Science Fiction stories (1 Viewer)

illmatic

NaS
HSC
Do the markers hate science fiction stories? Are they ok with it?

Im thinking of doing one and im worried the marker will not like it because of it being a sci-fi one.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
If its done well I dont see why the markers would have a problem with it? There was a science fiction-ish type story in the 2003 showcase, I think it was called "Just Before His Head Exploded" and it was pretty awsome

deusexmachina

HSC
There is sci-fi, and then there is sci-fi...well, if we want to be pedantic, SF. If you do a basic science fiction story with little theoretical basis(es) you won't score well. If it simply works within conventions you can't hope for much - however, if you pull something like Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut (a must read for extension 2 SF) or much of Iain M. Banks (i.e. vaguely postmodern) or, perhaps, a cyberpunk-esque story (William Gibson, Bruce Sterling, etc.), the markers should love you, particularly if you 'question the nature' of SF while you're at it.

Yes, Just Before His Head Exploded... is a good one - check it out for ideas.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
by the way i cant find this "Just Beofre His Head Exploded" piece. Could you give me the link to it?

Im really nervous.. i want to do my idea but all these restrictions n shit on what i shouldnt do makes me nervous. fucking hell.

HSC
N/A
Why not write it out - you can't tell whether it's going to be good or not unless there's something substantial to critique or even self-critique :)

It's such a pain in the butt sometimes - should we write what we want, or should we write for the Board of Studies? At the end of the day, it is your decision.

That being said, it is a lot easier and sometimes a lot more powerful to write something you really believe in, something that comes from your heart. There's a whole world of compromising, if that's what you wish to do. But for now, just write...and write...and write... :)

Best wishes!

J

jhakka

illmatic said:
by the way i cant find this "Just Beofre His Head Exploded" piece. Could you give me the link to it?

Im really nervous.. i want to do my idea but all these restrictions n shit on what i shouldnt do makes me nervous. fucking hell.
It's in the Board of Studies 2003 Showcase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)