Science (adv) and Medical science (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Picking a course on UAI requirement, not on content? tsk, tsk.

tennille

HSC
I chose advanced science as my first 2 choices then medical science as my next 3 choices. I was tossing up between the two, and decided to do the former because there are more career opportunities and I think it's possible to transfer to medical science (I called up UNSW and they said you could). Medical Science, although there are many career opportunites, you're basically stuck in that field. People who know what they want to do would be better off choosing medical science, whereas someone who is still unsure of what they want to do, like me, are better off choosing advance science. I dunno...hehehe

Medical science you need 92.80. Advance science you need 90.55. I'm glad advance science is lower :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Tennille is right. If you still don't know what field of science you want to do, do Advanced Science. It gives you greater flexibility during the first year of your study.

I didn't choose Advanced Science because i wanted the option of whether to do an honour or not. remember, In Adv science you must complete your honours (the 4th year), whereas in Med sci, it is optional.

psych_girl

HSC
medical science

Survivor39 said:
Tennille is right. If you still don't know what field of science you want to do, do Advanced Science. It gives you greater flexibility during the first year of your study.

I didn't choose Advanced Science because i wanted the option of whether to do an honour or not. remember, In Adv science you must complete your honours (the 4th year), whereas in Med sci, it is optional.
Thx.....lol
so what advantage for doing medical science.....I know totally it is a pre-medicine
course....If u cant get into Medicine at master level...what can u do? become a researcher? ummmmmm....................so can i enter to M science at second year? what is the requirement for it? I mean GPA....any idea? If i enter to second year, the 1st year would be the science.....can i complete them in any uni in australia? or i must do it in a particular uni? thx :eek:

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
if you undertake a BMedSci (what lexicographer likes to call a BGamsat lol) then you will most likely either transfer into Medicine or be stuck in the Medical Research industry

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
psych_girl said:
Thx.....lol
so what advantage for doing medical science.....I know totally it is a pre-medicine
course....If u cant get into Medicine at master level...what can u do? become a researcher? ummmmmm....................so can i enter to M science at second year? what is the requirement for it? I mean GPA....any idea? If i enter to second year, the 1st year would be the science.....can i complete them in any uni in australia? or i must do it in a particular uni? thx :eek:
Basically if you know that you want to study biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, physicology, anatomy and pharmacology, then choose B Med sc. It provide a structured pathway to guide you to what subjects you need to do to major in those areas. Another advantage is the optional 4th Honours year for meritorious students.

It is not a pre-medicine course becuase it is a science degree that help you to become a medical researcher. But like any other science degrees would suffice you to get into medicine.

I am prety sure you can get into Med science at second year if you did chem, bio and maths in other unis, like USyd. They will look at your first year results and your UAI. you probably need at least credit average to get you in, depends on your UAI as well.

psych_girl

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Basically if you know that you want to study biochemistry, genetics, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, physicology, anatomy and pharmacology, then choose B Med sc. It provide a structured pathway to guide you to what subjects you need to do to major in those areas. Another advantage is the optional 4th Honours year for meritorious students.

It is not a pre-medicine course becuase it is a science degree that help you to become a medical researcher. But like any other science degrees would suffice you to get into medicine.

I am prety sure you can get into Med science at second year if you did chem, bio and maths in other unis, like USyd. They will look at your first year results and your UAI. you probably need at least credit average to get you in, depends on your UAI as well.
Thanks a lot

Aeolior

HSC
ooh,
Medical science you need 92.80. Advance science you need 90.55. I'm glad advance science is lower
So basically, for people wanting to get into medicine in UNSW, all you u need is a uai of 92.80 right? :p then couple of years on medical science, then we get transfered into medicine ;)

Wow, if so, then looks like going into medicine wasnt going to be like the crazy 99.95 uai people..

sunny

meh.
HSC
I think its a bit of a jump to just say "then we get transferred into medicine"....

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Aeolior said:
ooh,

So basically, for people wanting to get into medicine in UNSW, all you u need is a uai of 92.80 right? :p then couple of years on medical science, then we get transfered into medicine ;)

Wow, if so, then looks like going into medicine wasnt going to be like the crazy 99.95 uai people..
I agree with sunny. You can't JUST transfer to Medicine from other science degree. you need like HD average and a high UMAT score plus interview....

Bascially it's like as hard as getting 99+ UAI...

psych_girl

HSC
Survivor39 said:
I agree with sunny. You can't JUST transfer to Medicine from other science degree. you need like HD average and a high UMAT score plus interview....

Bascially it's like as hard as getting 99+ UAI...
I m afraid not....for UAI, its 95~96+interview, not 99+
btw, how hard for entering medical science @second year level......need GPA D or HD average?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
psych_girl said:
I m afraid not....for UAI, its 95~96+interview, not 99+
btw, how hard for entering medical science @second year level......need GPA D or HD average?
what?? for those who got 95-96, they probably got a really really high UMAT score and interview.....

Aeolior

HSC
>.< sorry I'm like still junior.. still in year 11, but next year will be year 12. Is it ok, if I can inquire, what is the umat and stuff? And if we want to try out medicine, does it mean I have to get a UAI of 96+ and get good interview in UNSW,etc..

For the medicine course sounds interesting.. maybe because I do much better in physics and chem..

psych_girl

HSC
Aeolior said:
>.< sorry I'm like still junior.. still in year 11, but next year will be year 12. Is it ok, if I can inquire, what is the umat and stuff? And if we want to try out medicine, does it mean I have to get a UAI of 96+ and get good interview in UNSW,etc..

For the medicine course sounds interesting.. maybe because I do much better in physics and chem..
For more infor, you can check UNSW website. Yeah, at least, U must do well in both physics and chemistry.......And Medicine is really difficult which is 6-year course at UNSW.....I will try to do graduate medicine 4 years at Usyd after I complete my first degree......:)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UMAT basicalli.. its a IQ + Comm. skills exam.. (i cant describe it in less words)
skills tat a group of ppl called ACER have assess that ppl goin into 5 to 6 yr med/dent/oral health courses should hav.. as there courses 'teach' basic sciences anyways
.. go see the medicine forum lots of explanations there :)

GAMSAT ( grad -entry) - this is lik u got a degree in ANY field (Arts, Nursing,.. watever) then u decide to do med.. it tests ure logic skills and ure basic science (mostly bio) knowledge.. this will allow u grad med schools lik Usyd, UoW (in 2007), i think UWS(in 2008).. flinders.. UQ.

u dun need a B Medsci for GAMSAT or Grad Med..
its just that u need uni level bio chem and phys.. which B MedSci does provides in the shortest amount of time

medicine isnt 'just 6 years' its stupifyingly (i realise that is not a word :p) long.. lik up to 15 yrs of training ..
its emotionally and physically stressful ,,.. thats why alot of places are implementing grad-entry cos high dropouts are common and unfavourable..

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah Medicine is extremely stressful. My sis is in her first yr of internship, and she's worked off her ass (74.5 hours week before last), and that part really proves whether u like the job or not. Cos u dont get paid a great deal, which i reckon, shows who really enjoys the job and who did it for the prestige/money etc.

Aeolior

HSC
ooh ty alot pschy and +Po1ntDeXt3r+ the info really did help ^^ I'll check up on unsw and the medicine forums :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)