Screen goes blank while working on things - Sony Vaio (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys got a question for all those with some knowledge about hardware.

When I am working on my Sony Vaio (VGN-FJ78GP) all of a sudden the screen goes black, white or blue and the only way I can get the display back I need to restart the laptop manually. I am not sure if this is a monitor problem or something and am wondering whether its worth taking to the Sony service centre or its something I can fix? Its almost two years old and its outside the waranty? Would it be better just to get a new laptop. I hope its nothing wrong because I have been pretty happy with the laptop otherwise.

Last edited:

melonkitten

HSC
That is a hardware problem often experienced with that particular model after warranty (I assume warranty is over).

It is MUCH, MUCH cheaper to buy a new laptop. I had the same problem and tried to get it fixed, but it would have costs almost $800

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Mine might just make it in, but I am worried if it doesn't do it when they get it then they might not think anything is wrong. Its happened twice in the past week and once or twice before that.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
It's your motherboard, had the exact same problem on my laptop, thank goodness I still had warranty.

To make sure: When you boot up, is your screen still blank?

It's best to actually get a new laptop, repairing it cost a lot.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
chicky_pie said:
It's your motherboard, had the exact same problem on my laptop, thank goodness I still had warranty.

To make sure: When you boot up, is your screen still blank?

It's best to actually get a new laptop, repairing it cost a lot.
Its not blank when I reboot, it goes back to normal until it happens again.
Might get the local computer shop to look at it after I finish my essay thats due to find the exact prob but most likely if its anything big like a motherboard I'll get a new one

melonkitten

HSC
you are procrastinating!

your warrant will run outbefore u know it.

GO GO GO

jjo

I'm go murderlise dog!
HSC
Ive had a similar problem with my sony vaio laptop once that i know of. Is it getting enough air? Do you suffocate the air intakes by using it on the bed or rug e.t.c. I used a diagnostic program called everest and after rebooting found that the temps were in the low 70's which is the max operating temperature for most cpu's. Just remember a cool pc is a happy pc.

Download everest from lavalys website.

if that doesnt work ur screwed..........................;)

networkmaster

HSC
Heat would be one issue

Could be a loose connector that when it moves bumps a pin out of contact

or as said, the LCD panel is dead.

If you close the lid and the computer is running, LCD panel could have heated up too much and damaged it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)