• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Ranking/Class Ranking (1 Viewer)

roborob

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering which is more important, your school's rank or your rank. My school is ranked 20th, but i'm not achieving very good ranks...what does this mean for my HSC marks and which will affect me more?

Our school isn't very good at giving UAI estimates, nor do I have any idea how well I'll actually do (I'm assuming not great if I'm getting middle of the line for all my rankings) but does the school rank (being a selective school) mean the rank isn't as important?

michael1990

HSC
Ranks are always important.

The school rank does not matter in the HSC.
It only matters when giving a UAI estimate.

But, if you get good marks and your ranks are say above the average you should do fine. Just remember do the best you can.

runnable

HSC
It shouldnt matter what rank you are in your well-ranked school or being top of a poorly-ranked school. Your UAI will be the same. Despite that, you have a better chance of a higher uAI in a higher ranked sch due to the study atmosphere.

michael1990

HSC
runnable said:
It shouldnt matter what rank you are in your well-ranked school or being top of a poorly-ranked school. Your UAI will be the same. Despite that, you have a better chance of a higher uAI in a higher ranked sch due to the study atmosphere.
Proof?

It comes down to how someone takes the approach to the HSC.
If you're at a highly ranked school and don't do work, are you still going to get >95 UAI?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
roborob said:
Hey guys,

Just wondering which is more important, your school's rank or your rank. My school is ranked 20th, but i'm not achieving very good ranks...what does this mean for my HSC marks and which will affect me more?

Our school isn't very good at giving UAI estimates, nor do I have any idea how well I'll actually do (I'm assuming not great if I'm getting middle of the line for all my rankings) but does the school rank (being a selective school) mean the rank isn't as important?

The rank of your school is IRRELEVANT in calculating your hsc marks or uai. becides its it impossible to as these so called ranks are calculated by the media after the official people decide your hsc marks and uai.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Your internal rank is important.

Your school rank isn't for the simple reason that your school rank is last year's rank earned by last year's class. The rank for this year will be calculated AFTER you and your classmates have done the HSC and the results are in. On the basis of this year's results earned by you and your classmates your school will be re-ranked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)