• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

scaling of new computer science subjects? (1 Viewer)

yourlocaliga

HSC
N/A
does anyone know how the scaling of enterprise and computer engineering will be? - is it going to be similar to the original subjects they were changed from or do we just not know

Last edited:

lolcti

HSC
N/A
does anyone know how the scaling of multimedia and computer engineering will be? - is it going to be similar to the original subjects they were changed from or do we just not know
by computer engineering I think you mean software engineering, which will probably have relatively high scaling. Maybe close to chemistry, I feel like maximum 100-700 people will do it, let's just say 100-400. The content is difficult and some of the computer languages that will be learnt will be in university comp science classes (what my teacher said, pls don't yell at me) There will be no past papers or anything, meaning if everyone who does software engineering does bad it will be scaled up no matter what. This is because of the possible difficulty, the fact it's a new subject, syllabus, and teachers have only started preparing this year (learning themselves not many have created material/resources.) Since its the first year the subject is running, hopefully the HSC subject won't be that difficult and the scaling will be high :)

dav53521

HSC
some of the computer languages that will be learnt will be in university comp science classes
Imo, those kinda statements are kinda misleading as the languages used in uni level comp sci subjects can vary as some unis might use C or C++ which are quite difficult languages while others might use Java or Python which can be viewed as "easier" programming languages so I wouldn't really judge difficulty based off of the languages used.

Although I do agree with the statement that Software Engineering will be difficult as from what I can see they're definitely teaching more complex content compared to the subject it's replacing (SDD).

yourlocaliga

HSC
N/A
by computer engineering I think you mean software engineering, which will probably have relatively high scaling. Maybe close to chemistry, I feel like maximum 100-700 people will do it, let's just say 100-400. The content is difficult and some of the computer languages that will be learnt will be in university comp science classes (what my teacher said, pls don't yell at me) There will be no past papers or anything, meaning if everyone who does software engineering does bad it will be scaled up no matter what. This is because of the possible difficulty, the fact it's a new subject, syllabus, and teachers have only started preparing this year (learning themselves not many have created material/resources.) Since its the first year the subject is running, hopefully the HSC subject won't be that difficult and the scaling will be high :)
oooo alright thank you veryu much

lolcti

HSC
N/A
Imo, those kinda statements are kinda misleading as the languages used in uni level comp sci subjects can vary as some unis might use C or C++ which are quite difficult languages while others might use Java or Python which can be viewed as "easier" programming languages so I wouldn't really judge difficulty based off of the languages used.

Although I do agree with the statement that Software Engineering will be difficult as from what I can see they're definitely teaching more complex content compared to the subject it's replacing (SDD).
C and C++ are included in the syllabus which has been approved by nesa. This differs in many schools, but majority will be doing the same since in the end we’re all doing the same major work. Of course, I agree with what you’re saying and I don’t think it’ll be fair for us to have uni level work in yr12 which is why we’re probs not going in depth and just the basics : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)