Sci/bus at UTS v Sci/Comm at UNSW (1 Viewer)

Rachael325

HSC
Hey which do u think would be better: Combined science/business at UTS or combined science/commerce at UNSW. ANY input would be greatly appreciated.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
not considering sydney?
i'd say unsw, as I haven't heard good things about science at UTS (Read: i haven't heard ANYTHING about science at UTS).
UNSW isn't that great either from what I hear (75 cutoff for straight science, although as we know cutoffs don't always mean anything - i.e. UTS cutoff is higher for straight science). However the commerce degree from unsw is very good (especially if you're majoring in accounting).
Any particular reason why you're not considering usyd though?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
UNSW science is very good. It's got areas where it's superior to USyd, others where it is on par, others where it is inferior..

What's your planned major, Rachael?

Idyll

HSC
The program structure of a Commerce/Science degree at Usyd to the one at UNSW is also quite different. Comm/Sci at UNSW is 4 years, while at Usyd it's 5 years. This is because you can complete more majors at Usyd than you can at UNSW. Whether that's worthwhile for you is a decision you have to make.

I would say UNSW science is very good, and certainly is not inferior to Usyd science. In terms of the program structure at UNSW for Comm/Sci it goes something like this (i'm currently 1st year in this program):

Year 1:
Compulsory commerce subjects (Accounting 1a/1b and Microeconomics 1/Macroeconomics 1).
4 Science courses (a large number of first year courses are offered as pairs, i.e. do 1a in session 1 1b in session 2. This means that you might choose, for instance to do chemistry 1a/1b along with maths 1a/1b)

Year 2:
By this stage you're often starting to work towards your majors, however there's still room to swap and change. You also have to do a compulsory statistics course (there's about 5 to choose from).
There are also requirements in 1st/2nd year with regard to the number of commerce and science subjects you must complete by the end of the year.

If you go to www.handbook.unsw.edu.au and type in course code 3529 you'll be able to read all the degree rules.

A lot of people choose Commerce/Science at UNSW to major in Actuarial Studies in their commerce degree (and often maths in the science degree, but not always) - although this shouldn't really impact on your decision.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
UTS just released their Science/Business-Commerce courses so it would be risky attending those as they may of not organized everything as yet. UNSW would be safer (but DAMN ITS FAR) and UTS is crummy for science, dont even think about doing science there.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
NSW 'cause employers seem to like the word 'Commerce' over the bland 'Business'.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I"m just wondering, what career oppurtunities are there for a science-business/commerce double degree? And jobs that actually require both?

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
well as u can c i'm doin a Scence/Commerce deg at USYD. i chose this cause i wanted to keep my option sopen as i was very directionless and disillussioned this tiem last year.

I hope to get a psychology major (Science) and combine it with either a marketing or HR major, these majors are complementary.
two degrees are a bonus

stazi

Nightman
HSC
aim54x said:
well as u can c i'm doin a Scence/Commerce deg at USYD. i chose this cause i wanted to keep my option sopen as i was very directionless and disillussioned this tiem last year.

I hope to get a psychology major (Science) and combine it with either a marketing or HR major, these majors are complementary.
two degrees are a bonus
I'm also going for marketing and psych major :) However, I'm doing it via Commerce (Liberal Studies)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Cut offs mean nothing. I know people who got into adv science at usyd in the main round with a UAI of 91!

The reason UNSW science cut off is so low is because it doesn't have a quota.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
the thing about a double degree is that you will do less subjects in both fields...you will not have a greater comprehensive knowledge than a person who followed science or business on their own.

but, either way people know uai cutoffs dont really reflect how good a course can be

whats important is what you make of it

you might be more suited to uts or unsw- in the end its your learning experience and not magically somehow different because you did sci/;bus at one particular uni over the over

Rachael325

HSC
Wow so much input. Thanks guys its actually my boyfriend im asking for. He originally didnt want to go to USYD cause he said he went to some science lectures there and they seemed crap compared to ones he went to at UNSW. But it seems u guys are all very much in favour of USYD. Um yes he wants to do Science and commerce because he's interested in both - really likes science but would rather work in business. Erm majors he's not sure yet. Interested possibly in marketing or management, not sure for science. Sounds like u all think science at UTS is really really bad. So i guess now its really between USYD and UNSW. My boyfriend actually lives closer to UNSW and would prob drive there. Ah its difficult to decide!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Rachael325 said:
Wow so much input. Thanks guys its actually my boyfriend im asking for. He originally didnt want to go to USYD cause he said he went to some science lectures there and they seemed crap compared to ones he went to at UNSW. But it seems u guys are all very much in favour of USYD. Um yes he wants to do Science and commerce because he's interested in both - really likes science but would rather work in business. Erm majors he's not sure yet. Interested possibly in marketing or management, not sure for science. Sounds like u all think science at UTS is really really bad. So i guess now its really between USYD and UNSW. My boyfriend actually lives closer to UNSW and would prob drive there. Ah its difficult to decide!
so he actually went to some university level science lectures? that's pretty wierd if he's still in school.

Rachael325

HSC
They were at the open days. I would have thought lectures on the open days would be a good indication of what the courses are actually like, since thats the purpose of open days.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
One day shouldnt determine the course of your entire education.

Rachael325

HSC
yeah i know. but there's not much else for high schoolers to go off. or does anyone have any other ideas how u can get more of an idea what a particular uni is like?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Rachael325 said:
yeah i know. but there's not much else for high schoolers to go off. or does anyone have any other ideas how u can get more of an idea what a particular uni is like?
Enrol into different uni's concurrently :p

0o0

o0o
HSC
N/A
id say unsw for sure.

uts and usyd are good, but unsw has a really good commerce department, it has the best accounting school in australia. science i hear is good at unsw as well, but dunno if its better then usyd or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)