to be fair to the people doing the harder version). I think that the university has guidelines about how many HDs, and DNs too so that could come into it.

On the other hand, I think that most lecturers are happy to pass anyone who looks like they have learnt something so they wouldn't be looking for excuses to scale people down to a fail.

D94

HSC
N/A
You can definitely be scaled down. If the course results in a considerable number of HD and D grades, and that this does not adhere to the grade distribution of the UNSW gum leaf curve, then you can be scaled down. This is also dependent on how previous years went and how their grades were distributed. However, you can't be scaled down to fail.

If everyone did shit, they do not have to scale everyone up. The marking committee will revisit the marking criteria and attempt to redistribute marks or allocate more or less marks such that more people would pass, but only so the number of those who pass is consistent with previous years. However, if that is done and there is still a considerable number of fails, then that cohort is just shit. It is not necessarily the fault of the exam or faculty. If the students are shit, then they are shit.

Generally, it's just the raw mark. The exam may be scaled or the final mark may be scaled depending on the grade distribution. It will depend on the course. Some courses might allocate a certain percentage of HD, D etc., or, other courses might just leave it as is. Generally, they want to keep it consistent with previous years.

For PHYS1A, I assume, it's about a 40-60% fail rate over the higher and normal streams, then after the supplementary, about half of the students will pass. So about 20-30% will fail. Also, when I did it, the lecturer said there would be no scaling involved.

You will only be given a supplementary exam if the average of 50%+your final exam percentage, would give you a final pass mark of 50+. If it won't, you've unfortunately failed the course.

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for the help guys.

then that cohort is just shit.
haha well what do you expect from the first people who received highly distracting laptops?

Generally, it's just the raw mark. The exam may be scaled or the final mark may be scaled depending on the grade distribution. It will depend on the course. Some courses might allocate a certain percentage of HD, D etc., or, other courses might just leave it as is. Generally, they want to keep it consistent with previous years.

For PHYS1A, I assume, it's about a 40-60% fail rate over the higher and normal streams, then after the supplementary, about half of the students will pass. So about 20-30% will fail. Also, when I did it, the lecturer said there would be no scaling involved.

You will only be given a supplementary exam if the average of 50%+your final exam percentage, would give you a final pass mark of 50+. If it won't, you've unfortunately failed the course.
what do you mean by the average of 50%?

D94

HSC
N/A
what do you mean by the average of 50%?
(for phys1a)

So let's say the final exam is worth 60%. You've already received say 30/40 marks from the labs and quizzes. Since you have to pass the final exam to pass the course, that obviously means you'll need to get at least 30/60 in the final exam. So in your case, you reckon you'll get 20/100. So what your lecturer will do is average that mark with 50/100, which is 35/100, and convert it to a mark out of 60, i.e. 21/60, add this to the 30/40 you already have, which is a total of 51/100 which means your are eligible to sit the supplementary exam, since getting 50% in the supplementary will allow you to pass the course. That 50/100 I am referring to is the pass mark for the supplementary exam - you will have to pass this as well to pass the course. However, you will not receive the mark you get in the supplementary as your final exam mark, it will be the average of the supplementary and the first final exam mark. So if you get say 80/100 in the supplementary, your final exam mark will be the average of 80 and 20, which is 60/100 - this is your final exam mark.

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
(for phys1a)

So let's say the final exam is worth 60%. You've already received say 30/40 marks from the labs and quizzes. Since you have to pass the final exam to pass the course, that obviously means you'll need to get at least 30/60 in the final exam. So in your case, you reckon you'll get 20/100. So what your lecturer will do is average that mark with 50/100, which is 35/100, and convert it to a mark out of 60, i.e. 21/60, add this to the 30/40 you already have, which is a total of 51/100 which means your are eligible to sit the supplementary exam, since getting 50% in the supplementary will allow you to pass the course. That 50/100 I am referring to is the pass mark for the supplementary exam - you will have to pass this as well to pass the course. However, you will not receive the mark you get in the supplementary as your final exam mark, it will be the average of the supplementary and the first final exam mark. So if you get say 80/100 in the supplementary, your final exam mark will be the average of 80 and 20, which is 60/100 - this is your final exam mark.
what? really? thanks! and how did you know the mark l got for my labs and quizzes o.o

so that means probably all the people that failed the finals are going to sit the supplementary exam?
because, the average mark people get for the labs + quizzes is 32. so even if someone gets 10/100 in the final exam, they'll be able to do the supplementary?

which is surprising, as we were told that if you were 'very close' to passing the final exam and have done well for the labs and quizzes you'll be sent an invite.

D94

HSC
N/A
what? really? thanks! and how did you know the mark l got for my labs and quizzes o.o

so that means probably all the people that failed the finals are going to sit the supplementary exam?
because, the average mark people get for the labs + quizzes is 32. so even if someone gets 10/100 in the final exam, they'll be able to do the supplementary?

which is surprising, as we were told that if you were 'very close' to passing the final exam and have done well for the labs and quizzes you'll be sent an invite.
It was just an example. I don't actually know how many marks you got...

If that was the average, then yes, there will probably be a lot of people doing the supplementary. There may or may not be an absolute minimum mark, I don't know, but this has just been what they've done in previous years (but it's mainly anecdotal, so I can't guarantee they will do that again this year).

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
It was just an example. I don't actually know how many marks you got...

If that was the average, then yes, there will probably be a lot of people doing the supplementary. There may or may not be an absolute minimum mark, I don't know, but this has just been what they've done in previous years (but it's mainly anecdotal, so I can't guarantee they will do that again this year).
l know, good guess though

alright, thanks for the help. just gonna have to wait and have hope l guess :/

what is a supplementary exam???
it's for people who miss the final exam
and for others like me (hopefully), a second chance to pass the exam and save one and a half grand lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)