Screw HSC markers (1 Viewer)

forkyspoony18

HSC
Alot of my teachers at school are HSC markers, and they have told us that they dont 'skim read' for keywords, they actually read your whole response, no matter how small, and try and give you as many marks as possible. The only time they said they would ever take marks away/penalise you was if contradict yourself in the question. They have also told me that the questions all get marked twice by two seperate markers, who have no idea what mark the other marker gave the question, and then these two marks are compared, and if there is no large difference, you get the higher mark. But if there is a larger difference, the question gets taken to the senior marker and carefully checked. Ive been told this by science, hist and eng teachers.

And as for maths, my maths teacher told me that before they sit down to mark the papers, all the markers get together and work out every possible answer (wrong or right) that a student might get on a question due to incorrect/correct interpretations of the question or just a slight stuff up in working out. This then ensures that you will hopefully get some marks for your working even if you get the wrong answer because the marker can understand where you got your answer from.

Teachers work hard, i have alot of respect for them and I trust their marking abilities and the marking system. It just sounds like you are paranoid and annoyed with your own marks at the momment.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
The person above speaks truth.

Teachers are truly under-appreciated for the work they do.

cs01001

HSC
forkyspoony18 said:
Alot of my teachers at school are HSC markers, and they have told us that they dont 'skim read' for keywords, they actually read your whole response, no matter how small, and try and give you as many marks as possible. The only time they said they would ever take marks away/penalise you was if contradict yourself in the question. They have also told me that the questions all get marked twice by two seperate markers, who have no idea what mark the other marker gave the question, and then these two marks are compared, and if there is no large difference, you get the higher mark. But if there is a larger difference, the question gets taken to the senior marker and carefully checked. Ive been told this by science, hist and eng teachers.

And as for maths, my maths teacher told me that before they sit down to mark the papers, all the markers get together and work out every possible answer (wrong or right) that a student might get on a question due to incorrect/correct interpretations of the question or just a slight stuff up in working out. This then ensures that you will hopefully get some marks for your working even if you get the wrong answer because the marker can understand where you got your answer from.

Teachers work hard, i have alot of respect for them and I trust their marking abilities and the marking system. It just sounds like you are paranoid and annoyed with your own marks at the momment.
Almost correct, but they actually take the average of the two.

forkyspoony18

HSC
cs01001 said:
Almost correct, but they actually take the average of the two.
lol thanks for clearing that up, i always thought it was strange that they took the higher mark haha.

X

xeuyrawp

minijumbuk said:
Imagine a marker with 200 papers or so to be marked.

By the time they're finished with the 3rd or so, they'd already be extremely bored.

Now, we all know that papers only get seen once. Often in extended responses in subjects such as science, there may be a few questions that they just glimpse over, and end up missing a few points. That will take away your precious marks.

Whose fault is it? No-one?

WRONG!

It's entirely the fault of the HSC markers. Yes, I understand that they had been really stressed and tired. But wait, think about other professions, such as a doctor for example. They sit in their office all day, they hear the same complaints from their patients, but do they recklessly diagnose you with leukaemia or AIDS? Of course not! It's because it's their responsiblity as a doctor.

Markers, it's your career! Your job! Your responsiblity! Who the hell cares if you've been sitting there all night? It's your job, and you're paid to do it.

As for the pay...Hm? Pay is low? Well guess what I'm gonna say.
YOU KNEW DAMN WELL HOW WELL THE PAY IS BEFORE YOU BECAME A TEACHER.
What would the world become if all the hygiene-keeping workers of the world decided they wanted to have a strike?

Now instead of having industrial actions and wasting the precious time of HSC students, or screwing up students' exams because they felt sleepy, how about you GET A GRASP OF REALITY, and ACCEPT that you CHOSE your path as a teacher, and do your jobs PROPERLY?
You're a fucking idiot.

You make an incorrect assumption based on your own stupid logic.

Then you blame this incorrect assumption on the fact that teachers don't do a good job.

Then you blame the incorrect assumption on the fact that teachers don't do a good job on another assumption that teachers don't want to be there and are underpaid.

Then you shoot yourself in the foot by ignoring your second assumption: If teacher have bad conditions, you say, it's their own fault for choosing the profession. Thus you're encouraging intelligent people not to do teaching.

But this is all mooted by the fact that this thread is fucking pointless - a marker's not going to come on here, read your fucking pathetic thread and say to themselves 'OH, that little kid who can't write properly, makes a bunch of bad assumptions, and is generally a twat has convinced me that I've got a bad work ethic! When I go into work tomorrow, I'll be a better person!!!! :D:D:D'

Hence, you're a fucking idiot. :)

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
forkyspoony18 said:
It just sounds like you are paranoid and annoyed with your own marks at the momment.
I'm not annoyed at my marks, I'm actually quite satisfied (besides English).
I'm annoyed at how our science department do things.

PwarYuex said:
*A bunch of insults*
It's not my fault that my teachers always do things wrong an tell us what HSC markers do. If you actually read my other posts before throwing insults, you'd have seen that my teachers fed me false information, and that false information obviously triggered my anger.

