• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Science Fiction (1 Viewer)

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
Someone is a Battletech aficionado Quiaff?

This can be stretched to include the Mechwarrior computer games, MechAssault and the CMG Mechwarrior: Dark Age/ Age of Destruction.

I just got into the hobby at the start of the year, been buying novels, miniatures and games like crazy. I can't get enough; it's like Sci-Fi crack that shits all over everything else...... Ashaksdfgh!

In fact, any discussion of Sci-Fi would be good, share your thoughts!

I have come to the conclusion that there are three types of Sci-Fi:
1) Technobabble- Star Trek and its cadre. Uses complicated language in place of good dialogue, usually makes no scientific sense either. The worlds are full of beautiful humans and ugly bubble wrap aliens. Battles are all about facing a new threat and creating an elaborate workaround to pacify it.
“Captain, we need to reroute the main phase influx coil or the entire ship could Zebulon accelerate"

2) Western- Star Wars, Serenity, Bebop and anything else with low slung pistol belts. The dialogue is quick, witty and full of character. All the good guys are hot (excluding Hamil) and all the bad guys are ugly. Very enjoyable to watch but lacking any really coherent universe. Battles are more sensible than in Technobabble but involve split second timing and expert piloting.
"It was on sale"

3) Military- Battletech, Starship Troopers (novel) and anything in which training is actually valued. Technology is paramount as is good tactics. Characters are well created but surrounded by faceless 2D unit subordinates. Dialogue usually consists or describing weapons, situations or mentioning cool sounding unit names. Battles are fast paced, exciting and the only superb thing about the genre.
"The Davion Heavy Guards RCT and the 10th and 12th Deneb Light Cavalry are on the surface. We also have the Kell Hounds 2nd Regiment and the 3rd Deiron Regulars holding station at the jump point."

HSC
"their like a nest of pigs"

Technobabble
Like Star Trek I don't mind the cheap construction settings
They are generally better than this digital animation shit
Thats my opinion anyway.

Western
Good'ol Cowboy Bebop
I think George Lucas is a spoilt brat, he can only make average films and that is because he can afford to hire the hollywood actors who are also twats.
In my opinion sci-fi only works in anime.
Like Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop.
They are classics

Military
Ive got nothing against it

I'm not a sci-fi fan, therefore i'm not fat and also my comments are therefore not reliable.
Auf Wiedersehen

"You know what i'm going to do, i'm going to have you spade"

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Wow, did you think of this yourself? It's tre good. You should send it to the genre department of the USyd English faculty: they'd put it to good use.

Personally, I think I'm a militarilist. Even though I like Trek more than Wars it's only 'cause of the battles and romanticism.

Again: wow, this is worthy of structural criticism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)