scaling (1 Viewer)

danz90

HSC
ziggy.zoozah said:
any mark under 70 that i receive for my macedonian continuers is transformed into at least 98. its honestly the best subject.
although im confident that i aced it and got 99 but then again, just in case i didnt, it doesnt matter because im guaranteed a good uai due to macedonian's AWESOME scaling!
woooot another maco on BOS!
*hi five*

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Zephyrio said:
The E4 cutoff for 2001's HSC was around 50/84, so yeah, I don't know. I certainly do not see half of Sefton's 2006 cohort getting 66+, 18 marks over what is normally our average for the trial. Bear in mind that 2006 was one of our worst years regarding HSC results too.
Sefton's Class of 2006 was one of the worst because of other subjects. Our maths results were pretty much on par with other years, if not better. From my own experience, most people in my 06 cohort did NOT find the 2006 paper terribly difficult lol (contrary to the general belief) and we continued the tradition that the top mark for Extension 1 was about 99 lol.

Keep in mind that the trial exam is far more difficult than the actual HSC exam, which accounts for the low average. The 2006 HSC paper was nowhere near as difficult as the trial exam, and thus our average gets moderated up because everyone performed better in the HSC exam.

Most of our band E4's in 2006 for Maths Extension 1 came from the Extension 2 group. I think about 95% of our Extension 2 population scored band E4 in Maths Extension 1. I think about 5 people who took Extension 1 ONLY (i.e. 3 unit), scored band E4 in Maths Extension 1 in 06 lol. So in my opinion, I definitely believe the top 40 of our cohort scored at least 60+/84 raw mark, because most of them came from the Extension 2 people (keep in mind the selection criteria for Extension 2 in the school is above average in Extension 1, at least in 06 anyway).

Last edited:

focused

HSC
HSC marker/tutor email:

"As you would appreciate there are different categories of students. Some found the exam challenging and others found it easy. Personally at this stage you can't tell because 5 % of canditure of students must fail. So if a lot of studs failed then you would expect a big lift in all the marks i.e. scaling up. The general rule is you should waite for your mark before making judgements because we scale your HSC test results and then average it with your moderated school assessment marks. Essentially the HSC exam is worth 50% of your totals assessment for 3 unit. This has to be taken into consideration when making judgement about which subjects will not count in your overall mark."

---------
I think a lot of students failed this exam. im estimating 63-70% raw, it will b scaled depending on how poorly people went in this exam.

lucky for most 3u students, the scaling is always good, a 70% HSC mark in 3u maths is better then 80% in 3u english (according to SAM) :D

narrowpin

HSC
focused said:
HSC marker/tutor email:

"As you would appreciate there are different categories of students. Some found the exam challenging and others found it easy. Personally at this stage you can't tell because 5 % of canditure of students must fail. So if a lot of studs failed then you would expect a big lift in all the marks i.e. scaling up. The general rule is you should waite for your mark before making judgements because we scale your HSC test results and then average it with your moderated school assessment marks. Essentially the HSC exam is worth 50% of your totals assessment for 3 unit. This has to be taken into consideration when making judgement about which subjects will not count in your overall mark."

---------
I think a lot of students failed this exam. im estimating 63-70% raw, it will b scaled depending on how poorly people went in this exam.

lucky for most 3u students, the scaling is always good, a 70% HSC mark in 3u maths is better then 80% in 3u english (according to SAM) :D
lol....."5%" of canditates must fail......and you guys were saying that 50% could get you 80+. a bit ridiculous dont you think seeing as not that many people actually fail??

