School rankings (1 Viewer)

Sxmm

HSC
I've seen a lot of people mention their school rankings when they're asking about their ATAR estimates etc. I was wondering why school rankings matter? If you are dedicated and do well wouldn't you get the same as anyone else in a top 10 ranked school? If they do matter, should I reconsider moving to a 310 ranked school and rather move to a 132 ranked school?

dasfas

HSC
They only matter if you're not near the top of your cohort.

Basically, 5th at a top 10 school might get you a 97 in internals, whereas 5th in a top 300 school might get you something much lower. However, if you're ranked first in both, then the sky is the limit.

The main reason why people give their school rank when asking for atar estimates is because getting 95% in an exam that is easier is obviously not the same as getting 95% in a harder exam. I'm not saying that top schools have harder exams, but definitely a preconception that people have.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
School rankings are not used to calculate the ATAR itself.

The only reason people mention school rankings for ATAR estimates is so we have a rough idea of what calibre the student might be statistically compared to the rest of the state.

Sxmm

HSC
They only matter if you're not near the top of your cohort.

Basically, 5th at a top 10 school might get you a 97 in internals, whereas 5th in a top 300 school might get you something much lower. However, if you're ranked first in both, then the sky is the limit.

The main reason why people give their school rank when asking for atar estimates is because getting 95% in an exam that is easier is obviously not the same as getting 95% in a harder exam. I'm not saying that top schools have harder exams, but definitely a preconception that people have.
Thank you, personally, do you think I should make the move between schools though?

dasfas

HSC
Thank you, personally, do you think I should make the move between schools though?
If you're basing the move purely off of atar, don't make the move. You're leaving behind all your friends from school and risking it for another school that may or may not be a good fit for you. Do more research. What's the commute like, what are the people like, what subjects do they excel at etc. All in all, atar really isn't that important once you get into Uni. Grinding out that extra little .95 is only really useful for scholarships

JuliaRose

HSC
if you are thinking of transferring to another school because of Atar, it is better not to. I agree with dasfas. Moving to a new school can lead to many problems. It's not worth it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)