Science IT means computer Science at UTS? (1 Viewer)

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
Hai!

How come UTS is not offering a "computer Science" degree?or is Bachelor of Science IT , the computer science i'm looking for?

Whats the difference between com science and Science It?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Have a read of UTS' handbook online about:

Bachelor of Science in Information Technology: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10148.html
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Diploma in Information Technology Professional Practice: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10152.html
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10143.html
Bachelor of Science in Games Development: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10229.html

Especially: have a look at the overview and course aims of the abovementioned courses which will give you some information on what you require.

IT Submajors include (You get to choose from here on what you want to do with your course):
SMJ02043 Internetworking 24cp
SMJ02044 Mobile Computing 24cp
SMJ02045 Applications Development 24cp
SMJ02047 IT Management 24cp
SMJ02039 Computer Graphics and Animation 24cp
SMJ02040 Software Engineering 24cp
SMJ08163 Internet Business Technology

Alternatively you can have a look at combined degrees:
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Diploma in Information Technology Professional Practice Bachelor of Laws: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/law/ug/c10141.html
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Diploma in Information Technology Professional Practice Bachelor of Arts in International Studies: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10150.html
Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Computing: http://www.handbook.uts.edu.au/it/ug/c10219.html

These links will give you a basic idea on the Information Technology courses offered at UTS. The website links are great- I know because I read through them before choosing UTS. What you have to do is compare other IT/Computer Science courses in different universities and think which one you would like to do.

Why study at UTS (from: http://www.it.uts.edu.au/about/whyuts/index.html)?
-Unique courses
-Excellent graduates
-Expert staff
-Industry links
-Great place to study
-UTS is not just about study

Last edited:

magic

HSC
Computer science at other unis is called IT at UTS. IT at UTS used to be called computer science many years ago. IT is like the newer style name.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
ok, So this means this that Science in IT is actually the comp science I was talking about.

The reason why I asked was that I could not see any math subjects and I thought that to do comp science you needed maths.

I'll probably do a combined degree with business and computing. Any thoughts regarding this combined degree? Is It good or bad? Beacuse I'm living in Sweden so I don't know exactly how good it is...

magic

HSC
Yeah, im my opinion you wouldn't really need maths, to me thats just a waste of money, and not that useful, I would rather do more other subjects.

The bus/comp is very good in that it is only 4 years compared to other combined degrees which are 5 years. One very good reason.

Other unis call it Commerce, whereas UTS calls it Business. Commerce is the traditional name, but it depends which name you like more. Other unis such as USYD, UNSW or even Macquarie are more famous than UTS for Business, but UTS is famous (in Aus) for its IT.

bus/comp vs BSc IT I would pick bus/comp since it is only one more year and you get two degrees (you dont really need two, but it is nice, and would be proud) and you learn business subjects and not just IT. (And that's what you said you would like - combined degree)

If you go overseas, then the name USYD would be more well known. It depends how important the name of the uni is to you.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Well, personally I find the computing part of B Bus/B Comp quiet dodgy, supported by various people doing that degree!

B Sc IT / Dip IT PP is a lot better because it gives you a choice of working for a year in the industry.

samuraitor

BoS lover
HSC
lil_star said:
Well, personally I find the computing part of B Bus/B Comp quiet dodgy, supported by various people doing that degree!

B Sc IT / Dip IT PP is a lot better because it gives you a choice of working for a year in the industry.
Ok, but is it really true that UTS IT degree is more geared towards business and less tech?

lala2

Banned
HSC
You could PM the admins--I believe all of them except for Lazarus did the B Sc/Dip IT PP

EDIT: Sorry, I meant the original four--Minai was a super-mod beforehand, and I think he's a Commerce graduate.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
samuraitor said:
Ok, but is it really true that UTS IT degree is more geared towards business and less tech?
The IT degree is geared towards you providing solutions to a business, whether they be technical or not technical. The new IT courses allow you to either focus on technical aspects of IT (ie. programming) or non-technical aspects (ie. requirements analysis).

The courses have been revised for 2007 so that you study the same subjects whether you're doing the BScIT, BBus/BComp (to be renamed), BIT, BScIT/LLB or BScIT/BAIntStudies. That way, whatever IT course you're studying at UTS, you will get the same core subjects as well as being able to focus on particular areas of IT which interest you more (without having to waste time doing subjects which don't interest you as much).

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
magic said:
bus/comp vs BSc IT I would pick bus/comp since it is only one more year and you get two degrees (you dont really need two, but it is nice, and would be proud) and you learn business subjects and not just IT. (And that's what you said you would like - combined degree)
Unless you want to do BScIT with the DipIT which which increases your job prospects.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Yeh, DipIT is really good. It is just one extra year, but you learn a lot and perhaps it makes it easier to find a job when you graduate.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
lil_star: your not doing DipIT right now are you?? I noticed the 3rd year on your sig.

what i could have done if i didn't transfer to bus/comp..

magic

HSC
If you want to do a business degree as well, then do the bus/comp.

If you only want to do IT then, I agree with the previous posters, the BSc IT, Dip IT ProPrac is excellent and will increase your chances in getting a job.

It depends whether you want to do business or not.

HSC
jasee said:
The courses have been revised for 2007 so that you study the same subjects whether you're doing the BScIT, BBus/BComp (to be renamed), BIT, BScIT/LLB or BScIT/BAIntStudies. That way, whatever IT course you're studying at UTS, you will get the same core subjects as well as being able to focus on particular areas of IT which interest you more (without having to waste time doing subjects which don't interest you as much).

wtf?!?!?
does that mean BusComp students are going to start replacing there 4 1st yr business courses (accounting,mpo,economics,marketing) with 4 1st yr bscit subjects or that bscit,BIT's are going to start doing business core subjects.
in my opinion thats going to piss people off.

what are they doing to the BusComp course and will 2nd years have their course changed?

magic

HSC
They say that there will be a transition period, so you wont be entirely affected.
And I think Jasee means that Bus/Comp will be given a new name for the new 2007 equivalent course. You will be in the old course.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
wtf?!?!?
does that mean BusComp students are going to start replacing there 4 1st yr business courses (accounting,mpo,economics,marketing) with 4 1st yr bscit subjects or that bscit,BIT's are going to start doing business core subjects.
in my opinion thats going to piss people off.

what are they doing to the BusComp course and will 2nd years have their course changed?
In a subject way of looking at it...

it will probably to make it much easier to understand e.g.

Networking 1 (BScIT) is the same as Networking Fundamentals (BBus/BComp)- you sit in the same lecture room and same labs.. but why are they named different?

It has already started.. BScIT will already phase out "Information, Classification and Control" after this year, and probably replace it with BBus/BComp's "Information Systems Principles".

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Sorry Huratio for the late reply. Actually I chose to do my internship half way through second year so I finished it half way through third year. So basically I did my Spring 2nd year subjects in Spring 3rd year and that includes SDP =).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)