• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Science vs. Religion (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
on a more serious note, i don't think science and religion are incompatible

as einstein said- "religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind...", so true!

through science, i have a greater appreciation of God's hand working in the order of creation.

boris

Banned
HSC
yeah ive often read that some scientists, even those heavily involved with evolution still believe in god

for me it's too much of a contradiction

or moar like a contraindication!

wen11

HSC
Evolution is a mere hypothesis. It has not been proven yet.
i find it hard to believe that human is actually the product of evolution.
much rather believe the creation of the universe by GOD.
prefer religion.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
^ ditto.

from what i've seen, all the big scientists...the more they've progressed, the more they've become aware and believed in the existance of something phenomenal and transcendent. i'd say thats saying something...

boris

Banned
HSC
-pari- said:
^ ditto.

from what i've seen, all the big scientists...the more they've progressed, the more they've become aware and believed in the existance of something phenomenal and transcendent. i'd say thats saying something...
Um, no they haven't.

Guys, stop pulling shit from your arses. All of you. Both sides.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
boris said:
Um, no they haven't.

Guys, stop pulling shit from your arses. All of you. Both sides.
i wont claim to be very studied on it but i'm not "pulling shit from my arse".
i cant say for many of the scientists, but at least of einstein i have read he believed that and i have read some of his work on religion and it seems to point that way... :eek:

but yea..i could be wrong, so take it with a grain of salt and cut some slack.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
there are actually christian scientists. the two can co-exist with no problem.

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
-pari- said:
i wont claim to be very studied on it but i'm not "pulling shit from my arse".
i cant say for many of the scientists, but at least of einstein i have read he believed that and i have read some of his work on religion and it seems to point that way... :eek:
"the word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish."- Albert Einstein.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
^ yes. take one line and pull it out of the context in which it was said in.

thats exactly why there's so much religious tolerance and understanding in our society.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
How is it pulled out of context? In what context would that line not be completely dismissive of religion? If you're going to cite Einstein, he had no respect for traditional religion.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
i never said he did. i never said he believed in organised religion or its definition of god.
but that line suggests he wasnt religious. and he was. he was deeply "religious" or spiritual in his own right - and he himself said that.

but he did not perscribe to the definition of god as proposed by the dominant organised religions of the time.
the idea of some entity seperate from us playing big brother from the heavens - that idea he dismissed as childish.
the idea that there's some sort of Big Person out there we need to please with ritual and worship, and "correct behaviour" or else be condemned to eternal damnation - that idea he dismissed.

but the idea that there was the presence of something...some dimension...beyond human existance... that idea was his basis of spirituality...

I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth....
In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views...
I do not believe in a personal god and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it...
A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty, which are only accessible to our reason in their most elementary forms—it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man...
talk about overkill. :p

wen11

HSC
Scientists have tried to prove the non-existencce of God. But none succeeds.
There are many evidences proving the existence God, the One who is in control over everything. the creator.

Heyu8myrice

HSC
there has got to be a God out there... how can this have all been created by chance?

Just.Snaz

HSC
Heyu8myrice said:
there has got to be a God out there... how can this have all been created by chance?
By chance? *sighs* so not getting into this..

I believe in God + Science though :)

Except the big bang, wtf was that? (<-- lol no one reply to that, I'm not bothered arguing/giving reason for my point of view)

3unitz

HSC
N/A
i like the cartoon. way to attract the fundies :D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
bigboyjames said:
Hahahahah! Classic.

inasero said:
on a more serious note, i don't think science and religion are incompatible

as einstein said- "religion without science is lame; science without religion is blind...", so true!

through science, i have a greater appreciation of God's hand working in the order of creation.
You mean kind of like how Einstein said:

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal god and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)