Scholarships? (1 Viewer)

darkroomgirl

HSC
melsc said:
yay! do u know anything about the scholarship, they didnt tell me much

wat are we going to do while we wait 4 d day since it starts at 4?
It starts at 4? Mine says it starts at 12 noon.... they're not gonna be doing it individually, right?! HORRORS!

I didn't apply for it either.. I think it's called a SuperStart Scholarship and they just called me based on my results. :)

MaryJ_

HSC
Looks like I won't be seeing any of you there :( I'm going to the Scholarships Morning Tea. I think the morning tea is for the Vice Chancellor's Leadership Scholarhsip recipients, and the Luncheon is for people who didn't apply, but got really good UAI's and were targetted. I had to apply for mine and go to an interview, so I'm guessing the conditions and details are different.

butterflybird

HSC
hey i got an academic excellence scholarship from uws and am going to the 'morning tea' thingo

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^ Yeah alll the people who applied for scholarships seem to be going to the morning tea, I think those who were given them based on UAI results are going to the lunch...You guys going to D day afterwards?

MaryJ_

HSC
I don't think I'll stick around for D Day. I'm missing out on a day at the Entrance to fo to the Morning Tea so I'll probably head up the coast right afterwards. It sounds like it would be worthwhile to attend, but what's more important, my holiday or my future? Okay, it's best not to answer that one haha.

casebash

HSC
Yeh, like a year ago i got 0 in the finals of some programming comp, but since i made it to the finals i got offered a 1500 scholarship for the first year if i did a computing subject. Small money, not nearly enough to convince me to change preferences.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
PiGMAN said:
highest ranked uni for what? all the polls i've seen (time magazine etc) had unsw as australias best.
How can you judge/gauge what the 'best university' is?

Polls are exactly that- polls. It's subjective. And then even if you rate a university, you can't possibly take into account the quality of all the different courses, and their job prospects, etc...

On a sidenote, I'm intending to go to UNSW =]

Carnivour

HSC
I've actually researched a fair bit into this issue of international rankings of unis since I would like to study abroad.

ANU is Australia's highest rated university on the international scale. see http://www.ccer.pku.edu.cn/ss/world-rankingsUnis.pdf if you are interested for a full list of the top 100 or so unis in the world. Note, this is the most common ranking I've seen being referred to. If you are interested on a more internationally viable degree, ANU is the place to go. USyd seems to have domestic prestige that doesnt extend beyond the country's borders, with ANU and University of Melbourne being more recognised world-wide.

IcEy

HSC
I like melbourne uni and I really like melbourne, and I don't like sydney, nor do I really like sydney uni. I mean, gargoyles? Wtf? who cares about gargoyles! (its on their site).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But what about quality of course? Some universities are known to be better than others in say.. law or commerce.

As for USYD's prestige- i think it extends to a lot of 3rd world asian countries...

kristy_lee26

HSC
i have just heard that i have been offered a $5000 Scholarship at Southern Cross and i have been accepted into their Law/Social Science degree and i didn't even recieve the 2004 cutoff for the course. While SCU wasn't my first preference, and i think i can get into some better Uni's, my career's advisor told me at the beginning of last year, how cares what uni you go to if you walk out with a degree and haven't paid for it. Therefore i am taking it (unless offered a scholarship at James Cook) and will change uni's the next year if i decide that SCU is not for me, at least i get $5000. And there is another major plus: i am in America at the moment n i am working over here for a year and i am so homesick that i have decided i never want to move away from home and wholla i get this scholarship that is at a uni only an hour away from my family

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha that advice contradicts what we were told- you should pick your uni preference first, and then if a scholarship for your uni and course preference arises... good. But don't pick a uni just because they offered you a scholarship.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
PiGMAN said:
highest ranked uni for what? all the polls i've seen (time magazine etc) had unsw as australias best.
It was from the 2005 Times Higher Education Rankings as seen here:
The Times Higher Education Supplement world university Top 20. Last year's rankings are in brackets.

1 (1) Harvard University US
2 (3) Massachusetts Institute of Technology US
3 (6) Cambridge University UK
4 (5) Oxford University UK
5 (7) Stanford University US
6 (2) University of California, Berkeley US
7 (8) Yale University US
8 (4) California Institute of Technology US
9 (9) Princeton University US
10 (27) Ecole Polytechnique France
11- (52) Duke University US
11- (11) London School of Economics UK
13 (14) Imperial College London UK
14 (23) Cornell University US
15 (17) Beijing University China
16 (12) Tokyo University Japan
17- (20) University ofCalifornia, San Francisco US
17- (13) University of Chicago US
19 (22) Melbourne University Australia20 (19) Columbia University US

Rankings for broad study areas are as follows:
Fourteen Australian institutions were ranked in the top 100 for biomedicine, including (worldwide ranks in brackets):
Melbourne (10)
Sydney (18)
ANU (21)
Monash (28)
UQ (equal 29)
UNSW (41)
QUT (47)
Macquarie (57)
Newcastle (63)
UniSA (76)
UWA (equal 82)
and La Trobe and UTS (equal 86).

Twelve Australian universities were rated in the top 100 social science institutions. They were:
Melbourne (11)
ANU (15)
Monash (equal 17)
Sydney (19)
UNSW (24)
UQ (25)
RMIT (37)
Macquarie (equal 46)
La Trobe (equal 68)
Curtin and the UTAS (equal 96)
and Newcastle (equal 99).

Eleven Australian institutions were ranked In a list of the world’s top arts and humanities universities, including:
Melbourne (8)
ANU (11)
La Trobe and Monash (equal 23)
UTS (29)
Macquarie and Sydney (equal 36)
UWA (equal 45)
UNSW (equal 52)
RMIT (equal 56)
and UQ (equal 89).

The list of the world’s top 100 technology universities also featured 11 Australian institutions:
UNSW (16)
Melbourne (18)
Monash (24)
ANU (29)
UQ (40)
Sydney (48)
QUT (equal 67)
UTS (70)
Adelaide (79)
RMIT (equal 90)
and Curtin (96).

Six Australian institutions featured in the ratings for science universities, including:
ANU (13)
Melbourne (32)
Sydney (37)
Monash (39)
UNSW (40)
and UQ (56).

You Sydn-arians...*pfft* :)

IcEy

HSC
I Just Got The National Scholarship To Melbourne!!!

Omg Omg Omg!!!!!

gorgo31

HSC
IcEy said:
I Just Got The National Scholarship To Melbourne!!!

Omg Omg Omg!!!!!
Woah, congratulations! That's exceptional. All your tuition fees and return flights paid for. No way you can't go to Melbourne now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)