Scaling (1 Viewer)

jenii14

HSC
N/A
I'm currently first in legal studies and fifth in business studies with a difference of 2 marks. How does scaling work? I didn't really consider it and now I'm freaking out thinking I should have chosen higher scaling subjects because I don't want my marks to come down.

ultra908

HSC
this information about your internals can't rlly be used to determine ur final atar rn, but it sounds like ur doing great in both subjects! About scaling in general, legal and business aren't rlly very low scaling subjects, they're probably mid of the pack (though legal is higher up there). Scaling overall isnt rlly a great determinant of what subjects to do tho. If your doing good in ur subjects (and it sounds like u r), theres no reason why u cant get a great final ATAR, regardless of subject.

studiesofboard

HSC
https://www.matrix.edu.au/beginners-guide-to-atar-scaling/how-hsc-marks-are-calculated/

Last edited:

jenii14

HSC
N/A
this information about your internals can't rlly be used to determine ur final atar rn, but it sounds like ur doing great in both subjects! About scaling in general, legal and business aren't rlly very low scaling subjects, they're probably mid of the pack (though legal is higher up there). Scaling overall isnt rlly a great determinant of what subjects to do tho. If your doing good in ur subjects (and it sounds like u r), theres no reason why u cant get a great final ATAR, regardless of subject.
Thanks for the help, if I do better in my hsc exams will that pull of my internals? I don't really understand how it works still

quickoats

HSC
Thanks for the help, if I do better in my hsc exams will that pull of my internals? I don't really understand how it works still
Your raw school marks (averaging up all your assessment marks in school) are not ‘scaled’, they are moderated. There’s a few things on BoS about how moderation works and it’s not too difficult to understand - the confusing one is scaling which is not reliant on your in school marks.

If you’re able to maintain (or even improve) on your ranks, you should be fine for the HSC :)

hschelper01

HSC
Honestly, there are plenty of materials on this very forum - they helped me last year :biglaugh:🤷‍♀️..

hschelper01

HSC
Also, @Trebla explains things quite well here:

It's also quite an entertaining read (you'll understand once you read the whole thread 😂😂)...

Hope it helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)