• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

School Ranking??? (1 Viewer)

andrew29

HSC
Hi all,

ive been freaking out lately over the concept of school assessment rankings.
Ive heard that if you are ranked 50/55 in a course, and say when u sit the HSC exam u do very well and say get a mark of 90, and end up being ranked 5/55 in your cohort...ive heard that you dont get that mark of 90, u get the mark which rank 50 got??

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME :):)
its greatly worrying me...

Thankyou

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
andrew29 said:
Hi all,

Ive heard that if you are ranked 50/55 in a course, and say when u sit the HSC exam u do very well and say get a mark of 90, and end up being ranked 5/55 in your cohort...ive heard that you dont get that mark of 90, u get the mark which rank 50 got??

Thankyou
i heard something similar, but i doubt that is true.

your school mark will be that 50/55, and your external mark will be that 5/55. each make up 50% of your total mark.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
andrew29 said:
Hi all,

Thankyou
why does it matter if you already have sat the HSC? its 50% HSC marks + 50% aligned assessment marks. so basically it isn't true. each situation is going to be different.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
andrew29 said:
Hi all,

Thankyou
You still get your mark of 90% for your HSC mark, but your assesment mark will be whatever the mark that is 50/55 of all the people in your school who took that course. Your overall mark is an average of the two
melanieeeee. said:
why does it matter if you already have sat the HSC?
Yea.. why do you care

munchiecrunchie

HSC
it also should be realised that there is no pre - determined rank for each school.

it all depends on how each school performs in that particular year.

so if you've got a really smart grade . . . you've got a head start there.

andrew29

HSC
ohhh ok thanks i understand now.

sorry im actually HSC 2008, better change that...didnt realise it said 2007 :S

but thanks for the help...so BOS combines those two marks and averages them?
what mark does that give you? aligned hsc mark?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
andrew29 said:
ohhh ok thanks i understand now.

sorry im actually HSC 2008, better change that...didnt realise it said 2007 :S
no i meant hypothetically. if you had already finished youre exam why would you care. there is no use in getting worked up over something you can't change

but thanks for the help...so BOS combines those two marks and averages them?
what mark does that give you? aligned hsc mark?
i think it is:

average of aligned assessment mark and exam mark = final HSC mark

andrew29

HSC
Without Wings said:
Andrew, have a read of this thread which explains how it all works using examples :)
Yes i have looked at that, but in the examples used, the school assessment ranks
are the same as the ranks in the HSC exam. Im talking about when the ranks are different, what happens then?

andrew29

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
no i meant hypothetically. if you had already finished youre exam why would you care. there is no use in getting worked up over something you can't change
well we still have this term's assessments and trials to go, so i just wanted to understand the effect of the school's ranking's.

At my school for most of my subjects i have only done 40% worth of assessments, so i still have 60% to go, so it is definitely changeable!

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
andrew29 said:
well we still have this term's assessments and trials to go, so i just wanted to understand the effect of the school's ranking's.

At my school for most of my subjects i have only done 40% worth of assessments, so i still have 60% to go, so it is definitely changeable!
andrew29 said:
Hi all,

Thankyou
i thought we where talking about a hypothetical situations :confused:

andrew29

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
i thought we where talking about a hypothetical situations :confused:
huh? well seeing as im talking about the HSC exam which i am yet to sit, i have no idea of what mark i will be getting.
This is hypothetical seeing as im yet to do the HSC, but it relates to me in that i was worried that my half yearly assessment marks would ruin my HSC, as i did poorly in them, but i usually do well and rank in top 10 for most of my subjects and so i know i can do better in HSC exam, but wanted to clear up the ranking situation as to whether u are given the mark in the HSC exam which corresponds to ur assessment ranking at school.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
andrew29 said:
Yes i have looked at that, but in the examples used, the school assessment ranks
are the same as the ranks in the HSC exam. Im talking about when the ranks are different, what happens then?

Okay here is an example:

Internal assesment:
Student Mark Rank
Bob: 95 1
Jane: 90 2
Tom: 80 3
Susan: 75 4

External assesment:
Student Mark Rank
Jane: 98 1
Susan: 92 2
Bob: 75 3
Tom: 65 4

So here are the marks:
Student: Assesment: HSC: Average:
Bob 98 75 87
Jane 92 98 95
Tom: 75 65 70
Susan 65 92 79

So for example if you come 8th in a subject, you will get your aligned HSC mark for your HSC mark and you will get the mark of whoever came 8th for your assesment mark

I dont think that you should worry too much about doing poorly in your half yearlys. You said you have only done 40% of your assesments, so if you perform well in the other 60% you can bring up your rank. Just try your best and use this as motivation to try harder throughout the rest of the year. Also, even if your rank at the end of the year isnt as high as you wanted and you do well in the HSC external exam, it will also make up for having a poorer rank then you expected.

mcs-one

Grease Bucket
HSC
Does the HSC mark/results have any affect on your ranking for your subjects?

lionking1191

HSC
mcs-one said:
Does the HSC mark/results have any affect on your ranking for your subjects?
you got it the other way around. your ranking determines your assessment part of your hsc mark according to how your school performed in the hsc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)