Scaling (1 Viewer)

Karalika

HSC
Our deputy principle here says that subjects are no longer scaled down though I have not heard this in other places. Do they still get scaled down? I'm trying to decide whether to do senior science or some other science like maybe biology in year 11 but if I choose senior science I'm not sure if it would be scaled down or not.

bob fossil

HSC
Our deputy principle here says that subjects are no longer scaled down though I have not heard this in other places. Do they still get scaled down? I'm trying to decide whether to do senior science or some other science like maybe biology in year 11 but if I choose senior science I'm not sure if it would be scaled down or not.

All subjects scale down except maths ext1 and maths ext2.

Do bio it is really easy and you can always drop back to senior science.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
All subjects scale down except maths ext1 and maths ext2.

Do bio it is really easy and you can always drop back to senior science.
+1 Your deputy has no idea what he/she is talking about.

However, keep in mind that you should be concerned with relative scaling not the literal scaling described above. I do suggest you give bio a shot though seeing as senior science notoriously has a weak cohort and so super crap scaling :)

Karalika

HSC
What's the difference between relative scaling and literal scaling?
I'm not sure where the deputy got the information of it not being scaled down, I didn't think it was all too likely though so I decided to check here. Also with my selection between senior science and another science I don't want it to be too hard since I would be completing it through distance education due to science running at the same time as Visual Art (I've never tried doing a subject through distance before). On one hand I'm not sure how well I would do in Biology and the reason I was thinking of doing Senior Science was because I am not sure what science I want to do and thought it would have more variety. On the other hand I don't want super crap scaling (from the looks of my subjects it may not be too good).

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
What's the difference between relative scaling and literal scaling?
I'm not sure where the deputy got the information of it not being scaled down, I didn't think it was all too likely though so I decided to check here. Also with my selection between senior science and another science I don't want it to be too hard since I would be completing it through distance education due to science running at the same time as Visual Art (I've never tried doing a subject through distance before). On one hand I'm not sure how well I would do in Biology and the reason I was thinking of doing Senior Science was because I am not sure what science I want to do and thought it would have more variety. On the other hand I don't want super crap scaling (from the looks of my subjects it may not be too good).
Well literally the only subject that scales up is Maths Extension 2, Maths Extension 1 stays stable (aligned mark given to you by BoS pretty much = scaled mark) while everything scales down.

When talking about relative scaling subjects like Senior Science, VA, Entertainment etc etc scaled down badly while Biology, Legal Studies and Modern history scale well. Subjects Economics, chemistry and physics scale very well, maths extension 1 scales up greatly and maths extension 2 has monster scaling.

If you do a lower scaled subject it just means you need a higher aligned mark (the one BoS gives you) to get the same scaled mark for a high scaling subject (which shouldn't theoretically be any harder because you're competing against a "weaker" cohort).

Basically, if you do really well in subjects scaling won't affect you that much.

Unless you want a UAI > 99.50 then don't worry too much about scaling. Just choose subjects you enjoy and try your best in them. I suggest you go to the library and flick through HSC science books to see which one interests you the most :) Oh and i don't do it but i heard bio isn't hard - it's just got a lot of content.

Karalika

HSC
Thanks for the info. So if I choose Senior Science and do good in it would the mark come out better than if I do Biology and just get an OK mark?

I don't really have much time to look in the Library (gotta make up my mind by tomorrow-I often have problems making up my mind and choosing things).

I plan on going to Uni sometime and it like needs a UAI (I think its called ATAR now isn't it?) doesn't it? Though I'm not really sure what I would be doing there yet so I'm not sure if I need something high. I was thinking of maybe psychology or something.

HSC
Thanks for the info. So if I choose Senior Science and do good in it would the mark come out better than if I do Biology and just get an OK mark?

I don't really have much time to look in the Library (gotta make up my mind by tomorrow-I often have problems making up my mind and choosing things).

I plan on going to Uni sometime and it like needs a UAI (I think its called ATAR now isn't it?) doesn't it? Though I'm not really sure what I would be doing there yet so I'm not sure if I need something high. I was thinking of maybe psychology or something.
It is called ATAR + which uni are you planning to go to?

Karalika

HSC
I have no idea which uni I might be going to yet. I thought I'd figure that out in year 11 or 12.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

Yeah it's called an ATAR instead of a UAI now.

Without regards to your question, i'd rather get an ok mark in bio than do good in Senior Science - the difference in scaling is quite large. And plus, as bob fossil said you can always drop down to Senior Science but you can do it the other way around.

Karalika

HSC
Nothing is set in stone for uni yet. I'm just using some ideas I have for it, if I have an idea I may as well try it. I don't get ideas for things like this too often. Until I find something I really like I don't really have much else to go off.

anna- you mean can't, right?

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Nothing is set in stone for uni yet. I'm just using some ideas I have for it, if I have an idea I may as well try it. I don't get ideas for things like this too often. Until I find something I really like I don't really have much else to go off.

yeah she means can't

bob fossil

HSC

Senior science is pretty much like year 9 and 10 science. Id say its closest to general maths, it a relatively easy subject. Chances are that you wont find it interesting because you ahve already heaps of it.

I strongly advise to take bio because you can always fall back on senior science, but i doubt you will most of bio is common knowledge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)