School ranks.....affect uai? (1 Viewer)

sinist4

HSC
hey
how much would your school affect you uai, say if its like the at the very bottom, however you get a good mark/rank ?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
ur mark isnt as important as ur rank....even if u get a good mark and get a shit ass rank ull still be low unless the range from 1st to bottom is minute but otherwise i think u need to boost it up or else ur in trouble

A l

HSC
N/A
sinist4 said:
hey
how much would your school affect you uai, say if its like the at the very bottom, however you get a good mark/rank ?
Your school would affect your UAI, through internal assessment tasks. Your ranks are very important regardless of marks since, logically speaking, the more people you beat at school, the more people you beat in the state.

toeknee

HSC
rank is more important then mark isnt it?
but in the instance that you get a poor rank, high mark, high hsc mark but the class gets a poor hsc result what would happen to your hsc mark then?
cause i know your school ass. mark gets pushed up to the next highest ranking position above you but what if this weird arse situation were to occur?
can you appeal against the school ass. mark?
and i find it interesting that in school ass. marks im consistenly low end of scale whereas in the exams that are marked by an independent org. outside of school my exam marks are pretty much near top of grade. can i file for discrimnation or something if this occurs in hsc as well considering its been occuring for what year 10 certificate, year 7 ella, snap year 8 ella, snap and yeah got some other examples.

Lazarus help please?
you're the law student :)

toeknee

sinist4

HSC
A l said:
Your school would affect your UAI, through internal assessment tasks. Your ranks are very important regardless of marks since, logically speaking, the more people you beat at school, the more people you beat in the state.
so.... if you get the top rank in a couple of subs and an okay on others, your uai wouldnt be affect that much.

A l

HSC
N/A
toeknee said:
rank is more important then mark isnt it?
but in the instance that you get a poor rank, high mark, high hsc mark but the class gets a poor hsc result what would happen to your hsc mark then?
A high HSC mark does not mean that you are in a poor rank. If you score better in the exam in regards to the state ranking, then your school marks would be lifted if they are too low. You need to know a process called moderation. This is where the distribution of raw marks in the internal school assessment tasks are adjusted in accordance to the school's performance in the external exam.
toeknee said:
cause i know your school ass. mark gets pushed up to the next highest ranking position above you but what if this weird arse situation were to occur?
Your school assessment mark corresponds to the rank in your school and once they are moderated, they can be compared to the state.
toeknee said:
and i find it interesting that in school ass. marks im consistenly low end of scale whereas in the exams that are marked by an independent org. outside of school my exam marks are pretty much near top of grade. can i file for discrimnation or something if this occurs in hsc as well considering its been occuring for what year 10 certificate, year 7 ella, snap year 8 ella, snap and yeah got some other examples.
I assume you mean that your ranks are low under your school's own marking system, but your ranks become high by independent exams and marking system.
You cannot really lodge a complaint or appeal unless you have solid proof and reasoning that you've been unfairly marked in your school's own assessments.

A l

HSC
N/A
sinist4 said:
so.... if you get the top rank in a couple of subs and an okay on others, your uai wouldnt be affect that much.
It is difficult to give a definite answer, since academic performance in an individual school is really hard to measure against the entire state mostly due to cast and often unpredictable variations across schools. Basically, the more people you beat at school, the more people you are likely to beat in the state, thus raising your UAI.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
internal marks moderated? how?? what if you are in a smart school doing a HARD trial and everybody fails. BUT everybody does very well in hsc exam.

A l

HSC
N/A
Smart_Dunce said:
internal marks moderated? how?? what if you are in a smart school doing a HARD trial and everybody fails. BUT everybody does very well in hsc exam.
If that is the case, then the RAW internal marks are moderated up in accordance to the performance in the external exam.

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
so example if you ranked around the 60's out of 120 at school, does that mean your hsc is doomed? and does school rankings affect your hsc as well???

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
So you're saying that if someone was ranked first in the school for all subjects, and attained 90+ scores in all external HSC exams, but happened to attend a school for the mentally disabled, then the 30 or less marks of all other students at that school wouldn't hurt him?

(don't laugh, it's happening to me)
If you're in the first rank in the school for all your subjects and get the highest mark in the HSC exam in all subjects as well - you wont be affected by any other students at all. You'll get your marks only, that is your 90+ for the real HSC.

