Scully quits (1 Viewer)

HSC
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20644325-2,00.html

Embattled police minister quits

October 25, 2006 07:18pm
Article from: AAP

NEW South Wales Police Minister Carl Scully has resigned his portfolio after admitting he was wrong to deny he had rung a newsroom about the Cronulla riot report.
Sources have confirmed Mr Scully resigned as police minister tonight but he is yet to make any public statement.
Mr Scully had been under pressure to go since claiming last week that a report by former assistant police commissioner Norm Hazzard into the riot last December was not completed.
The Government was later forced to release the report but Mr Scully said it was only a working draft.
In Parliament today, Mr Scully rejected a claim by Nationals leader Andrew Stoner that he rang the ABC last Monday and said a Nine Network report was wrong to claim he was sitting on the report.
But the ABC later issued a statement insisting Mr Scully had rung the ABC newsroom last Monday night about the Nine Network story.
In a statement to Parliament late this afternoon, Mr Scully said he did not recall the conversation with the ABC but accepted it had occurred.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Well I guess we all were aware that it was coming..

As a minister he has a disastrous record, that culminated in the Cross City Tunnel..

I do however believe that this will work in the favour of the ALP, as it removes a election target, however it does convey that the government concedes that it has acted ineptly..

HSC
I was surprised that he caved in. I couldn't see what he did wrong. All this does is lets Peter Debnam to say "well this is just more evidence of .. blah blah.. inept.. blah blah" in that anoying try hard tone of his.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Captain*Obvious said:
I was surprised that he caved in. I couldn't see what he did wrong. All this does is lets Peter Debnam to say "well this is just more evidence of .. blah blah.. inept.. blah blah" in that anoying try hard tone of his.
If it were a public servant, police officer etc, who acted in such a manner, it would be considered 'corruption'..

Half priced McDonalds is tagged as being part of the 'slippery slope' to corruption, yet parliamentary/ministerial dishonesty (or whatever you like to call it) does not require adherence to the notion of ministerial responsbility..explain that..

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
Peter Debnam's comments about Scully's resignation i believe is unnecessary and uncalled for... to make abrupt comments in the way he has just makes me disrespect him even more... if he wants to comment on his resignation do it with formality and respect not with discontent and self-fishness... ever since he's rude remarks about the Cronulla Riots on the 60 minutes special.. i have developed this fond disliking in Debnam and his approach as not only a so called "role model" but as a member of parliament...

sorry if what i say is bad... but i have the right for expression and the right to talk... so i believe in this case Debnam is the villain... using this as a "motto" for the libs is such a low in his political career and i just want this to be known to all...

I Don't like Peter Debnam at all... i wish he were here to see this because us students, BoS'ers are todays youth and tomoro's future of Australia... and if a politician is going to make remarks in a menacing manner... maybe he should be the one takin a deep look into the mirror.... wanker

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Debnam was spot on, Scully was an ineffective waste of taxpayer money, he went after the drunken white yobbos at Cronulla but barely touched the real scumbags (muslims and lebs) who came out, and randomly stabbed the hell out of people the next few nights. We need a police and a parliament who aren't PC, but who can do their job, and neither Scully nor Iemma can provide.

bshoc said:
Debnam was spot on, Scully was an ineffective waste of taxpayer money, he went after the drunken white yobbos at Cronulla but barely touched the real scumbags (muslims and lebs) who came out, and randomly stabbed the hell out of people the next few nights.
thats not his main fault, remember people in broad daylight on camera fighting with police are alot easier to catch than people who attack randomly at midnight.

He mishandled the entire situation.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Not too long ago, it would be a minimum requirement for aany minister to fall on their sword after a stuff up.
Clearly NSW is behind. Howard government practice is to fire some bureaucrats.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Debnam may whine, and be rather annoying to some people, however in this situation he has proved that he can undertake one of the roles of the opposition; to hold government and ministers to account..

What he then needs to do is provide a VIABLE ALTERNATIVE, and not develop policy on the run..

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
i agree with bshoc and frog

scully screwed up twice in a week, and deserves to get fired. try and do that in your work place and you'll get fired too, let alone he's the police minister.

on a different note, i think the fact that the police spent half a million dollars of taxpayers money on food during the riot is ridiculously. if they were all shouted 10 bucks of maccas or kfc, surely that'll be enough, or it just goes to say we have too many unfit, fat bastards in our police force - fire them too!

HSC
Yes, all people make mistakes, we're all human.

p.s I think Debnam is an annoying whingeface :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)