Science @ MQ (1 Viewer)

gracie007

HSC
Hey guys,
is the BSci course/ other science programs good? If you study them, or have friends that study them, what do u think? any downsides? Do they have the same major choice flexibility for 1st year students like USYD has for BSci? Im tossing up whether to do science here, or UTS, or USYD. But ive heard its not as good at MQ? Thanks.

Kegs

HSC
MQ is the bestest. The Science degree is very flexible at MQ. I am enrolled in Advanced Maths and have been able to do such a wide range of subjects, including Stats, Japanese, History and Geography. The beauty of the Science degree is that it is very open to letting you choose what ever you want. It is encouraged that students make a wide selection so as to get a fair idea of what is out there to do.
What are subjects are you interested in? Do you have an idea of what your major could be?

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Yeah Macquarie has field trips and also courses which allow you to travel overseas to study such as the Fiji ecological study.

lengy

HSC
USyd has ducks AND geese AND ibises AND Kookaburras. :D

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
we have rabbits dammit!
and myna birds and magpies and crows :D

lengy

HSC
Kylitus Bulldogus Awesomnus? Yeah, I don't think you can find another creature as freaky to match! :p

gracie007

HSC
Haha okay well sounds awesome for the range of queer animals alone. nice. yeh im considering doing science at macq instead of somewhere in the city because im quite lazy and wouldnt want to travel 1 hr each way to get to uni everyday. :S sounds pretty lame but its true. i have no idea about a major but it wouldnt be anything maths related. maybe chem or something. i would def need to do it somewhere where theres a lot of variety in types of lessons, as well as pracs and excursions coz i get quite bored sitting in the samae sorts of situations alll the time.

Kegs

HSC
gracie007 said:
Haha okay well sounds awesome for the range of queer animals alone. nice. yeh im considering doing science at macq instead of somewhere in the city because im quite lazy and wouldnt want to travel 1 hr each way to get to uni everyday. :S sounds pretty lame but its true. i have no idea about a major but it wouldnt be anything maths related. maybe chem or something. i would def need to do it somewhere where theres a lot of variety in types of lessons, as well as pracs and excursions coz i get quite bored sitting in the samae sorts of situations alll the time.
Travelling is a bitch. Science degrees are like 3 years long and most students dont get away with less than 4 days a week, thats like 8 hours travel to uni per week, with 104 hours of travel per semester, for a 13 week semester, with 624 hours for the whole 3 year degree. This is if you only go to uni 4 days a week, never have to go in on your days off, have good traffic everyday and dont want to do anything extra-curricular. Plus there is the 20% time allowance for bad traffice. So it could be a number as large as 31.2 days. That a month of travel, just sitting on the bus. Of course, all these numbers would need to be done again if you bought a car.
So the long and the short of it is, distance is a very important part of choosing a uni for some people. It is not lazy, it is smart. It is also environmentally responsible to live close to your major destination. (yes Rob, say what you like, I am a hippy!)

And whats wrong with maths anyway! Just coz I dont take it anymore, doesnt mean you shouldnt. Apparently it is fun.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
haha yeah it doesn't sound lazy. distance and flexibility were right up there in making my decision.

if i reeeaaallly wanted to go somewhere else, i would have put up with the travel. but mac had so many other things going for it (the range of subjects that i could choose from being the main one - so far absolutely no regrets. there were a couple of things that i really wanted to do and mac let me do them) that i never seriously considered travelling 2 to 3 hrs per day just for prestige.

X

xeuyrawp

So I was sitting on the grass today with my buddy Kegs, and we saw an ibis take on 205 ducks and win. True story.

The moral to the story is that 1. an ibis can and does take on a couple hundred ducks, and 2. science degrees are long and stressful.

Kegs

HSC
PwarYuex said:
So I was sitting on the grass today with my buddy Kegs, and we saw an ibis take on 205 ducks and win. True story.

The moral to the story is that 1. an ibis can and does take on a couple hundred ducks, and 2. science degrees are long and stressful.
I will vouch for that. I was there and saw it all. 204, yes, but 205... surely not you say. It was the ibis that inspired the legend, and today we were there...

gracie007

HSC
^BAHAHHAHA sounds awesome. i wanna see that. ibises are pretty scary tho i wouldnt want that shit coming near me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)