School UAI Estimates (1 Viewer)

sylvos88

HSC
Hey guys,

this is my first post at BOS so I thought I might make this one useful as the stuff on this forum is really good and interesting.

I'm from Sefton High and over at my school everyone gets a UAI estimate=

a little sheet of paper where you fill in your name and they grab your ranking and marks based solely on your half yearly marks and use that to calculate your UAI (estimate) with your Est UAI from 2003-06 listed consecutively.

Apparently Sefton has purchased some complex UAI calculation algorithm that is similar to the one used to calculate your actual UAI.

The Maths Head teacher reckons it is within 2-3 marks of what you'll actaully get in the HSC assuming you do the same. The Year 12's of 2006 I talked to say its accurate.

My question is: Is this thing accurate because it does not factor in assessments and my friends and I appear to do better in our assessments than what we got in the Half Yearlys?

And the other is if you don't do so well in the trials with an estimated UAI of 83 is it too late if you do better in the actual HSC to get an actual UAI of 90.00+?

Thanks guys! Look foward to more discussions:)

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
sylvos88 said:
My question is: Is this thing accurate because it does not factor in assessments and my friends and I appear to do better in our assessments than what we got in the Half Yearlys?

And the other is if you don't do so well in the trials with an estimated UAI of 83 is it too late if you do better in the actual HSC to get an actual UAI of 90.00+?
It can't be entirely accurate because they are tryign to predict how raw assessment marks will moderate. If you are doing better in assessments than the actual half yearly, and it estimates entirely on the half yearly mark, obviously your internal mark will be higher than is estimated and therefore a higher UAI.

For your second question you'd need to smash the HSC exam and your grade would have to do well aswell, to help moderate your internal marks higher.

sylvos88

HSC
Thanks,

Although my estimate kind of fluctuates between 83-92

the one this yr was 92 but last year it was 86 and the year before 83 and the year before 90-scary stuff.

I think its because I do 11 units at school (the ones I listed down on the form and therefore the ones used to calculate it) which accounts for the weirdness.

I actually do Eng Adv, Gen Maths (got 75% in the half yearlys=o), Ancient Hist, Legal, Eco (screwed that up badly) and Stud of religion 1 unit (ranked 1# 95% for half yearlys) and Latin (2u) at Sat School (which isnt counted).

As you can see, I didnt do too well in my half yearlys for everything except 1 unit religion and I hope I do a lot better in the trials which I have heard, determine A LOT of what counts towards your final HSC.

True?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
sylvos88 said:
Hey guys,

this is my first post at BOS so I thought I might make this one useful as the stuff on this forum is really good and interesting.

I'm from Sefton High and over at my school everyone gets a UAI estimate=

a little sheet of paper where you fill in your name and they grab your ranking and marks based solely on your half yearly marks and use that to calculate your UAI (estimate) with your Est UAI from 2003-06 listed consecutively.

Apparently Sefton has purchased some complex UAI calculation algorithm that is similar to the one used to calculate your actual UAI.

The Maths Head teacher reckons it is within 2-3 marks of what you'll actaully get in the HSC assuming you do the same. The Year 12's of 2006 I talked to say its accurate.

Thanks guys! Look foward to more discussions:)
Don't know where you heard about the accuracy level but I'm from Sefton Class of 06 and I can tell you that these UAI estimates are waaaaaayyyyyy off (as in they are often too high, not too low :p).
We had way too many 99 estimates, enough to even surpass Fort Street's actual results (which obviously didn't happen). For some they were close, but for many others they were just too high even though they continued to have consistent results.
The person with the lowest actual UAI (who got a 99 estimate) got 95+ with the person with highest actual UAI with that estimate obviously got 99+. So the accuracy is more like +/- 4 or 5 max, which means its fairly inaccurate lol.
I mean when everyone got those estimates, everyone was like "as if I would get that high!" although we did kinda hope they were accurate lol. So it would be best to trust your intuition, because a lot of the time, your own honest estimate is the most accurate one!

The only good thing those extra high UAI estimates did, was that they helped some people in their MBBS applications. The application required a UAI estimate and the fact that so many people got 99, even though their actual UAI was eventually lower, allowed them to be selected into later stages of selection (which occured before the actual results came out).

sylvos88

HSC
Cheers, Sefton ppl are wayy cool....Coombs ain't.