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
narrowpin said:
lol....."5%" of canditates must fail......and you guys were saying that 50% could get you 80+. a bit ridiculous dont you think seeing as not that many people actually fail??
I think by 'scaling' it may have been talking about getting an aligned mark below 50%. You would be surprised at how much extension 1 is aligned up. :)

timmiitippii

HSC
narrowpin said:
lol....."5%" of canditates must fail......and you guys were saying that 50% could get you 80+. a bit ridiculous don't you think seeing as not that many people actually fail??
actually it kinda makes sense. If 5% of candidates failed the course, (taking fail as being below 50% or 25/50) and lets say the bottom 5% of all candidates scored raw marks of from 0-30% raw, then wouldn't that mean than anyone who get higher than 30% raw would end up with an above 50% aligned?
so if 30% raw already gets u towards 50%, then 50% raw will be appropriately higher too so its not too ridiculous in saying 50% could get you 80+ depending on how the marks are distributed, since the standard deviation is different between each cut off with a majority of candidates managing an e3 according to BOS statistics.

But i know what u mean in wouldn't want to get our hopes up and be too unrealistic, but however at least its some form of perspective for those who thought they did really bad when really it was just a hard/long/different paper.

timmiitippii

HSC
lou071 said:
what about 61/84?
sorry i really don't know since there is nothing i can compare it to except speculated estimates. I compared my one to Andrew Harvey's results and the assumption and belief that 08 was harder than 07.
And **if** ur mark gets u into the 80's, then the distribution of marks is completely different to marks in the 90's too since each band cut-off has different formula, so it would be even harder to tell. At least i'm pretty sure that marks are alligned more the lower they get until a bit past half way on the low side. i.e. it gets harder to get an even higher mark the closer u get to 100, so like "lets say" a 63 raw could get 92 but a 71 raw would only get 96 and 80 raw a 99 etc... *random figures*

Basically we just have to hope that board of studies do agree that they should lower the cut-off this year since i can confidentally say that 08 imo was harder than 06 and even more so than 07

narrowpin

HSC
timmiitippii said:
sorry i really don't know since there is nothing i can compare it to except speculated estimates. I compared my one to Andrew Harvey's results and the assumption and belief that 08 was harder than 07.
And **if** ur mark gets u into the 80's, then the distribution of marks is completely different to marks in the 90's too since each band cut-off has different formula, so it would be even harder to tell. At least i'm pretty sure that marks are alligned more the lower they get until a bit past half way on the low side. i.e. it gets harder to get an even higher mark the closer u get to 100, so like "lets say" a 63 raw could get 92 but a 71 raw would only get 96 and 80 raw a 99 etc... *random figures*

Basically we just have to hope that board of studies do agree that they should lower the cut-off this year since i can confidentally say that 08 imo was harder than 06 and even more so than 07
wait, so theres no(how much?) hope of his 61 getting into the 90's?

reuben.young

HSC
the way i got it explained to me was that as ur raw marks get higher, the scale exponentially decreases... cos they try make the majority of students get above 50%

my teacher is also a hsc marker and he said that this test was a hard one, and that 45% will be the ave raw mark for the whole candidature...

that means that 1/2 the student will get above 45% and 1/2 below, and as they want the majority to pass they move the people who got below 45% (raw) and move them to a 50% (scaled), then everone above moves up in scaling exponentially, like i said b4.

I-Love-Jesus

HSC
wait, so theres no(how much?) hope of his 61 getting into the 90's?
Depending on the difficulty of the exam, 61/84 could align to anything up to 91/92. But that would have to be quite a difficult exam. So with this year's exam, I would say you definitely have a chance of a band E4 with 61/84. If you're unlucky though, it may only be 89. Hopefully 90 or 91 :)

narrowpin

HSC
BradlovesJesus said:
Depending on the difficulty of the exam, 61/84 could align to anything up to 91/92. But that would have to be quite a difficult exam. So with this year's exam, I would say you definitely have a chance of a band E4 with 61/84. If you're unlucky though, it may only be 89. Hopefully 90 or 91 :)
haha man, i love the way you say it "may only" be 89. i dont think 61 deserves anythign above 82-83 to tell you the truth, but hey, i'll take what i can get.

poisonives

coolest member
HSC
narrowpin said:
haha man, i love the way you say it "may only" be 89. i dont think 61 deserves anythign above 82-83 to tell you the truth, but hey, i'll take what i can get.
WTF, what do u mean 'deserves'? Who cares what you think, whatever the BOS does, deal with it.

guaranteed 61 will align to 90.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)