scaling (1 Viewer)

juliastiles

HSC
how does scaling work? like if i get an 86-88 in business studies raw in my exam what will that scale to? i thought we just had our raw marks and moderated school marks added together this whole time lol

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The technical term for the process that you are referring to is alignment. Scaling is a different process that is done by UAC.

Essentially, when a student completes an HSC exam, their paper is then marked. The original mark that is recorded on that paper with no adjustments of any kind is called a raw mark. NESA does not inform students of their raw marks. Raw marks are subsequently aligned, meaning that they are modified/adjusted. This modification/adjustment results in an aligned mark. NESA informs students of their aligned marks as their Examination Marks.

I believe alignment would be different every year, although the difference should not be substantial.

To answer your question, if you achieve a raw mark between 86 and 88 in your Business Studies HSC exam, it is likely that you will receive an Examination Mark that falls in the low to mid 90's region (i.e. band 6). Keep in mind that the Examination Mark constitutes 50% of your HSC mark for Business Studies.

You are not that far from knowing how the HSC mark is determined. The HSC mark is determined by taking the average of the student's Assessment Mark (which you have correctly identified that it is moderated) and Examination Mark.

I hope this helps! 😄

mikrokosmos

HSC
The technical term for the process that you are referring to is alignment. Scaling is a different process that is done by UAC.

Essentially, when a student completes an HSC exam, their paper is then marked. The original mark that is recorded on that paper with no adjustments of any kind is called a raw mark. NESA does not inform students of their raw marks. Raw marks are subsequently aligned, meaning that they are modified/adjusted. This modification/adjustment results in an aligned mark. NESA informs students of their aligned marks as their Examination Marks.

I believe alignment would be different every year, although the difference should not be substantial.

To answer your question, if you achieve a raw mark between 86 and 88 in your Business Studies HSC exam, it is likely that you will receive an Examination Mark that falls in the low to mid 90's region (i.e. band 6). Keep in mind that the Examination Mark constitutes 50% of your HSC mark for Business Studies.

You are not that far from knowing how the HSC mark is determined. The HSC mark is determined by taking the average of the student's Assessment Mark (which you have correctly identified that it is moderated) and Examination Mark.

I hope this helps! 😄
Hey! Dumb question but what factors affect their alignment for example as u said for business going from 86 to low 90s? And where do your school ranks come into play?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey! Dumb question but what factors affect their alignment for example as u said for business going from 86 to low 90s? And where do your school ranks come into play?
Regarding alignment, each year, HSC markers gather for each subject and discuss what the raw-mark cutoffs should be for the various performance bands. HSC markers would look at the achievements required in each band by referring to the student outcomes, abilities required for a band 6, a band 5 and so on, for each exam. For example, they may decide that for one particular hard year for Chemistry, a raw mark of 73 or above is a band 6, and 64 to 73 is a band 5, and 57 to 64 is a band 3 and so on.

Factors such as your ranks relative to your cohort and school ranks are relevant to the Assessment Mark, which is subject to the moderation process. Your Examination Mark (i.e. your external mark) is solely dependent on your performance in the HSC exam of a particular exam and is unaffected by your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank.

mikrokosmos

HSC
Regarding alignment, each year, HSC markers gather for each subject and talk about what the raw-mark cutoffs should be for the various performance bands. HSC markers would look at the achievements required in each band by referring to the student outcomes, abilities required for a band 6, a band 5 and so on, for each exam. For example, they may decide that for one particular hard year for Chemistry, a raw mark of 73 or above is a band 6, and 64 to 73 is a band 5, and 57 to 64 is a band 3 and so on.

Factors such as your ranks relative to your cohort and school ranks are relevant to the Assessment Mark, which is subject to the moderation process. Your Examination Mark (i.e. your external mark) is solely dependent on your performance in the HSC exam of a particular exam and is unaffected by your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank.
Ohh right! Thank you so much! I really appreciate it 😊

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)