School funding (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Fair and equitable my arse. The only reason so much focus is on private schools is because the kids of government officials and rich, influential people go there. Thus those schools are given greater priority.
If it was all fair and equitable everyone would attend a public school and stand the same oppurtunies. Private schools only exist for the wealthy who think themselves above the rest of us and they should therefore pay all costs entirely.
If focus was taking off those schools with manicured lawns where one classroom is worth more than an entire public school and back onto the government's actual responsibility, which is a free and fair education system then the public system who end up at the level it should be and so many people wouldn't want to send their kds to private schools.
I almost have the feeling Howard and Nelson are trying to turn Australia into a classed society. The rich and everybody else. The rich kids afford the best schools and subsequently are the only ones who can get into or afford uni. The others attend dismal, underfunded public schools and watch as a university education soars out of their reach.

By the way, you know something I heard. Demountables were only a temporary fix. All demountables were supposed to be replaced by real classrooms years ago.

And I don't mean demountables like at Knox (that things like a holiday cabin), I mean the ugly, stuffed demountables at public schools where on a hot day you may have the misfortune of seeing that sticky substance that holds them together dripping onto the table.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Fair and equitable my arse. The only reason so much focus is on private schools is because the kids of government officials and rich, influential people go there. Thus those schools are given greater priority.
If it was all fair and equitable everyone would attend a public school and stand the same oppurtunies. Private schools only exist for the wealthy who think themselves above the rest of us and they should therefore pay all costs entirely.
If focus was taking off those schools with manicured lawns where one classroom is worth more than an entire public school and back onto the government's actual responsibility, which is a free and fair education system then the public system who end up at the level it should be and so many people wouldn't want to send their kds to private schools.
I almost have the feeling Howard and Nelson are trying to turn Australia into a classed society. The rich and everybody else. The rich kids afford the best schools and subsequently are the only ones who can get into or afford uni. The others attend dismal, underfunded public schools and watch as a university education soars out of their reach.

By the way, you know something I heard. Demountables were only a temporary fix. All demountables were supposed to be replaced by real classrooms years ago.

And I don't mean demountables like at Knox (that things like a holiday cabin), I mean the ugly, stuffed demountables at public schools where on a hot day you may have the misfortune of seeing that sticky substance that holds them together dripping onto the table.
They have demantables at Catholics schools too, so its not like its a public school thing.

PoeticDuck

HSC
Personally..after getting most of my education in the public schooling system....my opinion probably is largely biased. But i simply believe that the funding needs to be spread more fairly and equally. Now in this country, under this leader..higly unlikely to happen i know. I'm a yr 12 student in Melbourne and go to a fairly well off public school. It's not disadvantaged by any sense of the word. But in my area..if you go south a few kilometres...there's about 3 private schools. Extremely well off these schools are. In comparison...go north a few kilometres and you will find some of the most disadvantages schools in the state. The differences are remarkable..even the students at these schools acknowledge it. At a certain private school they are recieving funding to fix up the garden and to have a pretty mural painted on a wall...at a particular public school the principal is seeking extra funding for new textbooks and better resource facilities for it's students...and is constantly denied. Now tell me...is this fair?

I guess some parents do work hard to get their children into a better school..saving up all their money to get their kids into some fancy private school with a nice uniform. But really should there have to be a difference in the education standards that our future leaders of this country recieve? How is it fair to give a bunch of kids a better and broader education in a private school...simply cos they payed a few extra bucks...then give some kid in a public school the bare basics to pass because they just so happen to have a father who works as a factory hand rather then a high ranked government official? Ok....so it's becoming obvious that i'm bitter at the system. I may be wrong...point me out if i am cos i'd like to think of this from another perspective. I just find it hard to cos of my pathetic public schooling..

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
It's probably another Nelson brainstorm to deny public school funding. Most "worker's" children attend public schools so his idea is to make it harder for them to access higher education through inadequate school facilties so they become labourers. ;) (Not an entirely serious statement).

Anyway, if the government funded government schools only then they would be much better off and there would be less of a need for parents to send their kids to private schools.

And by the way Korn I never said Catholic schools didn't have demountables. I was going on about how Knox in Sydney has one demountable and it looks like a holiday cabin and there are other schools made up entirely of demountables, none of them near as nice.

One quote always gets me. At the extension 2 day in Sydney in 2003 or was it 2004, no matter, we're given a timetable for the lectures and the girl in front of me says "What's a demountable?"

I couldn't believe someone could through the entire education system up to year eleven or twelve and not know what a demountable was. And when I seen the demountable I didn't realise it was a demountable because it looked that good.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
PoeticDuck said:
Personally..after getting most of my education in the public schooling system....my opinion probably is largely biased. But i simply believe that the funding needs to be spread more fairly and equally. Now in this country, under this leader..higly unlikely to happen i know. I'm a yr 12 student in Melbourne and go to a fairly well off public school. It's not disadvantaged by any sense of the word. But in my area..if you go south a few kilometres...there's about 3 private schools. Extremely well off these schools are. In comparison...go north a few kilometres and you will find some of the most disadvantages schools in the state. The differences are remarkable..even the students at these schools acknowledge it. At a certain private school they are recieving funding to fix up the garden and to have a pretty mural painted on a wall...at a particular public school the principal is seeking extra funding for new textbooks and better resource facilities for it's students...and is constantly denied. Now tell me...is this fair?

