Science/Commerce. Where should i do it? (1 Viewer)

wansmith

HSC
hi, i'm enquiring about the science/commerce degrees at USYD and UNSW. am i correct in saying that its 4 years at nsw and 5 years at usyd? also if any of you are in a position to comment on one or both of the unis in comparison with regards to science/commerce, it would be much appreciated. i would be doing physics or maths for the science degree and i'm yet undecided as to what i would choose to major in for commerce. Also, would the Commerce(liberal studies) degree be a viable option?
thanks

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Yeah USYD is more longer and more expensive for science/commerce. If you have time maybe after the HSC you should try to find someone who is at USYD and someone at UNSW, and get them to send you some materials such as lecture notes and assessments. You should compare them both to see which one you would like to be learning and sitting an exam for.

Affinity

HSC
UNSW tries to kick you out with the bare minimum, so it's 4 years.. I heard you can get a more general education from Usyd.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
You're doing two degrees. Thats 3+3 years. UNSW tries to do it in 2.5+1.5 years, roughly, I think, and USyd some combination which adds up to 5 years.

You choose the one you want. Obviously you're going to do less in 4 years than you would in 5 years, but that may be what you're looking for.

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
Usyd has got 3 years for science and 2 years for commerce. I think for the first 3 years you do science then the next 2 you study commerce, correct me if I'm wrong. This basically makes it seem like you're just doing one degree then going on to do another one.

At UNSW we do the two programs together, like for first year you would take Economics, Accounting, Math, and Physics. And if you want to do 5 years at UNSW you can, just go on to Honours year for either science or commerce.

I think for 5 years: Honours+science/commerce@UNSW > science/commerce@USyd.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah, I personally like UNSW's setup better.

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
UNSW doesnt offer a combined commerce/science(advanced) degree either. I still think 4 years is alot better than 5 though :) Go UNSW

MAICHI

HSC
N/A
But Advance Science at UNSW is nothing more than the normal B.Science plus the added compulsory Honours year. I think you also get to take some majors (like math/finance) which are not allowed for normal B.Science. But if you're taking a double degree then you can also major in finance and math.

Not sure about USyd Advance Science though, don't know what the difference there is between Advance Science and normal B.Science. I think it's a really popular program there since the UAI is over inflated due to the herding effect.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I concur with the above. Marginal period of time for extra degree = 1yr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)