School Rank (1 Viewer)

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
your external mark will still be whatever you get in the HSC, your internal mark, say you're 10th, would be whatever the 10th highest mark someone in your cohort gets. This is a simplification of what they actually do (Cause they look at how your internal marks were distributed, etc) but it shows basically how the system works, so you 100% should work hard for externals but also pray your cohort does well so your internal mark is good as well.
have you been doxed yet, cause i found out your name (not in a creepy way :))

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
your external mark will still be whatever you get in the HSC, your internal mark, say you're 10th, would be whatever the 10th highest mark someone in your cohort gets. This is a simplification of what they actually do (Cause they look at how your internal marks were distributed, etc) but it shows basically how the system works, so you 100% should work hard for externals but also pray your cohort does well so your internal mark is good as well.
random q but what was ur ucat score

carrotsss

HSC
they use scaling stats from past 5 years and usually its really accurate.
were those your overall marks or like just external marks?
new syllabus sciences scale worse than they used to so atar compass gives higher atar predictions than actual atars

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Basically the only issue is that if you go to a bad school, and you are currently ranked 1st internally by a lot, then you managed to screw up ur hsc test. In this case you are essentially getting purely your marks. I.e. 2nd ranked gets a similar mark to what you got, so you can only get that for your hsc mark, which means your atar will be affected greatly.

While it depends on how everyone else goes in the test, in a high ranked school you can safely assume that you will get a decent mark regardless of how badly you do. i.e. ranked 1st internally, maybe you dropped to a mark of rank 30 externally, then you can assume that rank 2,3... can carry your mark up. You might be able to get a better mark due to you messing up in the hsc than compared to if you were in a lower ranked school.

carrotsss

HSC
Basically the only issue is that if you go to a bad school, and you are currently ranked 1st internally by a lot, then you managed to screw up ur hsc test. I.e. 2nd ranked gets a similar mark to what you got, so you can only get that for your hsc mark, which means your atar will be affected greatly. While it depends on how everyone else goes in the test, in a high ranked school you can safely assume that you will get a decent mark regardless of how badly you do. i.e. ranked 1st internally, maybe you dropped to a mark of rank 30 externally, then you can assume that rank 2,3... can carry your mark up.
yeah going to a high ranking school offers a lot more of a safety net, but in the same vein it also stops you from being first and then having an insane exam performance being you up even more

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)