scaling of my subjects... pls help (1 Viewer)

ksyu

2U biology, 2U Geography, and 2U Chinese continuers...

which one scales better? maybe i don't realli understand.. say if there were 10 ppl doing chinese in the state.. and all 10 ppl did exceptionally well.. the subject gets scaled well?

i'm lost
:(

Jeo

BoS takes a look at their other subjects anyway. That is how they determine scaling. They determine using quality of course candidature.

I dont think the process is different just because there is less people in it. Every subject should work in the same way.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If there are really that little, they may check out your other subjects I'm pretty sure.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They're still initially scaled in the same way (i.e. based on the ability of the candidature, as defined by their performance across all courses), but the distributions are carefully scrutinised afterwards. It's pretty hard to scale a course with only two students without them ending up at opposite ends of the spectrum, and sometimes the non-linear transformation doesn't converge anyway, so in these cases a simpler linear transformation would be used to scale the marks.

However, that's only the process by which the marks are scaled - the degree of scaling itself (i.e. the scaled mean) is still determined using the same method as is used for other courses. It's the only objective way.

connie

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
If there was such little candidture, BOS would take a look at their other subjects.

Here is a list of how well subjects in 2001/2002 scaled.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/scaledmeans.php
i printed out the scaled means and showed a couple teachers at school they said that they were false???? (and i don't mean they just said that they were wrong, one teacher went like completely bizerkkkkk yelling and stuff!!!!! thnk god not mine ...lol damn society and culture! lol)

is that true or are they just pissed that their subjects scales so badly? i thought ipt would scale a little better? and legal ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)