Science Olympiad (NQE) cut-off? (1 Viewer)

sjh33888

HSC
Yes, I know it varies from year to year, but generally speaking, what is the cut-off for getting a HD?

Would getting 40~50% correct give a pretty good chance of achieivng a HD (Medal)?

jonathan_lam

HSC
Sorry for the late reply.
Like you said, it varies from year to year. It is quite difficult to determine cut offs and stuff because you're never given ranks, percentiles, marks or other details on your performance. The best you know is from your award (distinction, credit, medal etc). I got a medal last year and I probably did 2 questions, so I'd say getting 50% is a good chance of a medal.

sjh33888

HSC
Sorry for the late reply.
Like you said, it varies from year to year. It is quite difficult to determine cut offs and stuff because you're never given ranks, percentiles, marks or other details on your performance. The best you know is from your award (distinction, credit, medal etc). I got a medal last year and I probably did 2 questions, so I'd say getting 50% is a good chance of a medal.
Congrats on your medal last year! Was it a gold?

Physicklad

HSC
hmm, and the calls should be coming out sometime now - it came around this time last year...

Physicklad

HSC
yes and to answer the original question, i think around 70% should land you with a high silver 80% definitely gold, so i expect around 50 or 60% for a bronze

good luck!!

sjh33888

HSC
Has anyone got their calls from the olympiad people yet?

jonathan_lam

HSC
I got a call this morning offering me a place at the summer school. But I had to decline because I'm in year 12.

sjh33888

HSC
I got a call this morning offering me a place at the summer school. But I had to decline because I'm in year 12.
Congrats on making the camp, although you declined the offer. I haven't received a call yet and I don't think I will be getting one. Do you know when we can find out our results?

sjh33888

HSC
And also as for your call, was it physics that you got a call?

How much percentage of questions do you think you answered this year?

sjh33888

HSC
Actually it was EES

5% and it wasn't even a serious attempt. Just writing random answers and leaving half the exam blank. For all those 8 markers, I wrote 3 sentences.
hahaha did you attempt any other olympiad this year? Also, if you are in year 12 this year, how could you do EES? - I thought year 12 are not allowed to do it.

jonathan_lam

HSC
hahaha did you attempt any other olympiad this year? Also, if you are in year 12 this year, how could you do EES? - I thought year 12 are not allowed to do it.
I did all four. Anyone is allowed to participate in the olympiad, but only year 10 and 11 (and I think year 9 if they are old enough) are eligible for the summer school. Also offers have been sent out for quite a while now (since last week).

sjh33888

HSC
I did all four. Anyone is allowed to participate in the olympiad, but only year 10 and 11 (and I think year 9 if they are old enough) are eligible for the summer school. Also offers have been sent out for quite a while now (since last week).
Well my teacher emailed the olympiad guy and he told me that the process of calling takes place at least until the end of next week. So i will just wait patiently and see how it goes

coastpd

HSC
N/A
I know two people who got called for physics and biology about a week ago. I guess probably most of the calls have been made by now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)