I guess some parents do work hard to get their children into a better school..saving up all their money to get their kids into some fancy private school with a nice uniform. But really should there have to be a difference in the education standards that our future leaders of this country recieve? How is it fair to give a bunch of kids a better and broader education in a private school...simply cos they payed a few extra bucks...then give some kid in a public school the bare basics to pass because they just so happen to have a father who works as a factory hand rather then a high ranked government official? Ok....so it's becoming obvious that i'm bitter at the system. I may be wrong...point me out if i am cos i'd like to think of this from another perspective. I just find it hard to cos of my pathetic public schooling..
Its called Capitalism, like it or not, its the way the world works, its better to wake up to that fact now, then live in a make believe world for the rest of your life, those that have money and are willing to pay get the best, those that dont well they get whats left

Generator

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Its called Capitalism, like it or not, its the way the world works, its better to wake up to that fact now, then live in a make believe world for the rest of your life, those that have money and are willing to pay get the best, those that dont well they get whats left
Korn, our education system is not open to market in a capitalistic sense (yet), and why should it be? Besides, like it or not, capitalism isn't the way world works, it's merely a general system that is localised in many different ways around the world... No one conceptual system operates at a global scale, even though neo-liberalism appears to be dominant at the moment.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Generator said:
Korn, our education system is not open to market in a capitalistic sense (yet), and why should it be? Besides, like it or not, capitalism isn't the way world works, it's merely a general system that is localised in many different ways around the world... No one conceptual system operates at a global scale, even though neo-liberalism appears to be dominant at the moment.
Look at those in power, are they poor or rich?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Those in power are bright enough to know how to manipulate the relevant system/s to their own ends... Will you be addressing the point concerning the market and our education system?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Korn said:
Those in power are educated, as they ought to be. Education is obviously correlated to wealth (depending on what you study, etc)

PoeticDuck

HSC
Korn said:
Running by your theory.....your now saying that the future of the children of this country now comes down to the capitalistic market approach that we have seemingly inherited from America? Because we all know that America is the home of capitalism. Take at peek at the education systems over there. You have your elite...basically your rich kids born into money attending the best schools but really not taking advantage of that opportunity. Then you have your left over kids, born into average families...sent to average schools...but perhaps with the potential to do great things if only given the opportunity that should logically be given to all.

Capitalism should not come into education at all...your messing with the lives of the children of this country..for a few extra bucks.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
PoeticDuck said:
Running by your theory.....your now saying that the future of the children of this country now comes down to the capitalistic market approach that we have seemingly inherited from America? Because we all know that America is the home of capitalism. Take at peek at the education systems over there. You have your elite...basically your rich kids born into money attending the best schools but really not taking advantage of that opportunity. Then you have your left over kids, born into average families...sent to average schools...but perhaps with the potential to do great things if only given the opportunity that should logically be given to all.

Capitalism should not come into education at all...your messing with the lives of the children of this country..for a few extra bucks.
I dont exactly support the capitalist approach to education but thats the way it is, and is continueing to be so, dont try and pretend its not ppl

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Generator said:
Those in power are bright enough to know how to manipulate the relevant system/s to their own ends... Will you be addressing the point concerning the market and our education system?
I believe that Capitalism is still the way the world works, as you look at the most powerful countries in the world, what system do they follow, Capitalism?
Is this necessarily the right thing, im not saying either way, but it is how it is

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Just because it's the way the world works doesn't make it right. And if it's not right perhaps it's time for change. Just because something is the norm doesn't mean you have to accept it with a smile.

The government of this country is meant to provide basics for it's citizens. One of these is a basic, fair and equal education system. This is the public system. Since we are in a capitalist society and are run by wealth then if the rich want to send their kids to elitist schools they have the right to fund this. But there is no expectation, or need, or reason for the government to fund this since they have they public system which is there for those rich kids even if they choose, or rather their parents choose for them, not to go there.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
Just because it's the way the world works doesn't make it right. And if it's not right perhaps it's time for change. Just because something is the norm doesn't mean you have to accept it with a smile.

The government of this country is meant to provide basics for it's citizens. One of these is a basic, fair and equal education system. This is the public system. Since we are in a capitalist society and are run by wealth then if the rich want to send their kids to elitist schools they have the right to fund this. But there is no expectation, or need, or reason for the government to fund this since they have they public system which is there for those rich kids even if they choose, or rather their parents choose for them, not to go there.
Well its never going to change, noone in their right mind in parliment would change it as the rich wouldnt vote for a change, as the rich pay taxes too, if not more taxes then the working class, its the govts job to provide funding to all schools including, public, religious, and private schools

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Korn said:
Well its never going to change, noone in their right mind in parliment would change it as the rich wouldnt vote for a change, as the rich pay taxes too, if not more taxes then the working class, its the govts job to provide funding to all schools including, public, religious, and private schools

It is not the government's job to provide funding to all schools. It is the governments job to have a free and fair education system for all. This is the public education system.

The private system is not provided by the government so they shouldn't get government funding.

The majority of people in this country aren't rich though. The problem is that all the top politicians send their kids to private schools or they want the favour of the rich class who send their kids to private schools.

And who's to say it'll never change.

roadcone

HSC
maybe instead of arguing over whether it is right that private schools receive govt funding, you should look at the reasons why people are choosing to send their children to these schools --> i.e many public schools being appropriate choices in the eyes of parents for their children

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i have a simple system.

Every student should recieve funding, by this i mean, for example, a year 1 student, might attract a rate of $1000, if a school has 50 year 1 students, they get $50000. Also the governent should pay for all schools utilities costs and insurance. each school should also get a library grant, and a computer grant. then, the rest of the money should be divided up between government schools based on size, need, etc.

pig_93

HSC
private v public schools

im sorry i dont know if theres a thead about this.
just wondering what is everyones stance on payment to private schools in govt funding.
i do come from a public school, but i think even if i did i would advise so strongly about not giving govt money to these schools

yes ppl have a choice but the choice should not be supplemented by govt $$ if u get my drift.

when u give comment, just for curiousity, what school are u from ie private or public (u can give ur school name too if u like :))

Generator

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)