Science (Psychology)/Law (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
I looked up this combined degree in the handbook (http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2005/4770.html) and saw a section I didn't quite understand:

(iii) For the majority of majors students are required to complete only 2 law courses in Year 1. For the PSYCHOLOGY major students are required to complete 5. (See separate entry.)
(The separate entry - http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/plans/2005/PSYCA14770.html)

I took this to mean that instead of just Foundations and Torts in first year, I need to do 5 law subjects instead. So does this just mean doing some 2nd year law subjects in first year instead, because there seem to be alot of 2nd year Psychology subjects? So what 2nd year law subjects would be moved to 1st year do you think?

Moreover:

A student can combine courses from 2 or more Science disciplines, or take courses from outside the Science disciplines.

Students in the Science program need to ensure that they complete at least one Major and either a second Major or a Minor sequence. At least 84 units of credit (out of a total of 144) must be taken from Science. The remainder may be in another faculty.
Meaning I can choose another major (other than psychology) in Science? What does a mean by a minor sequence? Are they just random science subjects that won't be credited to my Science degree? (Actually dreading having to do non-psych science subjects because I didn't do any HSC sciences and uni-maths may just kill me. Any science-faculty subjects that aren't too science-y?!)

And supposing that I take the minimum 84 units from Science, does the 60 units I have left enable me to major in something else non-Science, say Philosophy or Finance (84 units I believe, chances of overloading timetable maybe?). Not too hopeful about that though - otherwise it'll be like getting 3 degress in 5 years. :p As you can see this is a question from someone who wants to do a little bit of everything!

Mmmm... these are alot of questions. Fearing no one would reply to this cause it gets too technical. :p If anyone could spare some time to help me out though, it'll be MUCH appreciated!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Lainee said:
So does this just mean doing some 2nd year law subjects in first year instead, because there seem to be alot of 2nd year Psychology subjects? So what 2nd year law subjects would be moved to 1st year do you think?
Yes. In first year Science(Psych)/Law you do:
Session 1:
LAWS1052 Foundations of Law
LAWS1071 Contracts 1
LAWS2140 Public Law
PSYCH1001 Psychology 1A
Level 1 science course
Session 2:
LAWS1061 Torts
LAWS1051 Contracts 2
PSYCH1011 Psychology 1B
Level 1 science course.
If you find that you're starting to ask nit picky questions that don't get answered in the virtual handbook, you need to start looking in the faculty handbooks where every program makes an appearance in gruesome detail.

You can see all handbooks at the UNSW Publications website

The above subjects were taken from the Faculty of Law handbook (on page 21 of the PDF, the Science(Psych)/Law is detailed)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Lainee said:
Meaning I can choose another major (other than psychology) in Science?
Yes.

Lainee said:
What does a mean by a minor sequence?
Just a small package of related courses - but not enough courses to give rise to a major. Minors aren't usually as strictly defined as majors.

Lainee said:
And supposing that I take the minimum 84 units from Science, does the 60 units I have left enable me to major in something else non-Science, say Philosophy or Finance (84 units I believe, chances of overloading timetable maybe?).
Yes. However, keep in mind that most of what you're reading is generic text that was written for pure science students. Once you're in the combined program, you're pretty much limited to a single major (and possibly a minor).

Lainee said:
Are they just random science subjects that won't be credited to my Science degree? (Actually dreading having to do non-psych science subjects because I didn't do any HSC sciences and uni-maths may just kill me. Any science-faculty subjects that aren't too science-y?!)
They'll still be credited to your science degree, and there should be sufficient psychology courses to fulfill those requirements.

In fact, I've just looked at the entry for your program - your psychology courses constitute 60 of your minimum 84 credit points. This means you'll only have 24 credit points left to spend at the Faculty of Science, and 0 credit points to spend elsewhere.

Unless you overload, you just won't be able to fit anything else in. Twenty-four credit points usually means four courses, which isn't enough for a major. But you could probably get away with a minor. You also have the opportunity to take a single science elective worth 6 credit points in your fourth or fifth year - though that doesn't really give you too much.

Nearly all of your degree will be focusing on (perhaps unsurprisingly) psychology and law. :)

Lainee

HSC
sunny said:
If you find that you're starting to ask nit picky questions that don't get answered in the virtual handbook, you need to start looking in the faculty handbooks where every program makes an appearance in gruesome detail.
Thanks for the links! I've never seen those before, but they've cleared up alot of the questions I had about the structure of the program. :)

And thanks Laz for clarifying everything! I think I've got a good idea of what the program looks like now. :) Just another question... I'm considering the four Level 1 Philosophy courses avaliable (24 credit points), but how do I find out whether this qualifies as a minor?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Lainee said:
Just another question... I'm considering the four Level 1 Philosophy courses avaliable (24 credit points), but how do I find out whether this qualifies as a minor?
As far as I'm aware...

Minors don't have strictly defined packages of courses in the way that majors do - if you've taken a few related courses, you can say that you have a minor in that area (e.g. Philosophy). But the actual words "Minor in Philosophy" (or similar) aren't ever printed on your transcript.

In other words, minors don't really mean anything. :)

1000words

HSC
Lazarus said:
As far as I'm aware...

Minors don't have strictly defined packages of courses in the way that majors do - if you've taken a few related courses, you can say that you have a minor in that area (e.g. Philosophy). But the actual words "Minor in Philosophy" (or similar) aren't ever printed on your transcript.

In other words, minors don't really mean anything. :)
I agree :)

Same goes for majors, I think too (at least in my case). I believe I only have the area that I did my honours year in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)