• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

science at unsw (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
specialjenny said:
Thanks for replying. But what happen if people don't do good enough to do the honours year, what happen then??

Thanks!
Then you need to try to become a psychologist another way. Like apply for Master, then PhD. But if you cannot get high enough mark for honours, then I assume it would be equally difficult trying to get a place in Master of Science.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sonic said:
thanks for the help yeah it seems like a lot of work but i'll go for it and hold on till the end..
If you're a natural in chem and physics, then you should have nooo problem :)
UNSW chem is challenging and stimulating for those who excels at it. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them :D

*shivers at chem*

specialjenny

HSC
Thanks.

Because at UWS there is a postgraduate dip. which is a one year course which on completion of that, will make you into a psychologist in training. Just wasn't sure if UNSW had the same.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
not compulsory, but most subjects and majors need it as a prerequisite.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
but you could get by in yr1 without any maths? (if u were planning to transfer after 1 yr FTE.)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
You COULD, but it'd fuck up most subjects you'd ever want to do in Science

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You are asked to do at least 1 maths subject in first year (6 units). I don't think that's too much to ask for a science student, which ties with maths anyway.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Some excellent. So crap. (as like any other uni) you can't have excellent lecturer all the time :D

Sikeveo, what field of science do you want to study?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Possibly chemistry or biology. Or something along those lines. Cos i went to the unsw open day and found the genetics lecture boring, probably cos i haven't done bio, but at usyd the lecturers seemed really enthuisiastic. Plus usyd will be about 30mins from my new house whereas unsw will be a lot more :(

But then again i didn't go to any subject specific lectures at usyd, only general overviews of the course.

Why did you pick unsw over usyd?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
They are equally great! whichever you pick you'll expose to some extremely talented people working with you, in a high-tech environment. :)

I really like UNSW's Biological science subjects because they are usually very organise. The first year labs are clean and modern. You can pick later year subjects in biology because they don't have prerequisites. I did a third year bio subject in my second year last semester. :)

Basically you will get boring lecturers from time to time at USyd or UNSW. It just so happen when you went to UNSW, a boring lecturer came up :D. If Dr Louis-Lutze Man or Dr Kathy Takayma came on you'll love them!

I can only offer you advice for UNSW. Good luck!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Opps, I didn't read your question properly. I picked UNSW because:

For the science degree, UNSW is more flexible. In USyd, they would have made me do Physics, 2 semester of maths. In UNSW, I only have to do 1 semester of maths and no physics at all if you don't want to. Plus 3 electives for UNSW first year.

I like the campus better, which of course, is an individual opinion. :D

Bascially both uni offer advanced level or normal level subjects so it's the same. Really if you don't care about doing physics or maths and the campus is similar to you, then it's really a flip of a coin which uni you should go!

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Thanks :) All the UNSW people I speak to seem really enthuisiastic and passionate about their courses so I think that shows something ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)