School 'failed to get me into law' (1 Viewer)

qwerty44

HSC
Lol, tell that to all those Asian parents who move suburbs so they can be eligible to send their kid to James Ruse, and then from there into Law/Medical school!

Parents of top private school kids = pay lotsa money = expect kid to get 99 ATAR.

But yeah, you can't really relate your school to that of the private schools in the top 500 + if yours doesn't even get a rank below 600. YOUR school might not be academically focused (in fact it sounds more religious than your typical private school), but most of them tend to be.
I wasn't talking about selective schools.

And yes I suppose being a Catholic School is a bit different.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I wasn't talking about selective schools.

And yes I suppose being a Catholic School is a bit different.
Well this school is a private school and (obviously) the parent thought it was supposed to be academically focused.

And yeah, catholic schools are quite different.

qwerty44

HSC
Well this school is a private school and (obviously) the parent thought it was supposed to be academically focused.

And yeah, catholic schools are quite different.
The parent is an idiot. So is the student.

Catholic schools also have their own system I'm pretty sure (CEO).

qwerty44

HSC
"He said Ms Ashton-Weir had been placed on ''internal suspension'' a number of times while at the school. She was also poorly organised and had been absent from class many times.
Ms Ashton-Weir fell ill with glandular fever in early 2009 and went to stay with her mother at the end of term two. She did not return to Geelong Grammar.
Mr Ferrari said the school had tried to support Ms Ashton-Weir. ''The school wanted her to get through the year.''
He said Ms Ashton-Weir's school reports noted she was intelligent but failed to complete school work."

^No wonder she 'failed'.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
of course there is an agreement between the contracting parties lentern, its a fucking business. and like many private businesses dealing with intangibles and indirect outcomes, the terms of the contract obligate the delivery of a product/program (i.e. both education and extracurricular), not the delivery of a certain outcome (i.e. HSC results). the contracting parties agree to deliver a quality of education (perhaps higher) that increases the likelihood of better outcomes, but do not agree on the outcome

Last edited:

mirakon

nigga
HSC
i think an equivalent analogy is going to a designer clothing shop, and buying a nice outfit that you heard is in fashion. However, when you buy it, get home and wear it, you still look bad. You therefore proceed to sue the store. In other words, its blatantly ridiculous

The girl in question is essentially blaming the school for the fact that she did not do well. Its her fault and she just can't take responsibility for it.

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
if you read the magazine it is quite clear that she is a fuck up and has been unfortunate as well. she's obviously just being taken for a ride by her legal counsel

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, tell that to all those Asian parents who move suburbs so they can be eligible to send their kid to James Ruse, and then from there into Law/Medical school!

Parents of top private school kids = pay lotsa money = expect kid to get 99 ATAR.

But yeah, you can't really relate your school to that of the private schools in the top 500 + if yours doesn't even get a rank below 600. YOUR school might not be academically focused (in fact it sounds more religious than your typical private school), but most of them tend to be.
1. Location has no relevance on acceptance.
2. Doesn't ensure Law/Medical school.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
This is so stupid. I just can't even.

But heh, wannabe lawyer tries to sue world for problems. At least she'll get the thrill of a court case.

Lentern

HSC
of course there is an agreement between the contracting parties lentern, its a fucking business. and like many private businesses dealing with intangibles and indirect outcomes, the terms of the contract obligate the delivery of a product/program (i.e. both education and extracurricular), not the delivery of a certain outcome (i.e. HSC results). the contracting parties agree to deliver a quality of education (perhaps higher) that increases the likelihood of better outcomes, but do not agree on the outcome
I have not once suggested the school should be liable for a breach of contract based upon HSC results.

Lentern

HSC
No im not suggesting that. I'm suggesting that the education can almost be considered equal at both (not about talking selective) and the 'day care' is just an extra at private (usually). The reason i say the education is almost the same because teachers at private schools aren't necessarily better its just that at orivate schools the stricter rules allow for a better learning environment.
That is one of the most crass oversimplifications of the school system I have ever heard.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
1. Location has no relevance on acceptance.
2. Doesn't ensure Law/Medical school.
1. I thought you had to be within a certain proximity for most of them? Or is that a public selective school thing?
2. I am aware, was just pointing out the mentality of some parents.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Hahaahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahshsjjdkkdkdkkfjfhhfgetstrarafaggaga

$450,000 chocolate fortune cookie business

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Hahaahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahshsjjdkkdkdkkfjfhhfgetstrarafaggaga

$450,000 chocolate fortune cookie business
Must have been some really fucking good chocolate fortune cookies. -_-

(Omg we should sue the school too because they directly stopped this totally feasible business from running and therefore we missed out on fucking good chocolate fortune cookies!)

Last edited:
HSC
1. I thought you had to be within a certain proximity for most of them? Or is that a public selective school thing?
2. I am aware, was just pointing out the mentality of some parents.
Your location doesn't matter in selective schools admission. Even if you live right across the road from the school but get mark lower than the cut off, you still won't be accepted (for that year).

Last edited:

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Your location doesn't matter in selective schools admission. Even if you live right across the road from the school but get mark lower than the cut off, you still won't be accepted (for that year).
Oh yeah, I get that much. But I once read an article about house prices increasing in a particular area because all the families wanted to move in so they could send their kids to a certain school?

Annihilist

HSC
The individual suing might have little cause to do so but it does raise the bigger question about the extent to which a school is accountable for the quality of education it provides. Particularly at a private school you essential are entering into an agreement to pay more money and in exchange the kid will get an education of a higher quality than that available within the public school system. Would a private school student(or their family) for example have grounds to sue if the school was teaching from outdated materials, say an English class that taught traditional grammar instead of functional grammar?
It was a Grammar school. She was provided the facilities, resources, and opportunities I'm sure (as an ex-student at a Grammar school I feel qualified to say that). She obviously squandered these opportunities. She doesn't deserve compensation.

Lawsuits are ridiculous. It gives individuals permission to throw the blame to someone who is not accountable.

Lentern

HSC
It was a Grammar school. She was provided the facilities, resources, and opportunities I'm sure (as an ex-student at a Grammar school I feel qualified to say that). She obviously squandered these opportunities. She doesn't deserve compensation.

Lawsuits are ridiculous. It gives individuals permission to throw the blame to someone who is not accountable.
Don't quote me if you're going to completely disregard what I wrote.

HSC
Oh yeah, I get that much. But I once read an article about house prices increasing in a particular area because all the families wanted to move in so they could send their kids to a certain school?
Oh, well it's unlikely they were talking about NSW selective schools. If my memory serves me correctly, perhaps VIC has a different system I *think*.

secretcountry

HSC
It pretty much is, but please enlighten me, I make no secret of the fact I did fuck all work in contract law.
I take your point, if there was a cause of action in contract then she would have to be arguing that there is some sort of implied term to the effect of a good score, though of course schools make no explicit guarantees on this point. However I got the impression that she is alleging that Geelong Grammar detrimentally effected her education and thus she is perhaps claiming that she they were contractually obligated not to cause harm to her intellectual prospects, this type of promise is more realistic. Either way I think it raises the issue of the commodification of education. Paying fee's plus boarding is pretty substantial consideration for a promise to help your kid get a good mark, I would want returns.

I think it is really sad if this is what the Australian education system is coming to. Maybe if an education is becoming a contract whereby you can pay for the success of your child, our society will finally begin to understand the value of an egalitarian education system in which government schools have primacy and are not critically underfunded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)