school rankings (1 Viewer)

aliasfan

HSC
hey so because our marks are scaled depending on our schools, does anyone have a list of all schools and their rankings from last year....

Libbster

HSC
whoever told u that is completely wrong. your marks are aligned to how well u do in the exam, and ur marks are also scaled to calculate ur uai. it has nothing to do with ur school's ranking.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The school's ranking is not taken into account.

The ranking of a school is just indicative of the likelihood of there being a large number of talented students at the school and hence your internal mark being dragged up by said elite students' extremely high external exam marks.

HSC
no if your from a "disadvantaged" school, you recieve a few more extra uai points because your classed as a rural school. at my school we get an extra 4 marks so if i get 75, my acual mark will be 79!

jynxe

HSC
lil lelu said:
no if your from a "disadvantaged" school, you recieve a few more extra uai points because your classed as a rural school. at my school we get an extra 4 marks so if i get 75, my acual mark will be 79!
Yeah, but that's AFTER the UAIs are calculated. It's not actually taken into account when the scaling for each individual subject occurs. They simply just tack 5 points on to whatever you got.

DarkPrince_87

HSC
_dhj_ said:
So if you get 96, would that prop you up to 100? :D
hey thats possible a girl from my school got a UAI of 96 last yr, she got an extra 5 marks for being from a rural school and another 5 marks added automatically because she was a rural school student going to a rural university (CSU Wagga) so in reality she got a UAI of well above 100

7th Sign

HSC
nah not true if u go to a shit school and every one does crap of course you will get scalled down...If you go to a selective school I am pretty sure u get like 3 uai points extra automatically!

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
mmm, not true. Used to be like that where JR got scaled heaps and heaps just for being JR. But they've changed it, so gives everyone a fair go (well, fairer than before).

d_a_n_z

HSC
the james ruse kids get scaled up cause they do well in the exam, so 75 is shown to be a higher mark than a 75 of a kis where the skool does not perform as well in the actual HSC.
I dont think it is depednant on previuso years, its all about how your skool cohort does (2 my understanding)

DarkPrince_87

HSC
Bo-batron said:
Who can explain to me about the extra UAI marks for rural students? How much? Does that even happen?
rural students can get more bnonus points around 5, because they dont have the same facilities as city kids, and the education is different, courses are limited.....i know this because i use to go to Robert Townson and i moved to Young and its totally different, the teachers are less strict which is kinda good, less teachers, they dont know much, alot of teachers teach several subjects because we dont have other teachers to teach those courses....a whole list of reasons.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Your "school ranking" - whether you go to a public or private school does not mean you get scaled up or down!

You get scaled according to how well your cohort does in relation to the rest of the state. Otherwise teachers could send in great assessment marks so their students had an advantage. From what I understand, your cohort's average assessment mark will be compared to the performance in the HSC exam. If they are discrepent, i.e. the assessment marks are lower/higher, they will be either scaled up or down to match the HSC exam mark.
This means that what is important is not the raw mark you receive, but your rank - as this will not change. If your assessment mark is 80, but you finished 1st in a school that does well this year (regardless of whether they are selective or have a good history), this mark will get scaled up to resemble the quality of the mark. If this student went to another school this effort which equaled 80 at this school, may have been a 95 in another school. So the system works by aligning marks so everyone is treated fairly.

People assume selective schools get automatically scaled up, because their cohorts do very well and it is very competitive. Thus, a person who finishes 25th in a course should not be disadvantaged because they went to a school which had many intelligent students, when, if they had attended a different school would have finished 1st.

I hope the way I think the system works is true.. :p

song

HSC
yep, i agree with hYperTrOphY......i graduated from j.ruse this yr and thats wat my maths teacher said...she said a student who comes 120th in our skool may come top 10 in another school....so to make it fair, they have to align the marks according to how well your group performs in the external compared to other groups from other schools....so naturally i guess going to a selective school may have its advantages cos the group tends to perform well, hence scaling kicks in =D

Kyroth***

HSC
Ok, heres how it works, both schools and extra points...

1. You do your assesments that the school sets.

2. You end up in a big list of students from YOUR school in YOUR course, based on how well you did (ie, your rank).

But, an assesment task at one school may have been more difficult than an assessment at another school. So...

3. You sit the HSC.

4. Your HSC is marked.

5. The internal MARKS are DISCARDED. (Your RANK is NOT.)

6. The top HSC mark (in that course) obtained by your school is determined.

7. The person with the top RANK for INTERNAL assessment recieves THIS MARK as their internal mark (ie, whoever gets the top rank gets the top mark, but this mark is determined by your groups performance in the HSC).

