Screwed Up My First Asssessment Already! Please Help! (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Hi Everyone!
Long time no talk!
Basically, I have been crying for a few days, because I have just failed my first assessment for Chemistry ...

I had my heart set out to get ranked number 1 (considering I want a 97 ATAR), and I honestly just failed!
My ATAR and HSC is all gone! I will never get that ATAR anymore!

Someone please help me figure out how I can get ranked number one, so I can still acheive going in to Med :(
Can I still be ranked number one in my cohort, or is that not possible anymore?

Please help! I have been so upset lately!

Alkanes

HSC
1 assessment won't do that much harm.
You still have half yearlies, trials and other assessment tasks to complete.

thisiswar

HSC
First of all calm down. What percentage of your assessments was that test worth? Was it a practical? (if it was I'm guessing around 30%) But if you found it hard then everyone else would have too. I know we all have high expectations on ourselves, but look at it this way. It's only the first assessment task. You have 3 or 4 more to go depending on your school. My suggestion is to know how much each of the upcoming tasks are worth and study your hardest (especially for tasks that are worth a lot. I'm guessing the trial will be worth the most so if you do really well there you can definitely regain that no. 1 title).

I'll give you my example. In my first assessment task of yr 12 at the end of last year, I was ranked 25/70 which to me was a really crap mark since I was ranked 2nd at the end of yr 11. But then I just tried my very best for all the rest of my assessments and my final rank was 2/70 (2nd again I know...but at least I didnt drop...). I know it's really frustrating when you know you could have done better but just try and equal or beat your yr 11 final rank and you'll be satisfied. If you were ranked first then just try your very best in the rest of your exams and you sure will end up being first since you've proven to yourself you can get up there :D

Good luck!

K

khorne

Hi Everyone!
Long time no talk!
Basically, I have been crying for a few days, because I have just failed my first assessment for Chemistry ...

I had my heart set out to get ranked number 1 (considering I want a 97 ATAR), and I honestly just failed!

Someone please help me figure out how I can get ranked number one, so I can still acheive going in to Med :(

you'd want a lot more than 97 for med, just saying. Median Atar for UNSW is 99.6, but w/e.

Bobbo1

HSC
First of all calm down. What percentage of your assessments was that test worth? Was it a practical? (if it was I'm guessing around 30%) But if you found it hard then everyone else would have too. I know we all have high expectations on ourselves, but look at it this way. It's only the first assessment task. You have 3 or 4 more to go depending on your school. My suggestion is to know how much each of the upcoming tasks are worth and study your hardest (especially for tasks that are worth a lot. I'm guessing the trial will be worth the most so if you do really well there you can definitely regain that no. 1 title).

I'll give you my example. In my first assessment task of yr 12 at the end of last year, I was ranked 25/70 which to me was a really crap mark since I was ranked 2nd at the end of yr 11. But then I just tried my very best for all the rest of my assessments and my final rank was 2/70 (2nd again I know...but at least I didnt drop...). I know it's really frustrating when you know you could have done better but just try and equal or beat your yr 11 final rank and you'll be satisfied. If you were ranked first then just try your very best in the rest of your exams and you sure will end up being first since you've proven to yourself you can get up there :D

Good luck!
Exactly right!, the assessment task is a small part of your school mark for that subject, and your school is mark only 50% of the subject, and that subject is only 1/5 of your HSC. If you actually calculate this is only around 2.5% of you ATAR for 25% task - even if you got around 20% lower than usual, by the time it gets rounded it will be insignificant!! Do not worry, and keep going! :)

N.B: yes I know the aligning, scaling and all that - just for example's sake...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's early days yet-there's hope to climb your way to the top in future assessments.

I understand you being upset, I'd be guttered too, but the damage can be minimalized if it's a small weighting task. Also, perhaps the highest mark was not much distance from yours? Also if you do more than ten units, this may not really impact it in the end.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Look at it this way, I was 17th after half-yearly last year - by the yearlies, I regained to 2nd. Anything can happen in the early days.

enoilgam

HSC
Hi Everyone!
Long time no talk!

Its way to early to be worried, you have a long way to go. Things can change heaps from now until the end of the HSC. Dont forget, your trials and final exams count for approximately 70% of your marks (trials on average are 40% and the final exams are 50%).

Isho

Banned
HSC
N/A
I think it's the first 10 or 15% assessment from chem. The battery cells one.

OP, still a long way to go till hsc! If you put the effort in, you can climb back to the top easily :). Don't lose hope!

Good luck!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^At my school, some of many of my term 4 assessments are 20-25% weighting :( With 3 random 5% ones but most worth more than that.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Sigh. It always happens! ):

But get over being all whiny and depressed now, because it's only pushing back your studies ever further. Stop thinking about it and just do it.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Resiliency is the human capacity to bounce back from bad experiences, or thrive in spite of hard times and difficulties.

"If your mind can accept that something is achievable, it will find a way to attain that thing."

"The amount of effort it takes to fail is the same amount of effort it takes to succeed as far as the mind is concerned. It is your responsibility to provide it with the right seeds of thought."

"You need to start planting apple seeds to grow apple trees. Make sure you plant it as early as possible so it will take time to nourish."

WITHOUT STRUGGLE there is no progress.

Famous lines by famous people.

"Now, young warlock. Do not let this dishearten you. If you do let it dishearten you for a week, a week will become two. Then it will dishearten you the third week and so forth. Hence it will dishearten for weeks for all positive integers of You must learn to be resilient and fly." - SpiralFlex

Also I believe it's the human convention to "hug" somebody in a time of emotional discomfort. Here,

*Half hugs*

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That quote was so inspirational, I wanted to rep you but I can't!

I'm going to go do some mathematics study now-love you robot Spi!

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
"Now, young warlock. Do not let this dishearten you. If you do let it dishearten you for a week, a week will become two. Then it will dishearten you the third week and so forth. Hence it will dishearten for weeks for all positive integers of You must learn to be resilient and fly." - SpiralFlex
The first three words reminded me of Merlin (TV series) when I watched it - then I saw the n=k+1.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
you'd want a lot more than 97 for med, just saying. Median Atar for UNSW is 99.6, but w/e.
No necessarily - ATAR is not the only requirement for Med. You need a relatively high ATAR, good UMAT and good interview. I've heard of people achieving only 96 ATAR and enter into Med since their UMAT mark was extremely high >90.

enoilgam

HSC
No necessarily - ATAR is not the only requirement for Med. You need a relatively high ATAR, good UMAT and good interview. I've heard of people achieving only 96 ATAR and enter into Med since their UMAT mark was extremely high >90.
True, but I think what Khorne is trying to say is that your unlikely to get in with a score of 97 (your probably unlikely to get in with a score less then 99).

Alkanes

HSC
Good shot at interstate uni's but i don't think 97 is good enough here unless you're rural or something.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
True, but I think what Khorne is trying to say is that your unlikely to get in with a score of 97 (your probably unlikely to get in with a score less then 99).
Yeah, I know but Khorne pretty much diminished the hopes of the OP when there was obviously still hope.

MzG1zi

HSC
this reminds me of exactly how i felt after my first math assessment. i let it 'dishearten' me through the entire 1.5 months of holidays which made me feel even more crap about myself to an extent where i was so stressed out i couldnt study for math in the half yearlies. when the trials came i didnt care about what i got but i just studied coz i enjoyed the subject, and ended up with a nifty 96... point being last week i calculated that if i had gotten that 96 in every other assessment that followed the one i failed, i would have still gotten a band 6 assessment mark. but at the time i was too stressed to realise this. Dont make the same mistake. Any mark you get will be better than what you will get when your panicking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)