Science degree (1 Viewer)

NizDiz

HSC
Hi guys, I missed the USYD Open day, so just wondering with the Science degree, can you choose to do 2 majors, like 1 science major and and 1 from another faculty (i.e. Finance from Business)??

Also I had a look at a hypothetical study timetable for the Science degree. With the 'Junior electives', is that 'Core Science Electives' or elective based on your chosen future major option?

Hope you guys can help, Thanks :)

ADrew

HSC
Uni Grad
unfortunately science only allows majors from within the science faculty at sydney. But you can take units from other faculties. Most majors would only require like 12 cp of core first year. the rest would be supporting electives (such as maths which is compulsory in 1st year) or anything you like, provided the science faculty allows you to enrol in those units.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The above is correct.

Perhaps look at Arts and see their possible majors. I believe it is possible to major in something in Arts (which can be something like Economics) and a science.

jenslekman

HSC
If you're thinking about science and commerce majors but you don't want to do a double degree - consider commerce (liberal studies) - you could major in finance + do the science major you enjoy + a few arts subjects

NizDiz

HSC
Thanks guys :) I'm keen on B Science (Financial Mathematics and Statistics). Do you guys recommend me to study another major/ elective, i.e. would it be necessary to do finance?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Not necessary, no. But it would complement your studies well and if you ever wanted to get into a career in finance you would be well placed having that science background as well. Just as a side note if you did choose to major in finance than you would have to be looking at either Commerce/Science or Commerce (Liberal Studies), as has been said before the Bachelor of Science course doesn't allow majors outside of the Science faculty.

Which other majors you wish to take really doesn't matter. I actually intend to do both of the finance and financial mathematics and statistics majors as part of a combined commerce/science program, but it's totally up to you. Personally I think there's something to be said about versatility, but I guess it's just a matter of finding the right balance.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Just be careful on what major you are actually picking.

Financial Mathematics & Statistics is very similar to a Statistics major and it's probably not an easy major to do unless you some have aptitude for it (*looks at Trebla*).

NizDiz

HSC
hmm okay thanks for the advice guys :) Wat about for 1st year subject in Science degree? Im confused with that, is there core subjects?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Only 12 credit points of maths. The rest is optional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)