It's gone downhill from since you left man, she banned our Year 12 Concert and I dunno whats happening instead=(

About the accuracy, Deborah and Heng actually said it was pretty close or spot on for them....but like you said, everyone getting 99 is ridiculous...although the Sefton Class of 07' is pretty smart like you guys!=)

What do you think about the fact they don't count assessments as part of the estimate?

I really hope my actual UAI is 90+...I'm not that prepared for trials which begin next monday!!

sylvos88

HSC
Sorry guys,

btw, from my marks from the half yearly, can you give me a rough estimate

Note: Half Yearlys Weighting 20-30% each

English: 35/50 rank middle somewhere (31/60?)

Gen Maths: 75/100 rank: 2/19

Legal: 35/50 rank: 20/40

Ancient: 36/50 rank: 15/40 (I normally get 95-100% for other asessments)

Economics: 30/50 rank:27/40

Studies of religion (I unit): 94% rank: 1/24

Sefton's UAI estimate says 83-86, what do you guys have?

And if I do a lot better in assessments (85-95% average) and the assessments are weighted about the same as half yearlys (25-30%) how many more UAI points should be added on?

Thanks a Lot!

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
id say around 80-85 for the time being.
you could always prove me wrong though :p

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
sylvos88 said:
It's gone downhill from since you left man, she banned our Year 12 Concert and I dunno whats happening instead=(
Yeah, I heard...the school is becoming more and more conservative by the day. They're so paranoid of student rebellion...lol....somehow this reminds me of the state of Hogwarts school in Harry Potter 5, where the Umbridge woman (representing Coombes!! LOL) took over the school.......Sooner or later, all the students are going to boycott the school :p

sylvos88 said:
About the accuracy, Deborah and Heng actually said it was pretty close or spot on for them....but like you said, everyone getting 99 is ridiculous...although the Sefton Class of 07' is pretty smart like you guys!=)
lol, Heng was one of those who got an estimate of 99, and he ended up with 97+, though mind you he did top the state for a Saturday school language subject in 2005.....

sylvos88 said:
What do you think about the fact they don't count assessments as part of the estimate?
I guess the half yearlies or trials seem to be a better indication of how well you'll do in the actual HSC exam. Other assessment tasks don't really reflect on the structure or content of the official exams compared to half yearlies or trial exams. However, they lack accuracy in actual total ranks...

Last edited:

sh1n1gam1

HSC
Dont stress too much man. Sefton's UAI estimate thing is not very good. It only takes into account your half yearly marks ,not your true ranking.

PS My estimate was 97 which i thought it was high =.= (Even though i didnt do too well in Ext 2 maths and Chem)

sylvos88

HSC
Definately-I'll do wayyyy better for Legal, ancient and Maths+Religion+Latin (I do SatSchool and Im getting 93-95% all assess=)

not sure about english and eco though =(

desipryde

HSC
hey fellas

could u estimate my UAI, i always get different 1's LOL
here are my marks and position

Std English: 84% (8/73)

Chemistry: 80%(5/24) <-- can lift it up a bit

Biology: 70% (15/23) <-- can improve much more

Ancient: 90% (10/47)

Ext Maths: 44% (10/14) <-- Can improve much more

2u Maths: 52%(12/28) <--- i got 74% in my last terms exam

I.T. at TAFE: 93% (3/14)

These were my half yearly marks, and i've been improving, so cud u ppl gimme a rough estimate of my UAI plz, thx, i've used SAM from BOS, so dw bout using that n telling me, i find that non-reliable :)

thankyou

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Schools that use UAI estimators are quite dodgy unless they make it very clear that

A: The marks you input into the calculator has no real reflectance of HSC performance since the marks obtained are from non-standard assessments that vary in difficulty in comparison to the HSC exam.

B: Not enough assessments have been made to make an accurate judgement of your UAI, especially since you have not completed your trial exams yet.

C: Most importantly, they need to understand how and why the UAI calculator works. They need to know how to use it before calling in students and asking them to put in marks in hope by pressing the 'enter' button it will provide some accurate measure.

But what the calculator is useful for is determining what type of HSC marks the student requires with his/her particular subjects. That way they have a known goal to reach. For example, a student wants to do a particular university course that requires a UAI of 85. With the calculator you can estimate the range of marks required to achieve that 85 UAI and know which subjects to focus your attention to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)