School Magazine/Yearbook (1 Viewer)

nick86

heya, are any of you guys on this commitee or similar at your school? If so, what have you done on it so far? Im co-editor and photographer for my school magazine with a bit of graphic design thrown in for good measure. At the moment, we have a couple of student articles being written and collected for various events and organising the layout (our mag is written in html and distributed on cd-rom). So what do you guys do and what are you up to?

m1nx

HSC
i was pretty much the editor/coordinator for our school yearbook for the past two years~ writing, editing, layout design, graphics, photography, interviews, basically the lot! and all i can is it was v. v. v. stressful :p considering that we almost always just start and finish it about a month before it goes to print (we work best under pressure :D) i won't be as involved with the school yearbook this year [a BIG relief, though i think i'm being dragged in to help w/ the year 12 yearbook], although i'll probably be doing some design and photography.

i really like the sounds of this cd-rom yearbook, how do you guys structure it? is it like a website format?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
what does your yearbook look like?
we are planning to have a hardcover with gold writing or somesort

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
We, that is I am planning to organise the yearbook outside of school, we tried to organise a year 10 yearbook but the teachers wouldnt pass it. They said we couldnt mention any teachers or any students even if it was compliments, so it was just too frustrating so it didnt go ahead! i think the yearbook should be wat the students want it to be. so I am going to try and plan all the printing etc without the schools help, we have a friend that works in the printing business so thats sweet hopefully we can get it cheaper but i want it to be presentable, like in a proper hardcover book.. does anyone know how much these cost and where i can enquire at?? all the fotos are taken on my fone so i can send them to my email which is pretty sweet and then we'll just scan individual school fotos on to the comp get people to write a few things but mainly i want heaps of fotos! what are u asking students as in wat are ur questions... "Name, Nickname, Where do u see yourself in ten years, whats your best memory of highschool" ....? what else u putting in ur yearbook?

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
we r having a year 10 year book ( im in yr 11 this year) but we havent actually got it yet and yeah everyone is getting cut about having stuff about them in it

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
for the questions we r haveing all da normal stuff plus really stupid questions like if you could be any food what food would u be and why>:?

santaslayer

HSC
LoLz.....we had a section where the skool counseller talked to himself...went for 3 pages long

nick86

The format of our yearbook is like a website on cd-rom. Last years yearbook was crap because all the students bailed on the teacher and left them to do the whole thing. I wanted to make it better and contribute to the school and have something cool to put on my resume :p

m1nx

HSC
i know what you mean about it resume-wise~ i was dragged into doing the yearbook in year 9 by my art teacher (which she wasn't supposed to do, cause then the yearbook was strictly done by year 10's), but it was only afterwards when i realised that i wanted to do something in media/communications that it would actually help with what i eventually wanted to do [in terms of applications, resumes, interviews etc].

the yearbook last last year was pretty crap cause the supervising teacher wouldn't let us mess with the layout, etc etc. but i'm glad to say that last year's was DEFINITELY something to be proud of :) (that teacher left the school and our HT of art let us do whatever we wanted!) so i guess it wasn't too bad that i ended up doing the cover- it was kind of overwhelming to see 1000+ copies of it floating around the school :eek:

ahh, how much does it cost to get those cd's done? hope you don't mind but it's a pretty novel concept, and i like it a lot. :D

KarmaKitten

HSC
I'm part of the yearbook (year 12 yearbook) as a prefect and so far im enjoying it, have been playing around with layouts and stuff. but at the moment we still have to get people to write articles, submit photos and so far
its good i have experience in websites and photoshop, it makes this SO much easier

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I took photos for my school yearbook for about 4 years. I may go to a public school, but my head is utterly retarded and he passed down all kinds of regulations for the yearbook and now basicly it isnt worth my time..

ive been doing the yr 12 one for a while, we have our own website heh and the actual book will be published at the end of the year.

Im a friend of the guy who did last years year 12 book, and its a shitload of effort. Printing is a fortune, and he had to fix up all manner of errors the guys who actually did the typing made to even make it printable.

juggernaut

HSC
we dont have anything to do with our yearbook
its all professionally done n shit
its like 300 pages

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by juggernaut
we dont have anything to do with our yearbook
its all professionally done n shit
its like 300 pages
that will cost heaps for printing

nick86

We have an external burner which holds a stack of 10 CD-R's, burns them and puts a label on the top. It costs alot less than having a book published, I'm not sure of the exact cost though. The teacher who does the magazine is a champ, he lets us do whatever we want in regards to design, using the schools gear, any ideas we have etc. complete control. It can be overwhelming due to the fact nothing is really happening at school at the moment and we need to keep our ears open constantly.

Danio

Home, although i would like to be somewhere elsez.
Yo pplz, can you guyz/girlz tell give me some advices on our yr12 year book? We got all the usual stuffz like Name. Nicks, where do you see yourself in 10 years time...Of course therez lots of pics, and its all done by our entire yr12...tahts why im proud, because its done by our friends and for us, so its akewlz. :D I just need some more stuuffz in our yr book, so plz help~! Thankz yo~! :cool: ;)

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
our yearbook was absolute crap, typos everywhere, they didn't use the portrait photo i'd submitted for my profile (they cut out my face from our yr10 school pic instead @____@), complete waste of $10. though i appreciate their efforts. but still!!!! dammit i wish i'd been on the yrbook committee :(

alby

cool duckie
HSC
i was on the yrbk committee last yr....fun, lotsa time outta class, but still lotsa work (i was doing the 6 hsie pages by myself)
i wanna work on the yr 12 yrbk this yr (hopefully we have 1, they had 1 last yr)
that reminds me....gotta ask the teacher about our yrbk lunch (as a kinda thanx for all of your work from the teacher, principal n prolly some other teachers) lol

frazzle

HSC
school mag

i was the technical editor of the school magazine last year. i just had the usual... well, what we always put in there anyway. collages of carnivals and musicals etc. and yr 12 body of works, year photos, principal and faculty reports, year reports, literature, funny quotes...

and now i'm in year 12, and we're making a year book, everyone makes their own page with their photos, contact details etc. and we compile them. we're putting in a few other pages of quites etc. too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)