sciences/maths::box or underline or just leave for the marker to find your answer?? (1 Viewer)

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
In chem, phys, .........etc, especially maths, how do u show ur answer?........box it? underline? or leave it?...........but leaving it will b hard 4 markers to find esp. if u have messy writing.
I was told dont put marks or signs on ur work cos markers might think ure cheating........and my maths teacher said underline answers in RED pen........but if u do: isn't red pen for marking n e way???............

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
In the maths exam-I highlighted all my answers, cos my working out can sometimes get messy, and I didn't want the marker to not be able to find my final answer. My maths teacher had told us that many people do this, and he said that he didn't think it was that good an idea because it can waste time, but if you do it-it's fine.
But if you write out your working neatly, they marker should be able to find your answer anyway. You probably could circle or underline your anwer if you wanted...as long as you are consistent all through the exam so the marker doesn't get confused, and the method you use to mark the answer will not get mistaken for something else.

kini mini

HSC
In maths, if your answer isn't clear without underlining there's definitely a problem with your setting out and/or handwriting. I worked to improve my setting out all year and in the end I didn't bother underlining except in multistage questions, where you need to use the answer from a) for b). Even that was more for my own benefit than for the marker's.

In science underlining the critical points in your answer is a good way of sorting the concepts from the supporting evidence, I recommend it in that case :).

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar

perhaps underline or use arrows to point to your answer-don't use red pen.Exams strictly say blue/black pens

oh man :eek:
i was using a red pen for my maths exam,
to write formulas that i was going to use in the question

is THAT okay?
so i know what im doing/using?

i guess it says blue/black pens ONLY
so ... OH GOD i hope i'm not penalised :mad:

:chainsaw:
i had (for example)

Q1. <formula> IN RED

then working in blue

it was a 'guide' to my working

damn ... i should know better! :mad1:

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
i usually put a # next to my answers... but when its an ugly question and my working is all yucky, with crosses everywhere and stuff, i underline my answer.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
i usually put a # next to my answers... but when its an ugly question and my working is all yucky, with crosses everywhere and stuff, i underline my answer.
You must be using Coroneos' textbook :p
I used to do that too, but it became laborious.

Then I went onto the 'boxing' stage.
Now I'm being a jackass, underlining things, boxing things I'm not supposed to be boxing to the point where I'm using red pens to write formulae before I attempt the question.

I must change my ways :rolleyes:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Huy

oh man :eek:
i was using a red pen for my maths exam,
to write formulas that i was going to use in the question

is THAT okay?
so i know what im doing/using?

:chainsaw:
i had (for example)

Q1. <formula> IN RED

then working in blue

it was a 'guide' to my working

damn ... i should know better! :mad1:
If you did that in a school exam, they'd probably just tell you no to do it again, and not take marks off. (or maybe take off just 1 or 2 marks)
If you did it in the HSC..I doubt they'd refuse to mark it or anything extreme like that, but they probably would penalise you somehow...
The lesson is to ALWAYS read the exam directions thoroughly. You'd be amazed how many stories I heard from people in my year who just rushed in without reading what they are meant to be doing made huge mistakes like answer sections that aren't meant for them-or worse-leave or sections that they were meant to do.

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'm going to leave all my red pens at home now :(

I really should know better, but it was just 'one of those things' that I do, being thorough.

I'll definately remember to use blue, and only blue, for my next exams :)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by Huy

You must be using Coroneos' textbook :p
I used to do that too, but it became laborious.

yeah i'm using that horrible book.. i hate it! LOL for the simple fact that it looks ugly.. and colourless..

yeah as for that red pen thing, dude, dont u read the intructions at the front of each exam? it normally goes blue or black pen only ..hmm.. maybe they dont do that for your skool!

LOL :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ

yeah i'm using that horrible book.. i hate it! LOL for the simple fact that it looks ugly.. and colourless..

yeah as for that red pen thing, dude, dont u read the intructions at the front of each exam? it normally goes blue or black pen only ..hmm.. maybe they dont do that for your skool!

LOL :D
I like Coroneos, except for the 2U (red book), it takes up too much room! And I've got a big bag too! The 3U (orange) one is nice and slim (indicative of the topics included)

Haha, I can read just fine thank you very much :p
I don't know what I was thinking,
I must have been feeling *extra* confident.

Hehe thanks for the correction, I'm aware of the blue/black (it was in a previous post), I've never owned a black pen in my entire life (believe it!) and I choose not to write in black, period!

Originally posted by Huy
I'm just a blue person, so that's all I'll ever use
-- My pencil case contains 10 blue, pilot, fine pens
I don't use medium pens either, it ruins my handwriting
-- indentations are too deep, widths are too wide, I guess I'm a 'fine' person (mmm puns), who likes blue writing

LOL :)

Last edited:

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by Huy

I like Coroneos, except for the 2U (red book), it takes up too much room! And I've got a big bag too! The 3U (orange) one is nice and slim (indicative of the topics included)

yeah its a great text book, no doubt. but its big, fat and ugly! LOL yea its not heavy coz it uses cheap, newspaper paper!

well yeah, well i'm a blue pen person. fine or medium i dont care LOL. yeah i'm not as picky as you, as long as its blue i'm kool. red pen for important notes and black pen with red underline for titles...

hmmz... we're getting off the topic... LOL

yeah well, i think i should indicate your answer some how... just to let the marker know thats where ur working ends.

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
I go to sleep working through the Coroneos books. They cramp together and *zzzzzzzzzz

I had my maths exam on wednesday...................lol......i didnt box or underline n e thing this time.............my writing got bigger and bigger....................i ended up writing in 2 WHOLE booklets.......
each booklet had like 20 pages (i think)....OR less
I think i underlined a fraction...........so it seemed it had 2 division bars :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)