Sdd 2017 hsc (1 Viewer)

blinkandyoullmissit

HSC
N/A
See I understand that, but it said that every time a switch is turned on or off, the light changed states? Wouldn't that imply the last part of the truth table (1-1) would become a 0?
Thus, I thought XOR. Anyway, I thought it was fairly ambiguously worded. We will both get 1 mark at least!
I took the wording the same as you. So i simply used a XOR gate.

jarrjam

HSC
What did you guys get for that multiple choice question on what a one-dimensional array of Booleans could be used for?

Also I wasn't too sure about that binary search algorithm question where you had to fix the error in the code. I could only find one error which I fixed by changing the condition for the WHILE loop to (high - low) > 1. That would have stopped the infinite loop but since the question was like 2-3 marks, I feel like there was more errors in the code. Did anyone else find other errors?

Last edited:

Sxerks3

HSC
What did you guys get for that multiple choice question on what a one-dimensional array of Booleans could be used for?

Also I wasn't too sure about that binary search algorithm question where you had to fix the error in the code. I could only find one error which I fixed by changing the condition for the WHILE loop to (high - low) > 1. That would have stopped the infinite loop but since the question was like 2-3 marks, I feel like there was more errors in the code. Did anyone else find other errors?
I was confident it was the status of the traffic lights in a set, since they are either on or off (that was my reasoning for it).

Ahh, I wasn't confident with that, but I did notice "middle" instead of "Middle", which meant that they couldn't actually print anything out in the end, since variable names are case-sensitive. May have lost the only two marks in the whole exam, since I wasn't sure what the errors were. rip.

jarrjam

HSC
I was confident it was the status of the traffic lights in a set, since they are either on or off (that was my reasoning for it).

Ahh, I wasn't confident with that, but I did notice "middle" instead of "Middle", which meant that they couldn't actually print anything out in the end, since variable names are case-sensitive. May have lost the only two marks in the whole exam, since I wasn't sure what the errors were. rip.
Was it 'status' or 'state' of traffic lights? I read it as state of traffic lights, which I interpreted as whether the lights were red, yellow or green. I chose match results, because at the time I thought you could use booleans to represent either a win or a loss. And then I remembered after the exam that draws exist too (unless this particular football league didn't have draws).

As for the other question, I can't believe I didn't notice the lower case 'middle'. I remembered specifically searching for the misspelling of variable names for like 5 minutes. Well, there goes another mark.

Other than that and some of the other algorithm questions, the exam wasn't too difficult, especially the paradigms section. I praised the NESA gods when I saw there were no questions on the imperative paradigm.

Sxerks3

HSC
Was it 'status' or 'state' of traffic lights? I read it as state of traffic lights, which I interpreted as whether the lights were red, yellow or green. I chose match results, because at the time I thought you could use booleans to represent either a win or a loss. And then I remembered after the exam that draws exist too (unless this particular football league didn't have draws).

As for the other question, I can't believe I didn't notice the lower case 'middle'. I remembered specifically searching for the misspelling of variable names for like 5 minutes. Well, there goes another mark.

Other than that and some of the other algorithm questions, the exam wasn't too difficult, especially the paradigms section. I praised the NESA gods when I saw there were no questions on the imperative paradigm.
Oh yeah, it was state.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. There are three results that you can have for match results, whether they won, lost or they drew. But the state of the traffic lights could only be either "activated" or "inactivated". Hence, why I chose traffic lights. I could be wrong though, the wording was verrrry ambiguous, and you could technically argue neither.

Another mc, what did everyone put for the flowchart question (Q2)?

Last edited:

silverdawn565

HSC
I had an OR gate..
Same.

Traffic lights.
And only found one error but your solution is better than mine. I simply added AND Middle<>Low. Not sure if that was correct though because I literally kind of raced past that one so I had time to look my answers over. (I was surpised I had only 15mins left to look everything over whereas in my Trials I finished a whole hour early...) And I did not notice 'middle'.

Oh yeah, it was state.

Yeah, my thoughts as well. There are three results that you can have for match results, whether they won, lost or they drew. But the state of the traffic lights could only be either "activated" or "inactivated". Hence, why I chose traffic lights. I could be wrong though, the wording was verrrry ambiguous, and you could technically argue neither.

