science degree (1 Viewer)

Linda N

HSC
N/A
I’m really confused about the major and the units of study in Bachelor of Science and Medical Science. Can anyone please briefly explained what is studied on the first year and second year for these degrees?

Linda N

HSC
N/A
So far I know that the first year in Science and Medical study the same subjects. I think like chemistry, biology or something. Is this right so far?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
ok let me explain this clearly.

B Science
1st year
8 subjects worth 6 units of credit (think of this as the units in the HSC)
This is because science covers such a diverse area of study that it is impossible to give you the detail of what subjects you do. Most people pick 2 Biology, 2 chemistry, 2 maths and 2 other science subjects, like Geology depends on what area of science you are interested in.

2nd year. (For demonstration, i'll pick microbiology as my major or area of specilisation)
You must do
MICR2201 Microbiology and immunology AND MICR2011 Microbiology 1 AND BIOS2021 genetics OR BIOC2201 Molecular Biology.
plus 5 other science subjects of your choice.

B MedSc

First year
CHEM1011, CHEM1021, BIOS1201, BIOS1101, MATHS1XXX (diffeent levels of maths to choose from), BSSM1110 perspective in medical science, and 2 science electives, like psychology, or more maths, or physics etc.

2nd year
(For simplicity, i wish to major in Microbiology in Med science, so you can compare and contrast the difference between the two degrees)
MICR2201 AND MICR2011 AND BIOS2021 AND BIOC2201
AND BIOC2101 AND one of Anatomy, physiology or histology subject
BSSM2220 Persective in Medical science II.

As you can see, medical science is more structure as it guides you to the most relevant subjects for your major, whereas science is less strict about your electives (more of them).

Last edited:

Tamara_C

HSC
If i'm doing a b science majoring in food science and nutrition I just swap the immunology subjects with food subjects??? Is that how it works??

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Tamara_C said:
If i'm doing a b science majoring in food science and nutrition I just swap the immunology subjects with food subjects??? Is that how it works??
yes bascially.

If you do B Science (Food science) then it's like doing microbiology in med science, it is more structured. If you do B Science only, and major in food science, then you pick the food science subjects yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)