Coming number 1 in your school allows you to get the highest mark from the HSC that comes from your school. This is added to your mark that you recieve from the HSC and then divided into two for the real HSC score.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
bitchgirl said:
so example if you ranked around the 60's out of 120 at school, does that mean your hsc is doomed? and does school rankings affect your hsc as well???
School Rankings have no effect on the HSC marks. School Rankings only show how well the school went the year before. If you are ranked 60 out of 120, you will get the 60th best mark from the HSC subject which comes from your school. This mark will be then added to your HSC external exam score, then divided into 2 for the real HSC score.

Obviously you should therefore try to go for no. 1 rank in your school so that you can 'steal' the best mark from the HSC to go into your Internal exam mark. But no student is really disadvantaged because of the school they go to.

The UAI is calculated by scaling of HSC marks of HSC students. I dont really know much on this, as the formula to calculate which subjects get better scaling than other subjects depend on the quality of students who perform in that subject in that HSC year. Hence scaling is only determined after the HSC results are in and after the HSC exams. For example if all (or most) of the students get mediocre scores in geography but they all do exceptionally well (90+ marks) in other subjects such as Maths ext. 2 and physics, the scaling of geography would increase. Thats the best I know anyway - Lazarus I'm sure knows more.

SO NO. SCHOOL RANKS DO NOT AFFECT UAI

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
what971 said:
School Rankings have no effect on the HSC marks. School Rankings only show how well the school went the year before. If you are ranked 60 out of 120, you will get the 60th best mark from the HSC subject which comes from your school. This mark will be then added to your HSC external exam score, then divided into 2 for the real HSC score.

Obviously you should therefore try to go for no. 1 rank in your school so that you can 'steal' the best mark from the HSC to go into your Internal exam mark. But no student is really disadvantaged because of the school they go to.

The UAI is calculated by scaling of HSC marks of HSC students. I dont really know much on this, as the formula to calculate which subjects get better scaling than other subjects depend on the quality of students who perform in that subject in that HSC year. Hence scaling is only determined after the HSC results are in and after the HSC exams. For example if all (or most) of the students get mediocre scores in geography but they all do exceptionally well (90+ marks) in other subjects such as Maths ext. 2 and physics, the scaling of geography would increase. Thats the best I know anyway - Lazarus I'm sure knows more.

SO NO. SCHOOL RANKS DO NOT AFFECT UAI

feww, i thought i does affect your UAI because at school etc im hearing around that it affects your uai etc, thanks for the info

Waldo

Hiding Somewhere
HSC
I think bitch girl was talking about ranks as in her rank in the school.

not schools rank cause the answer to that is a NO

*sigh* i wished I've studied by self-tution dont have to deal with school rankings and still be able to get a uai.

dave28

HSC
please dont yell at me for not understanding, but am i right (doubtful, but still...) in saying that "if i had only say 4 people in my class, came bottom in internal assessment ranking overall (but not by much), it would affect my scaled HSC mark which comes from combination of internal assessments & HSC exam, but my actual UAI would not be affected because i was lower than the other three people?"

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Waldo said:
I think bitch girl was talking about ranks as in her rank in the school.

not schools rank cause the answer to that is a NO

*sigh* i wished I've studied by self-tution dont have to deal with school rankings and still be able to get a uai.
ehhh...

I dont think you want to try OTEN....

Last edited:

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
dave28 said:
please dont yell at me for not understanding, but am i right (doubtful, but still...) in saying that "if i had only say 4 people in my class, came bottom in internal assessment ranking overall (but not by much), it would affect my scaled HSC mark which comes from combination of internal assessments & HSC exam, but my actual UAI would not be affected because i was lower than the other three people?"
hmmm...

say for example you did come bottom of your class for your subject. Then the lowest mark in the external HSC exam would count as the HSC mark for your internal HSC assessment marks.

Meanwhile Scaling of HSC marks comes afterwards, determined by the number of 'smart' people in the subject in the state. For example say every person doing geography in the state got 80 in geography and they all got 100 for Maths ext.
Then 80 for geography = 100 for Maths ext. Hence geo would be scaled higher and add significantly to your UAI.

The UAI is determined by your HSC scores and the HSC scaling of those scores - and not influenced in any way by internal school ranks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)