Scaling (1 Viewer)

Maraos

HSC
Please help!

I am going into year 12 next term and I need to decide whether or not i want to drop Design and technology or Chemistry.
For pre-lim D.T I ranked 1st out of about 21 boys
For chemistry i ranked in the top 10.

I really don't know what to do. One of my biggest concerns with keeping D.T is the scaling. Tbh i have no idea what to believe anymore since everyone has a different story on how low scaling subjects (such as D.T) go.
So could someone please clarify, according to my careers adviser it is impossible to get 100 in D.T. A 100 Bostes mark scales down to about 92 which is very unattractive to me. Is this true? Is it possible to get a high mark in D.T (95-100) or does the scaling just bring your marks down. I really don't want to put a large amount of effort into the subject and then my mark goes down to a relatively low mark. I know that this doesn't happen in chemistry however I didn't really enjoy chemistry this year and If it wasn't for the scaling I would probably drop it.

Maraos

HSC
Yeah but im ranked 1st in D.T....... And i've got a terrible teacher for chem...

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah but im ranked 1st in D.T....... And i've got a terrible teacher for chem...
Doesn't matter if you have a horrible teacher for chem. Just keep the subject and self learn it

WildestDreams

HSC
Do what you like! Plus, if you are good in D&T theres a chance you could state rank. IF you are unsure, I advise you too keep your subjects - do the first few assessments and see how you go.

Maraos

HSC
Unfortunately I need to drop one since im doing 14 units
- Maths 3 Unit (2 units accelerated)
- Physics
- Chem
- Ancient History
- Extension History
- Design and Tech
- English Advanced

So i need to drop one. 14 is a killer. Plus if i drop one ill only be doing 10 units in year 12 since i've already done 2 unit maths

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Unfortunately I need to drop one since im doing 14 units
- Maths 3 Unit (2 units accelerated)
- Physics
- Chem
- Ancient History
- Extension History
- Design and Tech
- English Advanced

So i need to drop one. 14 is a killer. Plus if i drop one ill only be doing 10 units in year 12 since i've already done 2 unit maths
If I were you I'd drop either Ancient or DT

Mosski

HSC
I'm in the similar circumstance, I do both DAT and Chemistry but I'm horrible at Chemistry with my rank being 2nd last. My rank in DAT isn't to bad and I find the subject fairly easy with it also being fun so I'm moving towards dropping Chemistry. Don't think that because the subject scales well you should keep it. Especially if you dislike it

D94

HSC
N/A
Keep what you like and drop what you don't like. You will likely do better in subjects that you enjoy. Forget about scaling.

leehuan

HSC
If I were you I'd drop either Ancient or DT
Dropping ancient would also mean extension history has to be dropped.

@OP Forget about scaling.

Maraos

HSC
Thanks for the replies... Still undecided..

From what i've researched (looking at the UAC scaling table A3) Getting in the 99th percentile for D.T (top 1%) is the same as getting in the 90th percentile for chem.... That seems really hard......

leehuan

HSC

From what i've researched (looking at the UAC scaling table A3) Getting in the 99th percentile for D.T (top 1%) is the same as getting in the 90th percentile for chem.... That seems really hard......
Forget about scaling.

People have gotten 99+ doing visual arts and drama and etc before. If all you think about is scaling you wouldn't expected this to have been possible.

Arzenn

HSC

If you don't like the teacher, you wont enjoy the subject and you'll loose a lot of motivation throughout the course. If you're enjoying and doing really well in D&T, I think that'll be the better option for you. Its major counts for 60% of your HSC Mark for the subject, unlike Chem, the stress is spread across the year rather then being focused into a couple months of built up stress towards the HSC. You get rewarded with a 1h 30min test compared to a long 3h test. That's just my two cents on the topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)