script for ip (1 Viewer)

albinator

HSC
i'm doing script for my ip and i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to make it good. i'm doing a comedy with 3 or 4 characters. we just read waiting for godot at the end of term and i feel that i'm being greatly influenced by that.. i also saw my friends in a play called picasso at the lapin agile (go see it if u get the chance) and i've been influenced by that too.. so yeh any sugestions just so i can read up on different playwrights and get some more inspiration :p

Last edited:

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
If you liked Waiting for Godot, read some works by Pinter. If you can get hold of 'The Birthday Party' (or my fav) 'Betrayal' that'd be good. STC is putting on 'Old Times' in the middle of the year (from the 23rd of April) so that would be cool to see some Pinter in action.
Read some contemporary Australian stuff too, Louis Nowra, Debra Oswald, Williamson, Hannie Rayson (Life After George) and Nick Enright.

Have fun.

steffo

steph
HSC
read Stoppard. most inspirational theatre of the absurd i've ever read.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I don't really think Stoppard writes in the absurdism style...while his plays contain some 'absurd' (in the original context of the word) elements, his plays certainly aren't absurdism...but I'm sure there are plenty of people who think the opposite.

For scriptwriting, I'm finding that the best way to go is to just work at it and forget inspiration and research. I just sat down and brainstormed and got my story completely worked out. I just have to write the actual script now. IMO, the best inspiration is yourself...and the best way to avoid cliche is to avoid being inspired by other playwrights. My play is heavily influenced by Stoppard...so I had to totally twist it around to get rid of the several obvious parallels to The Real Inspector Hound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)