School scaling & HSC sample scaling (1 Viewer)

Mystique1506

HSC
I'm very worried... I used the HSC scaling tool on this website & I got around 75, but my ranking in class is good, I'm well above average for most subjects. What does this mean? My school has quite a good reputation and so if I'm doing quite well at school I am aiming for a satisfactory UAI (at least 85+).. by the estimate UAI from this website is 75...I'm so scared!

A l

HSC
N/A
Post your marks here.

Your raw school marks may not be a good indication of where you stand in the state. Many schools do have tough standards for their students hence resulting in lower raw school marks than their external exam marks. The Student Assessment Modeller uses marks which roughly correspond you to your rank in the state.

HSC
SAM wouldnt be terrible accurate entering in my half yearly results, i got 84 from half yearly assessment marks, but even if it is accurate (assuming i got those exact marks), and my predicted UAI is 84 in 2003, wouldn't it be ~75 for 2005?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
SAM works on HSC marks.

Your half-yearly marks are likely to be different to your HSC marks.

HSC
In terms of more or less? (my half yearly marks = half yearly exam results)

A l

HSC
N/A
Tish_88 said:
sooo does rank count more or mark?
Yes, ranks are important. When it comes to determining your UAI, ranks are taken, not marks. More importantly, your rank in the state is more significant than the individual marks in calculation of the UAI.

Tish_88

HSC
sorri i wasnt specific enough, i meant like when our assessment marks go into the board of studies, would top 4 in 4unit english eco legal n ancient do it, or would all my marks need to be in 90's?

A l

HSC
N/A
Tish_88 said:
sorri i wasnt specific enough, i meant like when our assessment marks go into the board of studies, would top 4 in 4unit english eco legal n ancient do it, or would all my marks need to be in 90's?
Your school assessment marks are moderated in accordance to your external examination. This means both your ranks within the school in both the external examination and the internal assessments would determine your final internal assessment mark.
Your external examination mark alone roughly gives you an idea of your place in the state, since everyone takes the same paper throughout each course.

Cab31

HSC
I ended up getting a lot higher than wat SAM was predicting coz my final HSC marks were higher than waht i was estimating based on half yearly's and stuff - so there is hope for you all!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
There's really no way to determine your UAI from raw internal marks anyway...it's virtually useless to try. However, if you want a really rough estimate you could try doing a few past HSC papers from the same year and see what mark you get...input them into SAM and see what it spits out, but again this neglects both the moderating and aligning processes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)