School bars same-sex partners at formals (1 Viewer)

Zrap

glock9
HSC
A senior Anglican education official in NSW has declared that people who believe in the Bible should not expect to be allowed to take same-sex partners to school balls because Christianity frowns on homosexuality.
Laurie Scandrett, chief executive of the Sydney Anglican Schools Corporation, which oversees 15 of the 40 Anglican Schools in the NSW capital, has backed a controversial decision by a leading Brisbane Anglican boys school to prevent final year students from taking same-sex partners to its formal.
Dr Scandrett said there was no "edict" among its schools preventing gay students from taking their partners to school formals but it "would not be encouraged".
"The school formal is meant to be a formal dance between a young man and a young woman, not a young man and a young man," he said.
"If you believe what the Bible says, that's how you should behave or act. It boils down to what you believe.
"The Bible is very strong that marriage is between a man and a woman and homosexual relationships are not permissible in a sense, not encouraged, they are spoken very strongly against."
Dr Scandrett said he did have some sympathy for gay students who wished to take their partners to the coming-of-age function but people knew the position of Anglican schools on homosexuality when they enrolled.
"Most parents send their children to our schools because of the Christian values that our schools espouse, because our schools stand for biblical values," he said.
"We love all our [gay] students as we do all people in our churches but their lifestyle is not encouraged, particularly if it was a promiscuous lifestyle. We are dealing with young people here.
"In Sydney, a homosexual person is valued because they are a person but would not be appointed to a position in the diocese, but would be welcome in our churches because everyone is welcome."
Dr Scandrett said Anglican schools in NSW were permitted to ban gay couples at school events if they chose to.
"Each school is a legal individual entity," he said.
"In NSW the schools are exempted in the Anti-Discrimination Act so whatever decision the school made, they would be entitled to make it."
NSW Anti-Discrimination Board president Stephen Kerkyasharian and Anglican Archbishop of Sydney Peter Jensen have been contacted for comment.
Kelvin Canavan, executive director of Catholic Schools in Sydney, said the issue had never been raised in the Sydney Catholic education system but was unwilling to comment on what his response would be if it emerged in the future.
"If it ever does come up I will answer the question then," he said.
Public schools in NSW must adhere to the Anti-Discrimination Act and have been directed that it is "unlawful to discriminate against or harass a person on the grounds of race, sex, marital status, disability, homosexuality or age".

A NSW Education Department spokesman said same-sex couples would be allowed at school balls or formals in the state system.
"Discrimination is not tolerated in public schools. The Department's policies require principals to act against such behaviour, including homophobia," he said.

"Further, depending on the circumstances, it is likely that to refuse entry to same-sex partners at a school-organised formal would breach anti-discrimination legislation."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/school-bars-samesex-partners-at-formals/2008/04/15/1208025146660.html

Gay people are a hassel.

Gay Captain

HSC
I find it difficult to understand why people still have any problems with homosexuality

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Um, AFAIK, the AIDS virus can be transmitted from just seeing a gay person who's had anal sex with another man, so I understand why the school would not want to take this risk of mass-HIV/AIDS transmission (if HIV does 'actually' cause AIDS -- not scientifically proven, more likely the US government created AIDS to kill of the nergro and negress population).

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
jb_nc said:
Um, AFAIK, the AIDS virus can be transmitted from just seeing a gay person who's had anal sex with another man.
Can confirm.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Late question with dieburndie:
Are Zrap and chicky pie the same person?

If your answer is "who cares, they're both retarded anyway", I see your point. Thanks for answering. It makes me feel loved.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
I do my own thang, plus i'm labor, she is liberal. :D

Gay Captain

HSC
I want to kiss guys in public in conservative/religious areas to piss off old people for lulz

any takers? (must be hot :eek:)

jimmayyy

HSC
while i think u should be able to root whichever sex you want, i think its a bit silly for students to be in such an uproar about it their school not digging same sex partners. i mean, it is a religious school? wasnt this sort of, foreseeable?

ps im mad whacked sorry if that doesnt make sense

jimmayyy

HSC
damnit, the ^response really loses some of its impmact when u see it at the top of the next page

HSC
N/A
jimmayyy said:
while i think u should be able to root whichever sex you want, i think its a bit silly for students to be in such an uproar about it their school not digging same sex partners. i mean, it is a religious school? wasnt this sort of, foreseeable?

ps im mad whacked sorry if that doesnt make sense
Lol still makes sense. People probably aren't in 'uproar', it's just media sensationalism in a time where front page news amounts to stupid things like 'white flight', '100 most violent? pubs and clubs', and 'paris hilton falls over'

michael1990

HSC
Its wrong, yes they are immune to the Anti Discrimination law. But if they get 80% of funding from our pockets why should they ban gay couples?

This is how homophobic is brought about. Not to mention the fact when they leave school they are oblivious to gay couples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)