SD mem card faults (1 Viewer)

deano059

HSC
hey guys
ive been taking some pics for a hsc assessment of mine and i take the pics and the flash etc goes off as it would with taking any digital pic but when uploading many r missing and cannot be found on the camera/card at all

would this be a fault with the camera or could the fault lie with the sd mem card causing data to corrupt etc

thanks

Luke_D

HSC
deano059 said:
hey guys
ive been taking some pics for a hsc assessment of mine and i take the pics and the flash etc goes off as it would with taking any digital pic but when uploading many r missing and cannot be found on the camera/card at all

would this be a fault with the camera or could the fault lie with the sd mem card causing data to corrupt etc

thanks
SD cards can have problems. What brand is it?

Try formating the memory (wipes the memory, which sucks since you've already taken pics). Some cards require you to do it before they work properly.

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I had a similar problem to you just a week ago...

Could be either -- the camera or the card, that is. If you've got another card, give it a shot (so to speak) and see if you've got more problems. If not, it's just your card, which is nice in the long term becuase SD cards are remarkably cheap now... Cameras are getting quite cheap, too, on that note.

Getting your photos off: try it on another computer -- if you've got an SD card reader, try that. DON'T FORMAT THE CARD YET. Try taking it to a photo shop and see if they can do anything for you.

Can the camera still find them? Like, when you put the SD card in the camera, are they all there? Can you zoom up on them, and do any effects your camera might be able to do to them (ie resize/crop, if your camera has them)? If not, those are signs the image is corrupt, and I'd be looking at taking new photos. If so,...well... try and find a card reader. Go to Dick Smith, they've got one for about $40 from memory, and you can always return it within 14 days, no questions asked, with packaging...

Try the camera store deal if all else fails: they probably don't have special equipment just for faulty SD cards, but they have professional printing/card-reading stuff, which might be able to cope with errors better than your hardware.

Good luck!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're sure the photos took.. maybe the card is corrupted or having problems in which case a format would probably save them.

Some places in USA can recover data from SD cards- maybe places like that exist in Aus?

If you can retake the photos I'd suggest formatting and trying that.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
I've had 4 card readers corrupt pictures as they download from card and the card was perfectly fine, so if you use a card reader try just through camera.

Some cameras also have timeout issues with transferring and some (like crap HPs I run into) simply don't play nice without their software and drivers being installed. Some computers also have issues with XP and USB ports.

Try previewing pics on camera, do the pics look full/ok? zoom in on them, if they look good on camera it's not the card but the way you are transferring them.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Try previewing pics on camera, do the pics look full/ok? zoom in on them, if they look good on camera it's not the card but the way you are transferring them.
Tsk. You should read the prior posts. That's what I said.

... but not nearly as clearly!

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
Tsk. You should read the prior posts. That's what I said.

... but not nearly as clearly!
I should do a lot of things :)
While I restated the check pics on cameras I don't think anyone else mentioned about faulty card readers or camera->comp USB/timeout issues. Most of the times I find that it's not the card but one of the other problems I mentioned.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
I should do a lot of things :)
While I restated the check pics on cameras I don't think anyone else mentioned about faulty card readers or camera->comp USB/timeout issues.
Very true. Well done. You should work at Dick Smith with me -- you know how to make it easy. Or HAVE 'know how' to make it easy, depending on what side of the bad grammatical pun you want to err on.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Skittled said:
Very true. Well done. You should work at Dick Smith with me -- you know how to make it easy. Or HAVE 'know how' to make it easy, depending on what side of the bad grammatical pun you want to err on.
I should, but alas the drastic paycut and loss of holidays and lost opportunities to work overseas do not appeal to me. I did however spend 6hours yesterday teaching people how to use digital cameras and answering almost every question anyone could ever have on them :) Next Staurday it's into image manipulation.

Have you seen the latest DS ads? man do they stereotype you poor workers or what?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)