Sdd 2017 hsc (1 Viewer)

silverdawn565

HSC
What did everyone get for the MC sort one? I chose selection and insert though i was tempted to go with all three
It was asking if it will affect the last certain number of elements after a certain number of passes right?

I avoided insertion sort because it goes sort of like this:
1|26589443
12|6589443
126|589443
1256|89443
and so on, does it not?
Like it takes the next number and inserts it so it doesn't reach the last two elements until it has almost finished inserting?
Meanwhile selection selects either the lowest or highest and places it at the front.
E.g. 24567831 It takes 1 and puts it at front: 12|456783
and bubble definitely can affect last two elements as it bubbles numbers to the end.

So I went for selection and bubble for that MC. I'm pretty sure that's right unless i misread the question in the exam.

skelmo

HSC
N/A
It was asking if it will affect the last certain number of elements after a certain number of passes right?

I avoided insertion sort because it goes sort of like this:
1|26589443
12|6589443
126|589443
1256|89443
and so on, does it not?
Like it takes the next number and inserts it so it doesn't reach the last two elements until it has almost finished inserting?
Meanwhile selection selects either the lowest or highest and places it at the front.
E.g. 24567831 It takes 1 and puts it at front: 12|456783
and bubble definitely can affect last two elements as it bubbles numbers to the end.

So I went for selection and bubble for that MC. I'm pretty sure that's right unless i misread the question in the exam.
I'm totally completely sure that multi was D. I have a teacher who practically wrote the original SDD syllabus, and she said it was D when we spoke after the exam - D as in all sorts work

silverdawn565

HSC
Wasn't the question asking 'which sort COULD have been used', which would imply that if its possible to affect only the last 2 elements with that sort then its correct (maybe I remembered the question wrong though)? I said bubble and selection. At the time, I thought if it was insertion, on the first pass it would have checked the 2nd element and if it did need to move the 2nd element to the end of the array, it would have changed the values of not only the last two elements but also the 2nd element. Bubble could also work because it might only swap the last 2 values on the first pass.
Sorry, missed your response. But I basically just repeated what you said.

silverdawn565

HSC
I'm totally completely sure that multi was D. I have a teacher who practically wrote the original SDD syllabus, and she said it was D when we spoke after the exam - D as in all sorts work
Really? Well I'm lost on that... maybe the insertion sort starts from the last two elements?

skelmo

HSC
N/A
Just a bit curious, are any of you guys in this form James Ruse Yr 10 accelerants? I just have a gut feeling, lol. Because I heard that they do year 12 HSC SDD in year 10

skelmo

HSC
N/A
Really? Well I'm lost on that... maybe the insertion sort starts from the last two elements?
its about the wording - it didn't say ALWAYS - it said CAN.
It is very possible to give a specific insertion sort example in which the criteria they gave can occur!
Although, I can't remember the question exactly, I would happily give an example.

jarrjam

HSC
It is very possible to give a specific insertion sort example in which the criteria they gave can occur!
Although, I can't remember the question exactly, I would happily give an example.
I guess that makes sense. I knew selection sorts could swap with the last element instead of the first element because I had seen it in a past paper but idk why I didn't think the same way for insertion sorts.

lilrose

HSC
damn I changed my answer last minute

Sxerks3

HSC
Same, my instinct was all, but like I then thought selection couldn't. :(((

silverdawn565

HSC
What did you guys choose for MC 6? I said C.
Also I was stuck on A or B for MC 8. I went with B but the answer might've been A...
Also was unsure about 10.

sparcut

HSC
N/A
A and B were definitely incorrect, as they said the event driven approach occurred in a fixed sequence of processes, which is definitely incorrect.
Yeah, was flipping through the paper since it's up, almost threw my mouse across the room when I saw the question again, I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. :vcross:

sparcut

HSC
N/A
Mmmm, the question uses "only" and "ALL" as in:

After the first pass of a sort, only the last two elements of an array have changed value.
Which list identifies ALL the possible sort methods that could have been used?

A. Bubble, selection
B. Bubble, insertion
C. Insertion, selection
D. Bubble, selection, insertion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)