Scholarships (1 Viewer)

margaret_gn

HSC
I just got an e-mail sent to my usyd address, apparently I got a scholarship, and it said that I'm invited to a science faculty prizes and scholarships night on Wednesday May 11th, and it was totally unexpected as I got rejected for the usyd outstanding achievement scholarships (that was a while ago at end of last year) and I hadn't heard anything else from them since. Well the e-mail did say that I was supposed to get a letter from the dean early next week explaining what scholarship I got, but I'm just curious if other people get told this late as well (that they're getting a scholarship)? :confused:

04er

HSC
margaret_gn said:
I just got an e-mail sent to my usyd address, apparently I got a scholarship, and it said that I'm invited to a science faculty prizes and scholarships night on Wednesday May 11th, and it was totally unexpected as I got rejected for the usyd outstanding achievement scholarships (that was a while ago at end of last year) and I hadn't heard anything else from them since. Well the e-mail did say that I was supposed to get a letter from the dean early next week explaining what scholarship I got, but I'm just curious if other people get told this late as well (that they're getting a scholarship)? :confused:
wow congratulations :) I'm surprised at how late they told you... but seriously, that's awesome! You must be thrilled!

nit

HSC
oh, so these invitations mean extra scholarships, or is that only in some cases? I got a UAI scholarship and a med faculty scholarship which meant that I wasn't eligible for the science one I'd already received...I have a feeling that the outstanding achievement UAI scholarship is administered by the faculty of study though...*hopes for scholarship*

04er

HSC
nit said:
oh, so these invitations mean extra scholarships, or is that only in some cases? I got a UAI scholarship and a med faculty scholarship which meant that I wasn't eligible for the science one I'd already received...I have a feeling that the outstanding achievement UAI scholarship is administered by the faculty of study though...*hopes for scholarship*
How many scholarships do you already have? and you want another one? :confused: Greedy! :p

Plebeian

Generally, I don't think so. I think if you already have a scholarship, you're not getting another one ... for example, I have a USyd scholarship with merit which was in fact awarded through engineering, not science. I think I'm just invited because I also study science, and I basically just ignored the part about receiving a cheque for half the value of my scholarship at this prizes and scholarships dinner.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I got one of those emails last night too inviting me to ceremony on May 11th. Its a complete mystery what i got it for, but im thinking its the mathematics scholarship, and if thats the case itll only be like $500-$1000. Does anyone know if we still get them if we say we cant make it?

The only ones im really eligible for are:

Barker Scholarship No. III $600
Awarded automatically after enrolment for proficiency in Mathematics in the HSC. Must enrol in 12 credit points of Junior Mathematics in the Faculties of either Arts, Engineering or Science.

E. Trenchard Miller Memorial Scholarships $1000
Awarded automatically after enrolment for general proficiency in the HSC.

Horner Exhibition $500
Awarded automatically after enrolment for proficiency in Mathematics at the HSC, to candidates in the faculties of Science, Arts or Engineering. Must enrol in 12 credit points of Junior Mathematics.

John West Medal $400
Awarded automatically after enrolment for general proficiency in the HSC.

Oh well i guess ill have to wait for the letter

Last edited:

picaresque

HSC
nit said:
Do you mean you have the outstanding achievement scholarship and a faculty scholarship? Or you're hoping to hold both? Because I wasn't aware it worked like that. I accepted the distinction scholarship from the faculty of business and economics and had to turn down the scholarship for outstanding achievement - I called up the scholarship office and they said you can't simultaneously hold two scholarships from within the university.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I was under the impression that you can receive a second as long as it wasnt more than the one you currently hold.

picaresque

HSC
True, but that clause was applicable to both scholarships in this instance. Some one-off scholarships might not have it.
Certainly the $5000 is less than the $10,000, but conversely, the $10,000 is more than the $5000. And I'd rather take the 10 grand. :p

SeDaTeD

HSC
I got an email too last night. Got it for Farrand Scholarship and Science scholarship, along with an invite to the ceremony. Whoa, I thought I just never got one. Though they never sent me a rejection letter from Science.

envy87

HSC
so are ppl going to the scholarship presentation thingy?...i got an email last night too

margaret_gn

HSC
yeah I'm going :) have to sacrifice the day's tutoring job though but it's cool, now that I've established that it wasn't a hoax lol!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I may go, depends on whether i can be bothered. Ill be at uni from 3-5 so i guess i could stay for the ceremony at 6. Depends on whether im tired or not

Last edited:

04er

HSC
acmilan said:
I may go, depends on whether i cant be bothered. Ill be at uni from 3-5 so i guess i could stay for the ceremony at 6. Depends on whether im tired or not
same, but i finish at 4. How long will the economics and business scholarship ceremony go on for? Is it really formal? Do we still get the certificate (not cheque) if we don't go? :confused:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Got the reply today after asking whether we had to attend:

Not at all. You have scored the IT entry prize. If you are unable to attend
you are most welcome to collect your certificate and cheque ($1000
paid each semester this year) after 12th May from the Faculty of Science
during counter hours 10.00-4.00 Monday-Thursday and from 10.00-1.00pm on
Fridays.

I would be very grateful if you could let me know whether you are able to
attend the ceremony or not because the catering for the evening is well
above the usual standard of University Union fare and costs accordingly.

Students who are able to attend the ceremony receive their cheque and a
certificate from a senior academic member of staff.

yours sincerely

Suzanne

Meh 2000 is way better than I expected to get. Is the faculty of Science that place in Carslaw?

margaret_gn

HSC
acmilan said:
the catering for the evening is well
above the usual standard of University Union fare and costs accordingly
Why would you want to not attend??? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)