8. The same thing is done for the person with the bottom rank (ie, they get the bottom HSC mark).

9. The rest of the students and given marks that correspond to the positions between these two extreems. If they were very close to the top rank, they will recieve a mark that is such. If they are exactly inbetween, they will recieve a mark as such.

Note that while the actual mark you obtained is discarded, its relevence to other people's marks is not. So if the difference between 2nd and 3rd was very great, it will still be very great.

This means that no matter how easy or hard the assessment tasks your school sets are, the internal mark you recieve is a fair commparrison to the rest of the state. To use the example, this means that if James Ruse sets hard tasks and the students get low scores, but perform well in the HSC, they still get high marks. However, it is not just assumed that they deserve high marks because they go to James Ruse.

11. The internal mark is combined with your HSC mark (scaled and aligned) to produce your final result.

12. These results are ranked, top to bottom.

13. UAI's are given, acording to this rank (top person will get 100, middle with get 50, etc).

14. EAS (Educational Access Scheme) applications are considered.

These are a form filled out by students at the same time they submit their prefferences to UAC. The students state that they have been dissadvantaged during the HSC and give evidence. There are different types, eg Medical, Family, Location, etc.

15. Extra UAI points are awarded to the sucessful students.

This includes 5 extra points for people attending rural schools. This is based on not being able to go to zoos, museums, performances, etc because of distance, time missed from school when such trips are taken, distances traveling to and from school (ie lost study time), limited number of courses available due to numbers, limited competition for able students, limited number of extra ciricular things (eg multi-school study days etc), and a whole pile of other things. I was recently told that if your town doesn't have a public library, you get more points, but I'm not sure if its true.

15. The UAI's are given to students.

I'm unsure as to whether the students get pre- or post- additional point UAI's.

Some uni's (eg Wollongong) also give extra UAI points to their applicants if they meet certain criteria.

16. Schools are ranked based on an average of the UAI's their students recieved.

So yeah, a little long winded, but that's how it works (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Smartie87

HSC
Thats incorrect. My principal used to work at the BOS and she said that is so not right.

Say the marks obtained from a legal studies class at one skool amount to 700 from internal assessment. Say this same legal class obtains a total of 850 marks in the real HSC: therefore, the teachers at the school have undermarked the students, and the extra 150 marks are distributed to the students to push their internal assessments up- all school marks and ranks do is determine the spread of students and how far one is above another. So dont listen to all this stuff about 'you get that persons mark' and all that- she said its all BS

MarsBarz

HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
Does this mean i wasted my time working my butt off to come first in every assessment by like 10-30%.[kind of depressing but true... Very small year group] hmmm... what a waste of time
No, read his entire post again.

Although one mistake in that post: the median UAI is in the 60's, not the 50's (HSC cohort is less than SC cohort).

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
@Kyroth~

5. The internal MARKS are DISCARDED. (Your RANK is NOT.)

Not really discarded as the difference between 1st , 2nd, 3rd,......... comes into play (but u've made this clear later on anyways...hehe)

7. The person with the top RANK for INTERNAL assessment recieves THIS MARK as their internal mark (ie, whoever gets the top rank gets the top mark, but this mark is determined by your groups performance in the HSC).

The school's performance does not affect the student who comes 1st in any course. However, if the student who is 1st does not obtain the highest HSC exam mark, then their internal will be the highest HSC exam mark obtained by a student in their school (for that subject)... to put it in simple terms, the internal mark of the student who comes 1st in a subject will be the highest HSC exam mark obtained by anyone in their school for that particular subject.

8. The same thing is done for the person with the bottom rank (ie, they get the bottom HSC mark)...

Not 100% sure about this, but they will end up with the lowest internal mark

11. The internal mark is combined with your HSC mark (scaled and aligned) to produce your final result.

Only aligned, not scaled...scaling come into play when calculating ur UAI, but it has nothing to do with determining ur HSC results.

I'm unsure as to whether the students get pre- or post- additional point UAI's.

U dont actualy have 5 UAI points added to ur orginal UAI, it just means that u can enter a course that requires a UAI higher than that which u obtained. For example, say u recieved a UAI of 83, and ur EAS application was successful. Rural students will be able to enter a course that requires a UAI of 88, but when u get ur UAI it will say 83 and not 88.

16. Schools are ranked based on an average of the UAI's their students recieved.

Thats not how it works, schools are ranked based on the percentage of exams sat, that fall into the band 6 range... for example school A, sits for 10 HSC exams, 6 of those exams score marks of 90 or above, therefore 60% of the marks are 90 or above. School B sit for 10 exams, and out of those 10 only 2 come back with results of 90 or above, therefore only 20% of the exams attempted scored a mark of 90 or above, therefore school A will be ranked above School B.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)