Science Tutoring Centre Tips (1 Viewer)

pqd

HSC
Hey guys,
So I'm about to start teaching science at a small tutoring centre for Yr7-12. I was hoping to get some input from the perspective of the students. I have been studying education at uni so I'm quite comfortable with my teaching ability. I'm just wondering how well this would translate over to a tutoring class as opposed to a school class.

A few questions:

1. Content structure - Do you prefer having a lecture for the lesson which covers a lot of content efficiently, or a 15-20min minilesson which covers one or two concepts and the rest of the lesson is spent reinforcing the concepts through questions, examples etc.

2. Classwork - What kind of work do you want to get done during class? Do you want theory based questions on worksheets which model exam questions, or do you want those more "fun" activities which stick with you and help you remember information better

3. Info presentation - How do you want information provided to you? Powerpoints where you take notes (I feel some kids won't bother, also some people can't really take proper notes), or a booklet with all content provided (some kids will just skim and not read it properly, also having a sheet in front of you distracts from what the teacher is saying)

4. Homework - How much would you prefer if any? I've heard many students complain about the extra stress of tutor homework on top of school work so is it worth it?

All opinions are appreciated! Thanks so much for your time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)