I can't exactly remember the question... I put down, wasn't there a data store as an option? Like database store... I think it was D... but I can't really remember. Hopefully they put the paper up in the next few days.

Last edited:

Sxerks3

HSC
Flowchart.gif

It was this flowchart, which was a casewhere flowchart.

jarrjam

HSC
Are you talking about the one where it asked how would you represent it as an algorithm? If so, I said it was a CASEWHERE.

Also for anyone who did Programming Paradigms, what did you do for the question where you had to make a discount method?

Sxerks3

HSC
tbhh, I found the mc harder than the rest of the paper. The sequential vs event driven software question was just confusing; narrowed it down to 2 possible answers, but I could not understand one of the choices at all.

jarrjam

HSC
tbhh, I found the mc harder than the rest of the paper. The sequential vs event driven software question was just confusing; narrowed it down to 2 possible answers, but I could not understand one of the choices at all.
Definitely agree that mc was harder than the rest of the paper. For that mc question, I'm pretty sure I didn't choose the ones which said that sequential was limited to self-checking elements (or whatever) and I think for my answer it said that the order of events in event-driven was not determined by the programmer, since event-driven reacts to the actions of the users.

Sxerks3

HSC
Are you talking about the one where it asked how would you represent it as an algorithm? If so, I said it was a CASEWHERE.

Also for anyone who did Programming Paradigms, what did you do for the question where you had to make a discount method?
I assumed the getPrice() method returned the current price, so I just said:
if itemNumber > 3 THEN
RETURN getPrice() * 0.9
ENDIF

something like that.

sparcut

HSC
N/A
I forgot what the Fetch-Execute Cycle was. Other than that pretty much everything good.

ROBO i just wrote

BEGIN

REP 5 # "Directions + numbers" #

END
Same, blanked on fetch-execute. But if the HSC has taught me anything, its knowing to BS answers, wrong a bunch of semi-coherent nonsense that will hopefully get a few marks. lul

silverdawn565

HSC
I personally thought MCQs actually started to resemble the difficulty of IPT MCQs (I tend to think IPT MC is harder than SDD MC but its debatable) where it looks like there could be more than one answer but you have to pick the best one (and sometimes you could even argue about what the correct answer is). But yea these MCQs seemed a little harder...

sparcut

HSC
N/A
I draw an OR gate as well.

My Truth table (assuming that if both are on, light will still be on)

Switch 1Switch 2Light
Haha, didn't realize I could have just used an OR gate, I over complicated it with and XOR and AND.

javaw_2017-11-01_13-40-54.png

jarrjam

HSC
I assumed the getPrice() method returned the current price, so I just said:
if itemNumber > 3 THEN
RETURN getPrice() * 0.9
ENDIF

something like that.
That was the only question in Programming Paradigms that I wasn't completely sure about. The way I did it was I made a purchase method (a public method) first which took quantity as input and then I had an IF statement which called a discount method (a private method) that returned quantity * price * 0.9 if the quantity was >= 3. I don't know if I was meant to go to that much effort but I had finished pretty early so I had a lot of time to make long answers.

Sxerks3

HSC
Well, there goes my state rank chance :( probably lost like 3 marks altogether 97/100

sparcut

HSC
N/A
Definitely agree that mc was harder than the rest of the paper. For that mc question, I'm pretty sure I didn't choose the ones which said that sequential was limited to self-checking elements (or whatever) and I think for my answer it said that the order of events in event-driven was not determined by the programmer, since event-driven reacts to the actions of the users.
Interesting, I said sequential would be limited to self-checking elements as with even driven you could check the element(s) on the event of keystroke etc. with sequential being (more) static. The other option for sequential was something like 'input can drastically affects the execution of the program', not 100% on that, but I thought it was more correct as event driven would "drastically" affect the execution as which/when an event is called is completely up to the input.

Sxerks3

HSC
Interesting, I said sequential would be limited to self-checking elements as with even driven you could check the element(s) on the event of keystroke etc. with sequential being (more) static. The other option for sequential was something like 'input can drastically affects the execution of the program', not 100% on that, but I thought it was more correct as event driven would "drastically" affect the execution as which/when an event is called is completely up to the input.
It was something like "User input does not drastically change the execution", which was what I put since I had no idea what the other one actually meant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)