Scaling of Subjects explanation? (1 Viewer)

eez

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, this question has probably been asked before, and i have tried the search button, but cant fird the exact page im looking for.

For subject scaling how much do they scale you up by?
i know it depends on each subject.

like for instance on the "scaling for subjects page" it has
Maths1 at +14.8
Chemistry at +6.5
IPT at -2.3

so what does this all mean?
I know the higher the numbers the better (any homer simpson can figure that out ;))

does it mean a percentage? that ext1 gets scaled 14.8%?
and ipt at -2.8%?

just kinda weird.
reason i want to know is that im getting an average of 80 in ext1 math 80 in chem and 85 in ipt

im just curios if i get those marks in the HSC, rougly how much they would get scaled up or down.

hopefully that all makes sence.

any advice is helpful.
thanks in advance

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
They are the scaled means - so it is that number +25 to find out the scaled means for each particular course. So those numbers have no direct relation to your marks - you can't just add them to your aligned marks and hope to get an accurate approximation of your scaled marks - that's why you use SAM.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You really can't quantitatively state how much any given mark will be scaled up or down.

The figures on the course scaling page indicate how marks in the course were scaled on average. You could use the following qualitative table as a rough guide:
<code>
Loading &nbsp; &nbsp; Meaning
&nbsp; &nbsp; 0.0 &nbsp; &nbsp; No scaling.
&nbsp; &nbsp; 5.0 &nbsp; &nbsp; Nominal positive scaling.
&nbsp; &nbsp;10.0 &nbsp; &nbsp; Definite positive scaling.
&nbsp; &nbsp;15.0 &nbsp; &nbsp; Significant positive scaling.
&nbsp; &nbsp;20.0 &nbsp; &nbsp; Dramatic positive scaling.
</code>
The reverse applies for negative loadings.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to know whether your mark will be increased or decreased by X points.

eez

HSC
N/A
Zara your referring to the uai scaling

I think lazarus unuess i know understood ;)

cause i was thinking if a dood did 4unit maths and another dood did general and they both get 80% then the exam how much would the BOS have scaled them

I guess no one really know how much.
btw thanks for the replys

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just remember that aligning (as dictated by those raw band cut-offs) has nothing to do with UAIs.

Chel

according to SAM if i got 88 in chemistry and 94 in latin continuers the 88 in chem would be counted and my latin would be ignored for my uai. is this right and why???

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Chel said:
according to SAM if i got 88 in chemistry and 94 in latin continuers the 88 in chem would be counted and my latin would be ignored for my uai. is this right and why???
That would be true for 2003, but not for 2002 or 2001.

SAM tells you why - the scaled mark for Chemistry is slightly higher (+0.8) than the scaled mark for Latin Continuers. This simply means that if you were competing against the candidature from 2003, it would have been just slightly harder to obtain that Chemistry mark than it would have been to obtain the Latin Continuers mark.

username

HSC
So say my rank in eco for internal assessments is first. My internal assessment mark is 85 and my hsc mark is 90, do i then get 90. But once i get this 90 do i get scaled or is this process of aligning the scaled mark?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If your HSC mark was also the highest exam mark i.e. 90, then yes that will become your moderated assessment mark.

The 90 that you see has already gone through the process of aligning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)