And also, this thread might seem useless to you, but it vents off my steam. Do you only speak when you have to prove a point? Are you silent any time else? Are you saying that you never complain about anything, any politics or what not? Why does everybody else say stuff like "George Bush is an idiot" then? Will that make George Bush go "omg he called me an idiot *resigns*"?

X

xeuyrawp

minijumbuk said:
It's not my fault that my teachers always do things wrong an tell us what HSC markers do. If you actually read my other posts before throwing insults, you'd have seen that my teachers fed me false information, and that false information obviously triggered my anger.
Then why are you still having a go at HSC markers by not admitting you were wrong?

And also, this thread might seem useless to you, but it vents off my steam. Do you only speak when you have to prove a point? Are you silent any time else? Are you saying that you never complain about anything, any politics or what not? Why does everybody else say stuff like "George Bush is an idiot" then? Will that make George Bush go "omg he called me an idiot *resigns*"?
Are you comparing avid political discussion with your pointless, incorrect thread?

If you actually read my post, you'd see that you're pretty much entirely wrong on all accounts. :)

Maybe you should stop blaming other people (your teachers, HSC markers, people on the forum) and start thinking about yourself, k? The HSC marking system is pretty well known - even the most basic search on this website would have showed you how it's generally done.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
minijumbuk said:
I'm not annoyed at my marks, I'm actually quite satisfied (besides English).
I'm annoyed at how our science department do things.

So, because of the Science department at your school, you assume the whole HSC marking centre is the same? And you just take everything your teachers say for truth and don't bother back it up before going on an incoherent rant?

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Then why are you still having a go at HSC markers by not admitting you were wrong?
Alright then, if it satisfies you, then I'll replace "HSC" with "school", ok? I didn't know that my teacher was telling me false info, and now that I do, I acknowledge that I was wrong. Here's my official announcement declaring I was wrong, just for you.

Are you comparing avid political discussion with your pointless, incorrect thread?
I was merely showing an example of what you think was right based on what you posted: Never talking about anything unless it proved a point.

If you actually read my post, you'd see that you're pretty much entirely wrong on all accounts. :)
Of course I read your post. And I don't see how I'm pretty much entirely wrong on all accounts. :) Can you please elaborate how I'm pretty much wrong on all accounts? And what am I wrong about?

black_kat_meow said:
So, because of the Science department at your school, you assume the whole HSC marking centre is the same? And you just take everything your teachers say for truth and don't bother back it up before going on an incoherent rant?
Yes, I did. I shouldn't have, but I did. Now if they'd let me change the thread title, I'd like to change "HSC" to "School teachers".

stillwaters

HSC
ok, firstly, i agree that the hsc markers have a responsibility to make sure they mark each paper fairly etc. so you get the marks you deserve...

but hsc markers = humans... and they have to mark in a shitty tin hovel thing near homebush for four hours or more straight after teaching for six hours at school.

theyre not vindictive ppl who are trying to take out any pain or anguish on students (most of us having pretty crappy, almost illegible writing i.e. me... :uhhuh: ). they want to award marks, not take em away.

and they do double marking... like what other ppl have said above. if theres discrepancies then the senior marker gets a third marker, who doesnt see the two other marks, to mark it, and then a decision is made about that mark. also they constantly hold up exemplar responses from the batch and pass it around so they know what a band 6, what a band 5, etc. etc. response is.

for all subjects (im assuming) -
i just read more posts and basically im just repeating stuff >< so ill stop now...
ah maybe i should go study some ancient now...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
You do realise that if it's your school teachers being shit markers, they'd be definition "mark" evyerones exams shit as well, so there isn't that much of a difference.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I've seen stubborn teachers who just will try to take off every mark they can.
Last year, for example, they took a mark off my brother for writing "break the double bond" instead of "help to open the double bond". Even the TEXTBOOK said it's meant to be "break the double bond". Guess what they said?
"Textbooks aren't always right".

Hmm, makes me wonder how much more accurate their handwritten marking criteria is.
And what I was trying to get at in my first post, was...What if one of the HSC markers was like that teacher at my school?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
IMO you're just being a shit now, your whinging has no solid basis or evidence.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
My english teacher told us that when there is a difference in the marks they take the highest one.
Yeah. Mine said that too.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
No, I was being a shit before, when I accused HSC markers of being similar to my school teachers. If you browse through this thread, the only time I've done that is in my first post. I have since then found out that only teachers at my school are so shit at marking.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Well the HSC is a learning curve. Understand the picky mistakes/errors that the marker has noted, and learn from it next time for your assessments/trials.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
lol yea that's what I'm trying to do, but my teacher doesn't even tell me what my mistake was.

"Poor explanation" doesn't help much...Didn't even give me an example of how I should've written it =\

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Did you try to ask him/her about it? Approach your teacher and go through the exam with you. There's no use in complaining about teachers and their marking schemes, because ultimately, as well as it might feel good to release steam, its not going to get you anywhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)