School said they're giving me 0 if a miss a trials exams (1 Viewer)

entartung

HSC
Most schools seem to give an estimate mark if a student misses a trial exam. However, my school said that if i miss one i'll get an automatic 0. They said that they're not allowed to give estimates and that other schools are breaking the rules. I'm worried that my school is incorrect, as i've checked the NESA website and it says that schools follow their own procedures for internal tasks.

I have a moderate/severe mental condition and my psychiatrist is willing to back me up. However, i don't know if i should push it.

Also, i've done more than 50% of my school based tasks for each subject. I informed my school of this, but they said it only means that i can graduate and that i will still only get 0 if i miss a trial exam.

Not sure what to do. It seems very unfair to me as so many other schools do maintain rank/ estimate and my school is aware that i've been struggling with a mental condition for the past 2 years (which has gotten worse the past 2 months).

I feel like my school is pressuring me to do pathways (HSC over 2 years) and are giving me a hard time since i don't want to do that (i want to get HSC over with, and i'm not keen on doing the new syllabus' HSC).

JaxsenW

HSC
If your psychiatrist will back you up, and you can get a doctor's certificate, I would reccomend ringing NESA about it to see what they think. If you're backed by NESA, there is nothing your school can really do besides give you an estimate.
For what it's worth, we haven't had anyone miss trials, but we had someone miss about 4 half yearly exams, provided a doctor's certificate and they got an estimate.
Hope that helps, good luck :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

entartung

HSC
If your psychiatrist will back you up, and you can get a doctor's certificate, I would reccomend ringing NESA about it to see what they think. If you're backed by NESA, there is nothing your school can really do besides give you an estimate.
For what it's worth, we haven't had anyone miss trials, but we had someone miss about 4 half yearly exams, provided a doctor's certificate and they got an estimate.
Hope that helps, good luck :)

My parents called NESA and my mum said they were really vague. Apparently they said the internal mark is 'assessment based' and implied that schools aren't supposed to give estimates? I have no idea what to do now

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
My parents called NESA and my mum said they were really vague. Apparently they said the internal mark is 'assessment based' and implied that schools aren't supposed to give estimates? I have no idea what to do now
I'm guessing by internal mark they mean half of the final mark on your transcript, not the exam mark. Maybe call again!

If it's impossible for you to do the exam then allg but I think try do it if possible!

brbstudying

HSC
Most schools seem to give an estimate mark if a student misses a trial exam. However, my school said that if i miss one i'll get an automatic 0. They said that they're not allowed to give estimates and that other schools are breaking the rules. I'm worried that my school is incorrect, as i've checked the NESA website and it says that schools follow their own procedures for internal tasks.

I have a moderate/severe mental condition and my psychiatrist is willing to back me up. However, i don't know if i should push it.

Also, i've done more than 50% of my school based tasks for each subject. I informed my school of this, but they said it only means that i can graduate and that i will still only get 0 if i miss a trial exam.

Not sure what to do. It seems very unfair to me as so many other schools do maintain rank/ estimate and my school is aware that i've been struggling with a mental condition for the past 2 years (which has gotten worse the past 2 months).

I feel like my school is pressuring me to do pathways (HSC over 2 years) and are giving me a hard time since i don't want to do that (i want to get HSC over with, and i'm not keen on doing the new syllabus' HSC).
First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through stuff like that. And I also don't think it's fair that they'll give you an automatic zero for missing a trial exam when you're in "extenuating" circumstances. You can argue that there is no "official NESA rule" to follow that prohibits estimates, so your school's wrong by default in stating that.

In Year 11, I once missed an entire essay question (worth 20 marks lmao) in the Modern History yearly exam. They confronted me about it, I told them that I forgot to flip to the next page so I didn't see the question, and they gave me an estimate of 92. o_O So I think they should be allowed to give estimates, because if you get 0, meaning 0% gets counted into your final internal mark/rank, then that would obviously put you at a disadvantage over all those who took the trials, which isn't fair. Or they can just use the 50% you've already done and maintain your rank as that - I think that's one option, but idk if your school would be willing to do that.

brbstudying

HSC
I don't think that automatically implies that schools aren't supposed to give estimates - if it was a real "rule" then they would've made it clearer. Maybe try calling again.

richie2154

HSC
Most schools seem to give an estimate mark if a student misses a trial exam. However, my school said that if i miss one i'll get an automatic 0.
People do tend to get zero if they don't show up for exams. However, most schools can give estimates as an option, with grounds.
They said that they're not allowed to give estimates and that other schools are breaking the rules.
Other schools give estimates and they haven't been closed down. If you want to prove it to your school, contact the Department of Education and NESA and ask them.
I'm worried that my school is incorrect, as i've checked the NESA website and it says that schools follow their own procedures for internal tasks.
Schools do set their own procedures, and that might include not giving estimates. I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow that, though.
I have a moderate/severe mental condition and my psychiatrist is willing to back me up.
Back you up about not attending an exam? Why did you not attend? Tell your school and submit evidence in an appeal, in accordance with your school's procedures.
However, i don't know if i should push it.
Getting zero is serious. You should definitely figure something out.
That's correct. Completing >50% of assessment tasks mainly relates to N determinations. It doesn't sound relevant to your issue.
If you missed an exam, obtain evidence. Get a letter signed by your parents about what happened. Appeal, in accordance with your school's procedures, to resit the exam/get an estimate and possibly request special provisions.
The school can strongly recommend pathways if they think you should. You decide if you want to do that. You've given valid reasons.
Apparently they said the internal mark is 'assessment based' and implied that schools aren't supposed to give estimates?
I'm fairly certain this just means that the school sets their own assessment tasks. No implication.

If you missed an exam due to a medical reasons, your school should allow you to either resit the exam or get an estimate.
Otherwise, post back with more info. :)

entartung

HSC
Thanks for all your advice every one, i really appreciate it. Basically i only have 2 options. Do pathways and complete half my units next year, or do 5 trials consecutively next week. Otherwise, i get 0

My situation is kinda hard to explain, since its not a physical illness. I fully understand if it seems like i just slacked off and jigged because i didn't study but i really do feel that i'm at a considerable disadvantage due to my mental issues. But schools says no, so i don't think there's anything i can do (if there is, pls let me know!). Especially since because schools make their own policies for internal exams, NESA can't even tell them what to do regarding this situation right.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Thanks for all your advice every one, i really appreciate it. Basically i only have 2 options. Do pathways and complete half my units next year, or do 5 trials consecutively next week. Otherwise, i get 0

My situation is kinda hard to explain, since its not a physical illness. I fully understand if it seems like i just slacked off and jigged because i didn't study but i really do feel that i'm at a considerable disadvantage due to my mental issues. But schools says no, so i don't think there's anything i can do (if there is, pls let me know!). Especially since because schools make their own policies for internal exams, NESA can't even tell them what to do regarding this situation right.
About the pathways thing, have you considered just doing it through TAFE Digital (formerly OTEN) next year? It's so much more flexible, and I know some people do even better with their ATAR through TAFE than through physical schooling.

entartung

HSC
About the pathways thing, have you considered just doing it through TAFE Digital (formerly OTEN) next year? It's so much more flexible, and I know some people do even better with their ATAR through TAFE than through physical schooling.
If i were to do pathways, it would be through TAFE. However, i'm trying to avoid that prospect as much as possible, i understand the potential benefits, it's just due to personal reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)