School Newspapers (1 Viewer)

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Did/does anyone's school have one? We've just started to get it going at my school, but we're looking for suggestions and examples so we can make some improvements.
They did have a magazine in the past but it just didn't work. We're hoping that the newspaper goes better, but there aren't enough ideas coming in from the juniors that are practical. A lot of things already get covered in the yearbooks or newsletters too.
I haven't had the chance to speak to many people from my school about suggestions, but a lot of them were pretty indifferent to the first issue [that I wasn't involved in].
So if anyone was on a newspaper committee or just has ideas I'd appreciate it if you could post them. :)

If anyone has any other advice that would be great as well.
Thanks. :cool:

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
a place for students to ask questions?
we have this girl newsletter

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
We had one that was published each week and distributed at Friday morning roll call. When I got the job of Welfare Captain supervising the student newsletter was something that came along with it. Generally your younger ones are the most enthusiastic and really enjoy helping to make it happen each week, so I had bout 8 regulars from years 7/8.

Just keep it brief and include some stuff on whats happening around the campus as well as like sporting results and stuff. We also had a report from each grade each week (or however frequently you plan on publishing it).

Maybe have a chocolate bar comp each week too, have a little quiz question and get people to submit their answer into a box and the randomly drawn winner gets a chocolate bar. It was something cute and fun that everyone seemed to enjoy.

Last edited:

varus

Hey! we got elected as captains this year and decided to take the intiative and start a student paper. we're releasing it twice a term and we just wanted to make things fun so we've included things like:
HORRORscopes (just some satirical stuff like-today the phone will ring and you will answer!)
Hill's Happenings-exaggerated gossip about nameless people in the school
Funny Photos-we took stupid pics of everyone and included funny captions
Student Polls- a stupid one and a serious one
Book, Movie and Song reviews
Stuff about sport happening in and out of school
and a student profile and teacher feature where we grilled a student and teacher about their likes and dislikes
its basically stuffed with heaps of fun things...we just wanted to give something back to the students

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You should take a photo of one of your teachers, or admin/libary staff and make it a centre-fold, all the kids can hang their favourite teachers up on their wall. Super cool!

santaslayer

HSC
we had a coloured newspaper distributed each fortnight during roll call...had stuff like sport, community/skool news, social justice news, awards, and a section for all those english phreakz

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Thanks for all the suggestions! :D

I like the quiz question idea Ms 12, but the prefects already do something like that with trivia and so we aren't allowed to. I'm trying to think of a way to adapt it though, maybe we could hide a random item in a classroom and the person who finds it gets a prize. I'll have to see.
HORRORscopes sound hilarious. As do the funny photos and the gossip.

I appreciate all the other ideas too. ;)

aud

HSC
I'm editor of my school newspaper... but it's only been running for 6 months, so it's not that great or spesh...

We have a small committee of people that just write articles and reviews and all that, photographers, interviewers...

We get a lot of ads from the shopping village for the last page to cover our production costs - they pay $50 an ad...

It only comes out maybe once a term because of our lack of writers and content, and not many people buy it because our school has little spirit

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
We have 4 newsletters a year - our school doesn't do much.

We have "dates for your diary" which is the dates for the upcoming events (within the next term) Also there are advertisements (paid ones l think), sports message, message from the librarian, etc.

aud

HSC
I forgot to say, we have like a newssheet that we get every Friday with the messages from Principal/Deputy and things that are happening in the school, what's happening in the next week... we try to avoid sounding like them at all costs...

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Yeah, one of the things I am finding difficult is to stay away from the things they write about in the newsletter, especially since half of the students don't want to read it anyway.

I never thought of ads. We're a private school, so the teachers are quite happy for us to use whatever resources we want, and we don't have to charge for the newspaper, but that could be something we can look into if we need to. :cool:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
we have a school newspaper- basically it just contains a run through of the whole year, highlighting the events that happened and stuff (with a lot of foto's of course), also we had other things such as interview with teachers and stuff.

if u want ideas, i really think that u should get a copy of other schools newspapers and take a look at it. :)

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
I've been asking around for copies of ones from other schools, but I haven't had any luck yet. Of course that has been my main plan for a while. :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by midnight
I've been asking around for copies of ones from other schools, but I haven't had any luck yet. Of course that has been my main plan for a while. :)
well go to your local library- out school leaves copies of our newspaper there (and i think many others do the same). :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)