Scaling (1 Viewer)

Maraos

HSC
If you don't like the teacher, you wont enjoy the subject and you'll loose a lot of motivation throughout the course. If you're enjoying and doing really well in D&T, I think that'll be the better option for you. Its major counts for 60% of your HSC Mark for the subject, unlike Chem, the stress is spread across the year rather then being focused into a couple months of built up stress towards the HSC. You get rewarded with a 1h 30min test compared to a long 3h test. That's just my two cents on the topic.
Yeah true. That's kinda how i felt in Chem this year for year 11, it was such a trek mainly because of teacher and the content (compared to physics it was awful). What's your opinion on D.T scaling? Are you doing D.T this year?

Maraos

HSC
DROP X History, from experience its the worst subject
Im kinda just trying it out. I might drop throughout the year if im not enjoying it. The reason why I picked it up was because I did really well in history for pre-lims and ive got probably the best teacher in the state. So i dunno seemed like a good idea

D94

HSC
N/A
KEEP X History, from experience its the best subject

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for the replies... Still undecided..

From what i've researched (looking at the UAC scaling table A3) Getting in the 99th percentile for D.T (top 1%) is the same as getting in the 90th percentile for chem.... That seems really hard......
Since you're first in D&T it IS possible for you to get that top 1%. If it was all about the percentile you need, I would've dropped bio instead of chem as bio scales lower and you need a higher percentile. However, I enjoy bio more and I am doing better in it so I dropped chem.

I recommend drop chem and keep D&T as you will be more motivated to do D&T since you like it and you are first in it.

Maraos

HSC
anymore thoughts?? need to decide tonight... still undecided. Got my mark back for prelim chem i got 76 which was my lowest mark for DT i got 94..... I dunno so confused............... however i was ranked 10/40 for chem which isnt bad

Last edited:

Mosski

HSC
anymore thoughts?? need to decide tonight... still undecided. Got my mark back for prelim chem i got 76 which was my lowest mark for DT i got 94..... I dunno so confused............... however i was ranked 10/40 for chem which isnt bad
You don't seem to be going poorly in Chemistry, I suggest keeping it for this term and using that time to think about if you want to drop it or not. You could drop it before trials. The only problem is if you want a study period to study for your other subjects.

Maraos

HSC
You don't seem to be going poorly in Chemistry, I suggest keeping it for this term and using that time to think about if you want to drop it or not. You could drop it before trials. The only problem is if you want a study period to study for your other subjects.
yeah but isnt it better to hit year 12 knowing your exact plan of attack. Plus keeping a subject (and trialing it out) for the first term will just lower the potential marks in other subjects since time is marks essentially

Mosski

HSC
yeah but isnt it better to hit year 12 knowing your exact plan of attack. Plus keeping a subject (and trialing it out) for the first term will just lower the potential marks in other subjects since time is marks essentially
That's true, I'm actually dropping Chemistry but that's because I'm going pretty bad in it and I don't enjoy it. I feel like it was a mistake to choose it as it won't help me with my career path anyway. I think by dropping it, this will help me with my other subjects so I'm going to do it. This is entirely up to you with whether you want to try in this subject or just drop it for time to study for other subjects. Both choices have their positives and negatives.

Arzenn

HSC
Yeah true. That's kinda how i felt in Chem this year for year 11, it was such a trek mainly because of teacher and the content (compared to physics it was awful). What's your opinion on D.T scaling? Are you doing D.T this year?
Sorry for the late reply I haven't been on as I've been studying for the HSC, I did D&T the last two years. D&T does not scale as well as the science subjects but if you really enjoy it and have a "curious design-ey brain" (as my teacher likes to say it) then D&T should be a pice of cake.

Mosski

HSC
Sorry for the late reply I haven't been on as I've been studying for the HSC, I did D&T the last two years. D&T does not scale as well as the science subjects but if you really enjoy it and have a "curious design-ey brain" (as my teacher likes to say it) then D&T should be a pice of cake.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you make for the major project? I've been thinking about it and I'm going to be making a board game coffee table. So like a built in chess board with it also being a checkers board and I'll try to think of other things it could be.

Maraos

HSC
Yeah well I am an electronic and robotic enthusiasts and i was thinking of making something that reflected my passions and hobbies, so something electronic/robotic. Do you think that would go well for a major work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)