Science (adv. math) (1 Viewer)

SeDaTeD

HSC
Lol, no I wasn't asking what I could do with it. It's just that some people get the impression that there's little to get into, despite the fact that there is a wide range of career opportunities available.

A

adamsaclown

I'm pretty sure you can do an arts major alongside your science major in any of the general science (BSc/BAdvSc) degrees w/o having to do Liberal Studies of BSc/BA... All up you get to do up to 48cp of non science units - which I think is enough for a major.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
affirmative...
i confirmed with sci student office 2day...

derrida

Old Hack
HSC
Templar said:
You can take art subjects but I don't think you can major in it, at least without TSP.
You double major in it in an arts subject.

But you cannot major in an arts subject by itself.

Bsc. BA is unneccesary.

Infact if you did Bsc. BA you could technically quadruple major in maths.

But that would be pointless, only an ego trip really.

You must honours in maths though nothing else.

derrida

Old Hack
HSC
lets make this clear

you can do BSc. Major in Advanced Maths (which is that ultra high uai one)
you can pick a second major in arts

or

BSc. where you do the advanced maths stream up to 3rd year and get honours. but this title of the degree would be BSc. (Maths) your not in the TSP with 10 people

or you can do BA (Maths) at the advanced level aswell but the title is different and your not in the TSP with like 10 people

You can even major in maths in some form or another in commerc, economics and engineering.

BSc/BA means you can do shit over 5 years....... and really concentrate on those arts subjects.

Or you can do BA/BSc

read that UAC guide for the difference.

(infact you can even do Bachelor Of Arts and Sciences) which is different you dont get 2 different degrees in this one.

So yeah.... i hope that cleared things up. Its complicated i know. Most people are mistaken about whats involved in each.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
derrida said:
You double major in it in an arts subject.

But you cannot major in an arts subject by itself.

Bsc. BA is unneccesary.

Infact if you did Bsc. BA you could technically quadruple major in maths.

But that would be pointless, only an ego trip really.

You must honours in maths though nothing else.
I'm seriously considering a triple major in maths because it means no more experimental sciences, and because BE (Mechatronics/Space Engineering)/BSc(Pure Maths/Pure Maths/Pure Maths) would look incredibly cool next to my name.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
derrida said:
lets make this clear

you can do BSc. Major in Advanced Maths (which is that ultra high uai one)
you can pick a second major in arts

or

BSc. where you do the advanced maths stream up to 3rd year and get honours. but this title of the degree would be BSc. (Maths) your not in the TSP with 10 people

or you can do BA (Maths) at the advanced level aswell but the title is different and your not in the TSP with like 10 people

You can even major in maths in some form or another in commerc, economics and engineering.

BSc/BA means you can do shit over 5 years....... and really concentrate on those arts subjects.

Or you can do BA/BSc

read that UAC guide for the difference.

(infact you can even do Bachelor Of Arts and Sciences) which is different you dont get 2 different degrees in this one.

So yeah.... i hope that cleared things up. Its complicated i know. Most people are mistaken about whats involved in each.
You can't major in maths in an engineering course, the highest you can get is the 12 compulsory intermediate maths units that you need to do for your degree and use your 12 free electives for senior maths, and that doesn't qualify as a major.

SeDaTeD

HSC
There aren't enough credit points of pure maths to triple major in it. It'd be more along the lines of pure/applied/stats or maybe a financial maths major chucked in.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
SeDaTeD said:
There aren't enough credit points of pure maths to triple major in it. It'd be more along the lines of pure/applied/stats or maybe a financial maths major chucked in.
They're changing it next year, and from what I remember in the new system there are 13 6cp units.

SeDaTeD

HSC
Would that be 13 maths units, or 13 pure maths units?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
8O triple major in PURE maths...
there are crazier pplz than me...

waffy, if u survive real/complex nxt year, u'd be good... real good...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
8O triple major in PURE maths...
there are crazier pplz than me...

waffy, if u survive real/complex nxt year, u'd be good... real good...
I didn't come to uni because I wanted to pass everything, I came because I wanted a challenge. And having had a look at some of the earlier real analysis stuff (eg axiomatic proofs, inductions, functions etc) it looks like fun.:D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I didn't come to uni because I wanted to pass everything, I came because I wanted a challenge. And having had a look at some of the earlier real analysis stuff (eg axiomatic proofs, inductions, functions etc) it looks like fun.:D
hm...
*thinks~~
yeh it's loads of fun... no sacarsm intended... but proving bit is a bitch... esp if u dun know wut the hell was going on...

8am vector + linear then 9am analysis does alot of damage on ur ability to maintain urself awake during lectures...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Seems the discrete and graph theory lectures are on later, so that's something to be thankful for I suppose.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
u bet...
if u do vector calc + linear , analysis, non linear, stat, u have 8-12 all math... o_O

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
u bet...
if u do vector calc + linear , analysis, non linear, stat, u have 8-12 all math... o_O
I don't think I'll be doing applied or stat units...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
xiao1985 said:
u need vector calc for engo
Vector calculus is both an applied and pure unit.:)

Also I might be able to weasel my way out of the engineering specific one into the regular unit which has less of an applied focus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)